Squier Standard or used Fender Blacktop

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Doctorbb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Doctorbb

Doctorbb TDPRI Member

Hello everyone. Been a while since I’ve visited. I’ve been wanting a Tele for a while and thought I’d settled for the Squier Standard, just something to pick on around the house. However, I found a used Fender Blacktop (dual humbuckers) for the same price. Not really the color or style of Tele I was looking for, but more bang for the buck seems obvious. I have a Fender Standard Strat so I know the quality of MIM but have never seen or played a Squier Standard, only the Affinity and Bullets and didn’t care for those. Don’t suppose the blacktop has coil split function does it? I already have an LP with humbuckers and figure the blacktop would sound about the same. Thanks in advance for reply.

2. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I think part of it depends on if you want a more classic Tele tone. If so, the Standard will bring much more of that than the Blacktop. You could always replace the Blacktop's humbuckers with ones that split, but you likely still won't get exactly that Tele sound (much of it comes from the Tele-specific bridge config. So I guess I'd start there - what sound do you want?

I haven't played the Standard, so I can't compare it against other Squiers, but craftsmanship in general seems to be pretty good overall. There are lemons and gems. Depending on your price options you could move up toward a used MiM Tele (Fender) or a Squier Classic Vibe (new/used).

3. Doctorbb

Doctorbb TDPRI Member

I played a couple of the Classic Vibes but didn't care for all the poly on the finish. There's not a lot of tele's around here for some reason, so I would be buying the Squier Standard online, guess that's hit or miss. Looking to stay in the $225 - $300 range. I want a rosewood fingerboard though and don't think Fender makes a Standard with that option, so that's why the Squier Standard looked appealing, and the Blacktop I mentioned has rosewood. Thought about the split humbucker option or just replacing the whole pickguard, pickups and bridge. I would guess the neck on the Blacktop might be of better quality than the Squier also.

4. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Any chance you could visit Houston and look round a few guitar stores to find a guitar you really like instead of chancing it online or buying the Blacktop and immediately having to spend more money on modding? In the long run it might be worth investing the time/effort/gas. It could be fun too.

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

You'll need to have your hands on the guitar and play it through an amp to determine if the tone and neck are what you like.

FWIW, the Blacktop has dark-sounding pickups. It really doesn't have anything like classic Tele tone in it. Splitting a humbucker doesn't equate to classic Tele tone, either.

6. Doctorbb

Doctorbb TDPRI Member

I looked in a couple shops in Houston, no used Teles, except Classic Vibe and USA. That was a while back though. May revisit that option.
    Thanks for the reply.

7. MA6200

MA6200 Tele-Meister

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Blacktop is a pretty dreadful tele, I'd much rather have a Squier Standard. If the poly on the Classic Vibe threw you off, the blacktop is also gloss poly on the neck and body. The bridge, pickups, pots on the Blacktop are junk IMO. And it is a dark sounding guitar that doesn't capture any of the Tele sound.

You can improve it with an expensive bridge (Hipshot) and new pickups and new pots... that's an extra $200 or so of (IMO necessary) improvements.

FWIW/my2¢

9. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

^+1 As the past owner of the aforementioned Blacktop Telecaster everything waparker4 says is true. Get the Squier Standard instead. Have you seen a CV Custom Telecaster? Pretty much everything has a poly finish these days.

10. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I love the gloss necks of the CV and I already have a Squier Standard (which is underrated in my book), but I'd love to find a Fender blacktop. Bridge, pickups and electronics can easily be replaced if needed.
    I like the looks and have the classic tele tone covered with other guitars, so it could be just another (darker, hey it's a BLACK-top ;)) sound.

11. hippychip

hippychip Tele-Meister

The Blacktop sounds NOTHING like a Les Paul, and certainly is NOT a Tele, except for the body shape!

12. Doctorbb

Doctorbb TDPRI Member

Doesn't sound very appealing either way, think I'll pass unless I can get it dirt cheap. Thanks for the comments.

Jimmy Owen likes this.
  13. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

My #1 is a Blacktop. It cannot reproduce single coil Tele sounds, and in IMO, dual humbuckers alone do not make a Les Paul.
    I love this guitar to death. I have DiMarzio Bluesbuckers in it and steel saddles. I play in two projects; one power trio, one 8 piece (guitars, keys and sax). She shines in both contexts.
    YMMV, but I don't get the the bashing; it's not a "Tele" but why would you expect it to be?

OP: please do seek out traditional Tele single coil setup if that's what you desire.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.