1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

squier tele bullet

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Rob DiStefano, Jan 19, 2018.

1. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm excited to unbox mine when it comes, can't wait! :cool:

Slim60 likes this.
  2. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Holic

I almost bought one of those purple body/maple neck ones from Andertons. Came *this* close.

Slim60 likes this.
  3. Slim60

Slim60 TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Mine shipped early - expecting delivery on Monday!

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I just looked one of these over at the GC in Emeryville CA. Not bad.

5. SecretSquirrel

Same here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trying to contain my excitement. :cool:

I cleaned up the house and put out some flowers.

zammie, Rockdog, SuprHtr and 2 others like this.
  6. Slim60

It's here!
    DSCN5263.JPG DSCN5265.JPG DSCN5268.JPG DSCN5267.JPG

Sure is pretty!

KWal, Rockdog, Gipper and 2 others like this.
  7. SecretSquirrel

Arrrgh!!!

"Delivery Attempted

We missed you. We'll try again on the next business day."

They HAVE my front door security code, and this is the second time a slip said "no access, need door code."

I suspect it's due to the system UPS has now to track every minute of its drivers' activities, compelling them to rush through the day, skipping deliveries when it saves time and an excuse is available.

I stayed home today for this delivery. I called them, and after finally getting past the infuriating robot, I gave them a piece of my mind and begged for another attempt today. The lady said they'd call me within an hour and try a 2nd delivery, but they never did.

/rant

Slim60, congrats! I trust it passed the cat's QC inspection. :)

8. Slim60

No security in my location - driver didn't even knock on the door. They just dumped it and ran.

9. Gipper

Gipper Tele-Meister

Ordered mine yesterday!!! Have a Blackstar Fly 3 coming along with it.

Slim60 likes this.
  10. SecretSquirrel

WOW.

Quick review after an hour breaking in:

Surpasses all expectations, I'm totally knocked out. Perfect setup out of the box. (I checked.) Is MF doing pre-ship setups? Or is this the Indonesian factory's setup?—because this is all to spec, including nut slot depths. "Plays itself" with no issues found while riffing a bunch of stuff, a joy to play. Plays as good as any of my 10 other electrics. Amazing. I might buy another, just to see if they're all this good (and to have a spare to mod).

I'm definitely not imagining this; this $120 Squier Telecaster is a monumental deal, a collossal value, and a stupendously good player. I've played Squier Teles in the stores, none grabbed me the way this one does. I may discover small issues as I play it more, but the main structure of this baby is straight & solid.

Btw, the word 'Bullet' is not anywhere on the guitar — should I send it back?? :lol: "Hey, I only received a 'Squier'!" :lol:

Fret ends not sharp, nothing that needs attention right away, if at all. Frets are smooth, no 'grit' on bends. Comes strung with .009s, accounting for some of the easy playability (I'm used to .010s) but no getting around the well-made neck and good setup. Strings came wound high on the tuner posts, severely reducing the break angle and making the G string rattle occasionally behind the nut. I'll fix that when I replace the cheap strings.

I haven't gone over the frets with a rocker yet, I couldn't stop playing. I did measure the relief and action and did the 3rd-fret/1st-fret nutslot check. Pickups seem fine, sounds like a telecaster!—will better assess/compare tomorrow; I didn't even think about pickup height during the workout.

No finish cracks, all looks terrific, neck basically unfinished, not slippery for sure, feels fine. I'm underslept, running on NGD adrenaline :) will go over it more tomorrow.

*PICS*:)

0 Sparkle TELE 01.jpg

0 Sparkle TELE 02.jpg

0 Sparkle TELE 03.jpg

0 Sparkle TELE 04.jpg

0 Sparkle TELE 06.jpg

Wha...?? playing guitar now causes cancer?? :eek::rolleyes:

0 Sparkle TELE 05.jpg

0 Sparkle TELE 00.jpg

11. SecretSquirrel

Ordering the Bullet LE Mustang tomorrow. Same price. Oly White or Surf Green. :)

FenderGyrl likes this.
  12. Gipper

Gipper Tele-Meister

Sweeeeeet! Makes waiting for mine even more exciting!

