1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

squier tele bullet

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Rob DiStefano, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Mosstone

Mosstone Tele-Meister

Everything causes cancer in California... Don't worry, if you don't live here, you'll be ok.

SecretSquirrel and DADGAD like this.
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice guitars!

Does the neck carve leave the fretboard edges flat and start curving after the fretboard glue line or is there an acute angle carved from the front face of the fretboard back, so not only a knife edge on the sides but it chews off a lot of wood on the rear shoulders. I often find width and depth are 0.5mm difference from MIM/MIA but that aggressive carve makes for too skinny of a neck for me.

The Indonesian factory is already producing guitars at the manufacturing-quality-repeatability level of the outgoing Korea factories and the late stages China factories. So generally, other than being too slavish of neck carvers, and the typical import pots/switch/jack, they are producing great guitars.

What are the first mods expected? Any 4-way switches? Rotating the control panel to put the switch to the back and volume up front?

DADGAD likes this.
  3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I received my "Lake Placid Blue" Bullet this week.
    Neither. The fretboard appears to follow the curve of the maple, up to the top surface of the laurel. The edge there is quite comfortable.
    All mine needed was a second string tree to quiet down the G. I installed it immediately after cleaning, restringing, and setting up the guitar.

EDIT one day later: The 3-way switch in my Bullet failed today. In the middle position, the bridge pickup started working intermittently. I resoldered both pickups' + and the volume pot's leads to the switch, but that didn't help. The problem was that the common lug on the bridge pickup side of the switch was loose, and I couldn't fix it. Luckily, I had an old but functional 3-way import switch in a parts bin, so I replaced the switch and I'm back in business.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Rockdog, SecretSquirrel and DADGAD like this.
  4. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Congrats to all of you with the new Bullets. That sparkle red is really nice.

5. TIM5150

TIM5150 TDPRI Member

They changed the logo on the newer ones. I think starting with the 2019 models. The Bullet strats have the change also. There’s nothing different about the guitars though at least in the Teles case. Just a different logo.

6. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks, it's lovely, and nice photos!

Minor update: I now see two of the common small finish cracks at the neck pocket corners. Not sure if I missed them before, or if they're new. I'm not worried in the least. The sparkle finish makes it almost impossible to see them.

The bridge pickup could be a little more gnarly (for lack of a better term)? I don't have experience with the different varieties of tele stock & replacement pickups. Anyone have observations on the bridge pickups in these?

7. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Sounds great! Post a picture when you can. :)

8. LutherBurger

I'm sorry -- I'm so bad at taking pictures that I don't even try anymore.

9. CavalierX

CavalierX TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

Squier "Bonamassa Nocaster" Bullet to the head. . . mod'ed with a price tag still under $270 into it. I may pull the neck off when I do the next string change and tint it more of a honey amber like a naturally aged vintage Tele instead of the stark white maple she is now.

Rockdog and SecretSquirrel like this.
  10. LutherBurger

I think you're right. It sounds like a Tele bridge pickup, which is nice, but there's nothing terribly exciting about it.

For S&G, I measured its DC resistance: 3.40 kOhm, which is about 1 kOhm less than that of the neck pickup.

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  11. hemmings

hemmings Tele-Meister

Wow, I didn't realise the output was that low?
    No wonder I changed mine, I found the original pickup too shrill, and didn't match the bassy output of the neck pickup well.
    I know a Tele pickup has bite to it, but there's good twang and ear cutting twang.

12. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

I bought a bullet Strat - great mod platform but the pickups there were in the 3k range. This is extreme cost cutting, using a very low wind with thin wire and using two powerful ceramic magnets to boost things. Not great - shrill as you said and using the same magnets with a greater wind makes a powerful but muddy pickup. The ceramics in the Affinity range do have a vintage wind but with only a single magnet and they sound quite good.

13. stevekolt

stevekolt TDPRI Member

In general, what are these models coming in as far as weight goes?

14. LesPaulPlayer001

LesPaulPlayer001 TDPRI Member

I just bought a Bullet three days ago. I really like it, the fretboard has some bad friction though. I already used some steel wool on the frets but I think that sanding is in order for the fretboard. The pickups are surprisingly decent, but I plan on putting in some Seymour Duncan Antiquities ('55 bridge, Antiquity 1 neck). Also, the strings kind of suck. But luckily it is heavier than I was expecting (I like heavy guitars), it weighs in at over 8 lbs, still 1 lb lighter than my Epi Les Paul though. Stevekolt, they usually weigh in around 7 lbs I have heard. Some people have had them as light as 6 1/4 and some I have heard over 9.

Mincer likes this.
  15. Chimey1

Chimey1 TDPRI Member

What color did you get? Are these really playable/giggable out of the box? Frets level?

I've been back and forth about ordering one to find out myself.

Thanks!

16. LesPaulPlayer001

I bought it in Surf Green. Yes, they actually are very playable out of the box. I got mine from Guitar Center, so I was able to try it out before I spent my money on it. The frets are level, perfect action, and there is no fret buzz, although there is buzz from the stupid volume knob rattling. Other than the fret board friction, which can be fixed, and the terrible strings, also fixable, it is a great guitar. It stays in tune well and plays great. Oh, and the frets don't stick out at all. Although this varies as their quality control isn't too consistent, which is why I recommend buying somewhere where you can try it first.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Chimey1 likes this.
  17. Slim60

Slim60 TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I made the mistake of trusting the strings that came with the kit, and the high E string came unraveled from the little brass thingy that's supposed to hold it at the bridge end.

No biggie.

Footsore likes this.
  18. LesPaulPlayer001

I'm debating weather to replace the strings or not. I will have to replace them in two months anyways because I will use Christmas to upgrade pickups and other stuff on the guitar. They are also only wound two times at the tuners, it looks kind of sketchy.

19. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I took #0000 steel wool to the back of the neck on mine, then polished the wood with a rag. Much nicer. (Did the same to my new Bullet Mustang.)

FenderGyrl and Dirtyclinic like this.
  20. LutherBurger

I removed the factory strings from mine immediately, so I could polish the grit off the frets and clean and oil the fretboard. The strings, themselves, were kinda nasty, too.

I put on my preferred .010 gauge set, with two wraps for the wound strings, three for the G, and four for the B and e.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.