1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

squier tele bullet

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Rob DiStefano, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Ted Keane

Ted Keane Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

GC has got some on sale that MF doesn't

2. CavalierX

CavalierX TDPRI Member

BSB FSR Bullet arrived via UPS yesterday evening:

Boxing was good and the Guitar was safe and secure the way they had wrapped it up. The guitar was kind of dirty- fresh Indonesian factory grime all over the neck and body. The strings were slack- clearly no one in the US had QC'ed this guitar it or even opened the box. It even smelled a little like a mix of harbor freight and a lumber yard.

The guitar is beautiful- I did not expect the stain/paint to be transparent and show off the grain and wood so well. The wood looks really nice; however it is clear that the body is not 1 solid piece of Poplar, but 5 pieces. 1 of the pieces is markedly darker than the others, but this has given the body an off center racing stripe for a very neat look. The neck was very RAW. If it had been lacquered or Poly'ed or whatever, it was just a hint or maybe even a mere suggestion as it moved down the production line. It was not really rough, but it was kind of grimy like it wasn't wiped down or finish sanded after it got that quick spray. I pulled out the old Murphy's oil soap (very dilute solution) and gave it a quick wipe down. This cleaned up the dust/grime, but the neck still had a raw, kind of unfinished rough feel. After I played it a bit I took a little scotch bright scrubby and a magic eraser to the neck and polished it up a bit. That made the neck feel much better- not so gritty, and just a little slick/smooth. This also knocked off some more dirt/grime I could see under better light on the work bench.

The Frets were in good shape- nothing sticking out or sharp. Someone must have given the fret ends a quick file/buff to clean them up. The Wood on the neck looks great, it’s stout and has no weird grain or issues. The neck is Chunky. I have a Squire CVC and that neck is thinner- same overall shape, but not as chunky. I think I will like the neck as it is still comfortably a handful and not clunky by any means. One thing that I did notice that I had not seen on any of my other guitars was that the Fret cuts in the neck came all the way past the end/edge of the fret board. Because of the filler they used to dress the ends and the wood this kind of stands out on several of the frets visually. It is not a good look.

I tightened up the strings after wiping it down threw on the tuner, stretched the strings out a bit and plugged her in. It sounds good- no surprises- no pops- no clicks or hisses. All of the controls are solid and working. The tuners are not great (I am guessing the 9s that are on it are cheap too). I tightened the heads of the tuners a little and this stopped the little bit of the play but they are only holding tune at about 85-90%. This might get better with better strings or after the strings break-in. I will likely change the stock tuners out for some “Hipshot Grip-Lock 6 inline Enclosed Staggered Post Locking Tuners” from amazon for $60. These tuners are supposed to fit and come with the mounting plates and should allow me to eliminate the string tree. The NUT… it is cut pretty well. I am not getting any audible slipping or popping on it, BUT the e-sting is REALLY close to the edge of the fret board and my fat fingers have been making it slip off. It is a weak little dainty little 9, but I think the stock nut will have to go and a TUSQ XL Fender-Style Slotted Nut - Aged White; that I ordered from MF also for $17. This will improve the tone, tuning, and fix the high-e string placement.

The guitar plays well, sounds nice, was set-up fairly well (it will require a tweak of the saddles as it is just a touch out of intonation), the action is pretty low, but with no buzzing or issues. The switches and pots do not feel especially cheap- or weak or bad. They are very useable as this time. The Pickups. . . sound good- I was surprised actually. There is no WOW factor to the tone, but they do have the pop and twang that a Tele should have. The Pups are a bit icy and thin though if you don’t roll back the volume just a touch- nothing shrill but a little cold and stabby. The pickups aren’t too hot or too quiet and I just tweaked the bridge for a little more bass and less ice giving it a little downhill slope.

I will play it as is for a while and swap out the previously mentioned tuners and nut. I will change out the strings to my light top heavy bottoms 10-52s and reset the guitar for the new strings. I will give it at least a month before any other changes.

Over all this is an AMAZING DEAL and I wanted to say Thanks for the advice and heads on this guitar. I am sure it will be well loved- and I am looking forward to handing it down someday to my kid.

3. Hokyjoe

Hokyjoe TDPRI Member

Mine arrived this past Wednesday and I've been slowly working to adjust everything in its stock form and so far its all good. I also have a Modern Player Plus but wanted a bridge single coil tele and rolled the dice on this little bugger and I am very happy so far. This is a guitar that needs to be played in or broken in. And the sound and sustain of the stock pickups is pretty good. I adjusted them a bit with good results. The tuners are holding tune and intonation is adjusted along with a little neck relief. Not bad at all and fun to play. 20190428_013604.jpg

4. SvenTele

SvenTele TDPRI Member

Thanks for the good word! Yeah, what you're saying makes sense. I've been swamped at work, but plan on doing a string change (graphite nut), new pickguard, and NOW a good fret polishing!

I cannot believe how great of a guitar this is for $130.00!! I love my CV50, but I dig how light this bullet is in comparison!

Thanks again for the advice!

5. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

Almost finished modding this one.
    Ended up leveling the frets. Dragonfire Texas Tone PUPS-$49.
    Brass saddles from my parts box..Squier tuning keys from the parts box. New logo. 6000 sandpaper used on the back of the neck. Graphite nut. New pickguard I had lying around.