13. SecretSquirrel

Going on two years after Rob DiStefano's OP, these Bullets are still knocking it out of the park (as we Americans say). Is it just these "Limited Edition" Bullets that are this good? It's interesting that they don't say "Bullet" on the guitar.

Just played on mine an hour longer. You won't be disappointed!

preactor likes this.
  14. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Congratulations SecretSquirrel! How would you describe the neck?

15. SecretSquirrel

Thanks! I'd call the neck slim, not fat; it's about 0.86" thick at the 10th fret, 42mm wide at the nut. Not super round at the back; Fender calls it a "C standard" shape. I like thin necks, this one definitely agrees with me.

Feels like no finish on the neck, different than my other guitars; I like it fine but later on might be tempted to apply some TruOil or similar stuff. Nice walnut skunk stripe. Even, darkish shade of rosewood for the fretboard.

Everybody says the tuners on these are the worst; one felt a little wishy-washy; any sign of crapping out and I'll get better ones.

I could make a mammoth ivory nut for it, but the factory nut looks perfect and I'm thinking "why bother?" Maybe some rainy day.

I haven't inspected the bridge really closely, I wonder how "good" the saddles are and if I should be thinking about upgrading them?

I'm chuckling at myself, my fuss over such a low-cost instrument, but man, the product is a remarkable achievement for the price.

Some of you will relate to this: there was a friend's Tele I played a few times in the 1990s and it was one of those unforgettable guitars that play like a dream and years later you're still sorta longing for a guitar that felt and played like that one. Now finally—this is my first regular, 6-string, capital-'T' Telecaster guitar "by Fender"!—I lucked out.

DADGAD likes this.
  16. stonge

stonge TDPRI Member

I received a red metal-flake Bullet yesterday. I'm pretty impressed with it - setup was very good (went to excellent with about 1/8 turn on the trussrod which was just personal preference) and intonation was good on my peterson headstock tuner. There was a little grittiness when bending which pretty much vanished with 10 minutes of polishing with 3M green and blue abrasive papers. There are barely 2 wraps of each string on the tuners so not much downforce and I expect the tone to get a little meatier with proper string installation but it still sounds pretty good. Pickups are ok, and I'm tweaking the height to my preferences but it is totally usable. Neck is a medium C (like my Indonesian Classic Vibe tele) and feels smooth (there's a slight sheen if you look at it off angles but it feels like no finish at all) with no fret sprout or high/low frets. I can't find any flaws in the finish, and the sparkle red really pops. Mine is a little heavy at 8lbs 7 ounces, but it does have a nice like glassiness in the tone. I'm planning to restring it with a properly installed set of .009s but leave it stock until something "needs" to be changed. I wish cheap guitars were this good when I started playing back when dinosaurs walked the earth.

17. SecretSquirrel

I still think it's odd that it doesn't say "Bullet" anywhere on the guitar. I'm good with it, but what's up with that?

18. SecretSquirrel

Congrats! Our guitars probably came over in the same shipping container.

I was going to mention, mine is about 8.5 lbs too. I prefer under 7 lbs but not complaining, I'll get a suede strap. A little surprised basswood is that heavy.

19. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

I was thinking the same. I have the BSB version so the wood grain is semi-visible. Although it's advertised as basswood, I wouldn't be surprised if they substituted poplar. I'm just basing that on the streaky look of the grain and extra weight. Plus, a lot of the other Indonesian Squier guitar and bass bodies are poplar. image1.jpeg

SecretSquirrel and DADGAD like this.
  20. Dirtyclinic

Dirtyclinic TDPRI Member

There are already pics of the red sparkle but I figured I would post anyhow. I got this yesterday in the mail. $119 shipped from Musician's Friend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SuprHtr, FenderGyrl, preactor and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.