Squier tele... better neck than professional

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Webfoot, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

I have been through a couple of high end teles and currently have a 2018 american pro.

So I am amp shopping and grab a Squier which is 1.65" nut and barewood neck. My ability to do bends, 1/4 note bends, pull offs, hammer ons, was about 3x more articulate than the glossy high end teles. Now the squier tuners, pickups etc were not as good but the playability was excellent. Felt like bigget frets. Neck shape also better.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  2. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

What model/line of Squier Tele was it?

There's the Squier Standard, Affinity, Bullet, and various Vintage Mods and Classic Vibes...

3. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

Don't know unfortunately. Did not even look at the price.

4. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Awesome that you found a guitar you like so much. :)

I had a Squier Jazzmaster with a neck like you describe. I sold it cause I found out I'm not much of a Jazzmaster guy, but that neck really was great.

Deathray likes this.
  5. FloInPA

FloInPA TDPRI Member

I love the neck on my Classic Vibe Tele, it's so comfortable to play. If I could keep only one of my 3 electrics, hands down it would be the one.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

I don't know about better, and the tuners are coarse, but the neck on my Indonesian Bullet Strat is quite comfortable, with satin finish and no rough frets. The body, though plywood, is light. Bought it at a pawn shop for US$60 to unbolt and travel with.

7. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Sounds like you may not be doing amp shopping any more. ;)

8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The wood and frets don't know what brand they are because they cant read and are impervious to marketing.
    Sounds like you just found the right combination, specs and the guitar had a suitable setup for you..

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Most of the Squiers they carve the rear shoulders of the neck off, starting at the leading edge of the fretboard which makes the circumference a lot smaller even when the width/depth is within 0.5 to 1mm of MIM/MIA.

I think you figured out you like skinny guitar necks.

Me, I had to stop buying Squiers because I want chunky necked guitars. It would be nice if Squier offered two neck styles and clearly labeled them in some way easy to see in potato-pictures. They would sell a lot more Squiers instead of other S-style brands...

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

of course BETTER is very subjective. Put 50 players in a line comparing, "BETTER" becomes a debate.

11. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Luckily he didn’t take note the model of the guitar when he tried it. Lol.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

If you were so impressed with the Squier, why didn't you at least try and find out what model it was? You know if you ever go back to find it, it will probably be gone, and twenty years from now you'll be telling the story of the "one that got away"......:)
    Did you buy an amp?

Chunkocaster and hellopike like this.
  13. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I have an Affinity Strat that came with a surprisingly good neck just like you describe... it's a fun guitar to play. The neck is thinner than my MIM tele neck. I kind of bounce back and forth between the two, and I don't really favor one over the other... they're just different.

14. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I have 3 CVs, 2 strats and a tele and i feel that way about all of them. In fact, my last fender may be on the chopping block soon leaving my collection 100% classic vibe ! I not only don't feel the slightest compromise but i'm happier with my guitars than in many years. My CV 60s strat is especially amazing as the neck feel goes but also is fantastic in the way my picking hand angle is such that i pick better. Never had a strat that accomplished that before. I attribute it to the body's contours that are more exaggerated then other strats. If a guitar's quality is to be judged you like it, these are up there with most anything for me.

FloInPA likes this.
  15. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

Necks are worth keeping. Anything that improves your touch is worthy of your attention. If everything else sucks, then buy it for the neck.
    I started my musical life on crap electrics before getting a Squier Telecaster, which in 1988 looked like a small step up rather than a large one. Then I moved on to acoustic guitars before going toward mandolins. But I never got rid of the Squier Tele. The neck alone, according to a couple luthiers, is worth the cost of getting the whole thing sorted.

It's coming home tonight with a new bridge pickup, wired as an Esquire, and with a reversed control plate. Something I have wanted to do for 10 years.

Daniel

DanDII, LocoTex and hellopike like this.
  16. jshape

jshape TDPRI Member

Totally agree. There's gotta be something behind this from a marketing or expense standpoint for Fender. I would literally go out and buy about 3 Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified Fenders right now if I could find them with chunky necks.

17. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Squier Vintage Modified 72 Thinline Telecaster was my choice when trying out the MIM and USA Thinline ar the shop.

The neck is very nice to play and sounds great. I have an USA Tele that has a similar neck feel. I try to standardize the necks on my guitars.

YMMV

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.