Squier Standart Tellie

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Peterquelle, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Peterquelle

Peterquelle Tele-Meister

Hi, i just saw an Squier Standart Tellie on the web for sale. Just a few miles away from me. It would cost 160 € which is 210 USD at the current exchange rate. Do you recommend it as a first Tellie ? I already have a quite nice Les Paul Copy and a Line 6 Spider IV Amp.

2. notdave

notdave Tele-Afflicted

3. Peterquelle

Peterquelle Tele-Meister

So you dont think Squier Standart is completly Crap.

4. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

They are not, I actually like the necks on them very much. I have used them as mod platforms on two Esquire builds and am very happy with the results. However, since it's your first tele and you probably don't have a lot of modding experience, make sure you like the guitar as it is before buying. If it sounds good and plays good and you feel the price is a good deal, go ahead and buy it.

5. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

The Standard is definitely not 'crap'.
    If the one you are interested in is a good example then you are looking at a good guitar. Possibly even a very good one.

The thing to remember about Squier 'Standard' series is that they were never 'standard' for very long at any given time! -
    Spec will vary depending on age, and where they were made.

Though that seems to be less of the case more recently.

6. Peterquelle

Peterquelle Tele-Meister

Yeah im searching for a good base to maybe change some things. I already changed the Pickups on my Les Paul. So i know how guitars work and so on.

7. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

OK, one thing i remember - some (just a few) of the earlier models had necks that were quite narrow at the nut width apparently - something like 40mm instead of around 42.mm

If so, maybe that was a batch - at a time - from a factory.

As Bones said - try to get a chance to play it and check it out.

8. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Tele-Holic

My main Tele is a Squier Standard. It's actually a nice guitar. You may want to change out the switch at some point, but otherwise it's a very capable instrument.

In general, I like Squiers. In addition the the Standard, I also have a Pro Tone and a Squier Mexi Strat. I'm currently shopping for a CVC.....

9. Bones

You have to remember, if you want to do things like putting an ashtray bridge on it, it's not easy to do a direct swap. If you want vintage style tuners, you will need conversion bushings as well. If you want to change the pickguard to a Fender spec one, you will also have to change the control plate or at the very least re-shape the pickguard(new control plate is easier). So if you decide to mod it, make sure you check in here BEFORE you buy any parts so that we can help you avoid disappointment and wasted time/money.

This one started out as a blonde Squier standard...

Attached Files:

• b1.jpg
      b1.jpg
      File size:
      59.2 KB
      Views:
    • b2.jpg
      b2.jpg
      File size:
      37.8 KB
      Views:
    • b3.jpg
      b3.jpg
      File size:
      27.7 KB
      Views:
    • b4.jpg
      b4.jpg
      File size:
      16.7 KB
      Views:
  10. Peterquelle

Peterquelle Tele-Meister

Ok, thanks for the answers. Very nice. I gonna tell if i buy it or not, after i played it.

Edit: By the way, your tellie looks awesome. But isnt the Control Plate the wrong way round = :confused:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  11. Bones

According to who?:D

12. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Here is mine...

[​IMG]

It was my first tele as well. I've modded it a little. I wanted a humbucker in the neck so I made my own pickguard. Neck itself is wide enough and plays fast. I'm using 11's, so I went for a new bone nut with wider string spacing. Mine was made in Indonesia and is a good guality guitar.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with the original tuners and bridge. If you want an ashtray bridge and vintage tuners consider saving a little more money and get a Squier CV 50's. Good luck!

13. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

98 MIM Squier. My #1!

0719110719.jpg

14. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

My main guitar is a 2007 Squier standard tele. I redid the jack, took the cover off the front pickup, changed the bridge (3 saddle), a little of this, a little of that, over the years.... but it was fine right out of the box and has served me well over many gigs. I wouldn't turn my nose up at a squier tele. Lots of good ones out there and few that are genuinely great instruments.

15. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Great guitars Squier Stds IMO, though they are not that compatible with other aftermarket parts.

3 saddle bridge is do-able but with a lot of work.

Necks are nice, as are the pickups when connected with a 4 way switch.

I have owned a few, then turned them into these

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. ATWells

ATWells TDPRI Member

My second guitar and first Tele was a Squier Standard. Technically it was a Black & Chrome special edition, but I bought it used without the pickguard. It was a great guitar and I loved it, but it became a casualty of downsizing the collection during a move a few years back. I'd happily buy another one if I needed another guitar and that's all I could afford.

While that guitar is gone, it's picture is still my forum avatar.

17. Peterquelle

Peterquelle Tele-Meister

Thank you for the pics and the answers. Im going to play it tommorow. If i buy it, i will go for a 3 Saddle Bridge. Is a Wilkinson Bridge recommendable ?

18. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

I just used the good ol' $12 Fender vintage bridge with 3 brass saddles. I am sure the Wilkinson would be fine.

I had to drill new holes in my guitar as the vintage style uses 4 mounting srcews but it really is easy to do if you are handy at all. My MIM Squier was a toploader so I drilled out my new bridge to keep it a toploader.

As Red Green always says "if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy" ...Keep your stick on the ice.

19. Bones

Here's the deal, the worst place you can start is with a 3 saddle bridge. It's not a direct replacement for the bridge that is on it stock.

You have 2-3 options here.

1.Remove the stock bridge and use a Wilkinson "dual loader" bridge and with minimal effort you can mount and use the top loader string holes. Fill the old mounting holes, leave the string through holes as they are.

2. Remove the stock bridge, plug all the mounting and string trough holes
    than drill all new mounting and string through holes and refinish the guitar.

3.Plug all the holes refinish the guitar and mount the Wilkinson and use as a top-loader.

Both of my Squier standards are top-loaders now, one is filled and refinished one still has the original string through holes and ferrules intact. The black one I posted here as you can see doesn't have string through holes anymore and the guitar is completely refinished in black metallic nitro.

This is not an easy job for the inexperienced, but you have to start somewhere, IMHO this isn't the place to start.

20. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Bones, Im confused (which is easy to do).

My MIM Squier Tele was a toploader (just like MIM Standards of the day) so it was easy to put on a Fender vintage bridge and keep it a toploader.

The original poster is buying a standard Squier, which may very well be a string thru. Are you saying the string thru holes on the standard will not line up with the sting holes on a vintage style replacement bridge?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.