Rounded / rolled the fretboard edges. Feels like a broken in neck now. ;)

I broke the tone pot yesterday.:rolleyes:
    Gonna rewire it next weekend anyways.

Played it at a loose jam with some friends yesterday.
    Loads of fun. The Texas Tones are way cool.
    I preordered the Red Sparkle for $129.
    :D
    20190512_124253.jpg 20190512_124352.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    hemmings and DADGAD like this.
  6. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I own one of these in surf green/rosewood. The 42mm neck has a great profile and is a joy to play. How consistent are the neck shapes and profiles on these Indonesian Bullet Teles?

If I get another, I'd have to order it online. My concern is the neck shapes may be different. I want to get one in maple/BSB.

For anyone who owns more than one Bullet Tele, how do your neck shapes compare?

7. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

i've owned and worked on more than a dozen of the indonesian built tele and strat bullets. they all have the exact same (rosewood board) neck back shape, as expected via the results of a CNC wood grinder.

zammie and DADGAD like this.
  8. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Thanks, Rob. Perhaps I wasn't clear. Are the Bullet maple neck shapes the same as the rosewood/Indian Laurel neck shapes?

9. Rob DiStefano

i don't have first and info about the all maple necks, but my educated guess would be if they're of indonesian origin they're CNC'd as well to the same spex.

DADGAD likes this.
  10. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Well... I done did it. Mine should arrive on Tuesday (Surf Green). While I recognize everyone saying these are fun guitars right out of the box, I'm really looking to build another esquire. I've got a Lil 59 I've been wanting to try. I'm not yet certain of my electronics setup... I'm considering series/parallel only and then whether or not to do a Tone pot or just Volume. I'm going to do the usual Electrosocket/Switchcraft jack setup. I'm lousy at soldering, so I'm going to do everything at once and call it good. Pretty darn excited!

PSA: I ordered from Musicians Friend while they had it priced at $129, but I did so through Google Express, where I received a coupon for ordering from them for the first time. So the guitar is coming to my door for a whopping $120.72!

11. Rob DiStefano

thumbsup.gif

rockymtnguitar likes this.
  12. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Every thing in the U.S. is "free"...[whine] [snivel]...!:lol:
    Good for you!!

13. Rob DiStefano

nah, just the opposite. the "free" thing is all about marketing smoke 'n' mirrors. nothing offered on the free market is ever truly free. o_O

14. esteewee

esteewee TDPRI Member

I have the surf green one for about a year now. The string ferrules are sticking out a bit, apart from that it feels well built.

The color of the neck was a bit too light for my taste, so I have sprayed some amber tinted lacquer on it. It's not perfect but I think it looks much better now. I like fiddling around with cheap guitars like that.

Also, I didn't really like the stock pups, so I have replaced them with a set of Toneriders. It sounds almost as nice as my CV Tele now. But since it's way lighter, it has now become my number one guitar to gig with.

There is one strange thing though: after a few months, the frets were sticking out of the neck a bit. I guess the wood must have shrunk. A little while later, the neck was all good again and it still is. Weird.

Overall I'm quite happy with the guitar. I bought as a backup it because it was cheap and looked good but it has become my main axe.

15. Rob DiStefano

humidity, or lack thereof, can do that. typically though, once the wood shrinks its rare to have it swell back. you got lucky.

16. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The following is a public service announcement...

THESE ARE NOW ON SALE AT MF FOR $119.99 (US)

Red Sparkle or Lake Placid Blue — Pre-order— "Expected to Ship 01-25-2020"

After reading this thread, I was excited about scoring one, so been keeping an eye on the sales. Today I had the extra funds, but the one on sale was Lake Placid Blue, which is okay but not for me with that mint pickguard. I spent the afternoon searching the usual sites for a similar deal on a color I liked. Also looked at Bullet Mustangs...but just ended up undecided...and frustrated. :confused:

I went out to do some errands for awhile, came home and obsessively checked the MF page again — and this time Red Sparkle was also $120!

(I wonder if MF's computers, or sales or IT people, noticed me hanging around all day, clicking between the blue and the red, and decided to lower the price on the red, too, to clinch a sale. If so, it worked. I had assumed they just had more of the blue to offload.)

So mine is reserved, looking at about...three...long... weeks...for delivery. Fingers crossed it's a good one. :)

Slim60 and DADGAD like this.
  17. SecretSquirrel

Wait... "1-25-2020" is not in three weeks! More like four months! I confused this ship date with another item's future ship date. So I must wait until literally next year to receive the red sparkle Tele? :(

My first thought on realizing my error, was to cancel and buy something else—but I may never see that $120 price again, so I'll wait it out.

(I just might have to buy a Bullet Mustang—also on sale around the Web—as a stopgap GAS reliever.)

18. SecretSquirrel

Wait again...for those interested in this deal — I just got an email from MF saying the expected ship date is indeed 10-09-2019...

Now, compared to four months, three weeks won't seem so long!

[​IMG]
    Squier Limited Edition Bullet Telecaster Electric Guitar Red Sparkle
    Item: L21128000001000
    Condition: New
    Expected to ship by 10-09-2019
    $119.99

Slim60 and SuprHtr like this.
  19. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

I thought about replacing both pickups on an Affinity, bought them and everything, ended up keeping the neck pup! Those things actually sound pretty sweet!

20. Slim60

Slim60 TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I went ahead and put in a pre-order for one of these. Just feel the need to have a straight up six string to meddle around with.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    SecretSquirrel likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.