Squier Standard I.D. Please

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Caper, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Caper

Caper Friend of Leo's

I took a quick look at a Squier Standard yesterday. I didn't have enough time to plug it in but I did notice that it was very well built. It was charcoal grey with a rosewood neck and a humbucker with chrome cover in the neck position. The frets were finished very nicely. One other thing it had a Harley sticker on the body, it looked new. I tried searching the web but couldn't find one. Anybody know anything about this model?

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Except for the Harley Davidson sticker, which I can't help you with, the guitar sounds like a Cort made in Indonesia Squier Fat Tele. The color is what I call metallic black, white 8 hole pickguard, typical asian spec three way switching and small pots, inexpensive but tolerable tuners, inexpensive and intolerable white plastic nut, through strung, dead minimum chamfer with gloss thin poly body finish. 6 saddle modern style bridge, really decent single coil alnico bridge pickup. I change out the wax potted neck bucker with a Seymour Duncan, though in one case I pulled both pups and installed Keystones with a new pickguard.

Unless your guitar is a lighter grey, could this be the one? Is that one made in Indonesia? I like mine, very serious with a SD Seth Lover or 59 Model in the neck spot.

The Tele Special came in a lighter edwardian grey, but with a bridge bucker and no pickguard, almost as nice.

Bubbanov

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  3. Caper

Caper Friend of Leo's

Bubba, can't remember the origin, I was in a bit of a hurry when I looked at it. I might take a better look at it tomorrow. The color was definitely dark and metallic, the lighting is extremely bad in this shop, kinda like a dungeon. I originally thought it was charcoal metallic but I can see how it could have been a black metallic, like I said I was in a bit of a hurry. Everything else is as you've described. This one weighed about 8 lbs at the most and the finish was much thinner than on the Mexican Standards.

4. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Satin Pewter Metallic was available a couple of years ago on some Squier Teles and Strats. My Frontlines for 2004, 2005 and 2006 show a Standard Double Fat Strat in that finish, and it's gray. The 2004 Frontline had the color options for Squiers listed by number code only with no legend, but the 2005 and 2006 had them spelled out in the description of each model. In those, Satin Pewter Metallic is listed for the Tele Special (uncovered HB bridge pup and Strat neck pup, no pickguard) but not for the Standard or Standard Fat.

If you get back to look at it, check for a serial number. If it's a CII (crafted in Indonesia) model the number be on the back of the headstock and will begin with IC (Indonesia Cort) and the next two digits are the production year code.

5. bowlfreshener

bowlfreshener Friend of Leo's

Pics would help ID this guitar, but to me it sounds like a Black Metallic Squier Standard Fat Tele since you mentioned the neck-covered humbucker. The Harley sticker may just be an add-on from the previous owner. You won't find any info, other than a wiring diagram on the Squier site, because the Fat Teles were discontinued last year since Squier's Vintage Modified Tele has a neck hum-bridge single offering as well...If it is a Fat Tele, good score, I own 3, and kind of keep an eye out for any that I might be able to get for a good price...

6. yegbert

Here's a recent ebay sale on a Squier Standard Fat Tele. That's seems to be about average ebay price for one in its condition.

Here and here are a couple other recent ebay sales that are good examples of price, they are the Standard model not the Standard Fat model though. That first one is in the now discontinued 3TS (3 tone sunburst) finish, the current production burst is 3 tone Antique Burst. That second one is the earlier version dual-loader bridge and a 21-fret maple fretboard. In 2000 they switched the Standard Series from 21-fret maple to 22-fret rosewood. You can find some Sam Ash special run Standard Fat Teles in 22 fret maple that were made after that, but otherwise any Standards are rosewood. But since 2007 they have the 21-fret maple on the Vintage Modified SH and SSH models. And if you're open to humbuckering the Tele bridge too, there's the Vintage Modified Custom and Custom II which have 22-fret maple fretboards.

7. Caper

Caper Friend of Leo's

Serial # is ICO10820179, Black Metallic Squier Standard Fat Tele, made in Indonesia. I just checked the 2001 Frontline and lo and behold a small pic of it on page 153 identified as a Fat Tele 032-1300. One of the guys I deal with sold it originally back in 2001 and the guy came in and traded it in on another guitar. He claimed he never used it, shoved it under the bed and never played it. There's not a mark on it. When I plugged it in I discovered the neck pickup didn't work, could be something minor. I might make an offer on it.

8. bowlfreshener

bowlfreshener Friend of Leo's

I say buy it. I am patiently awaiting for a deal to come around on a Candy Apple Red Fat Tele as I have a Black Metallic, Vintage Blond, and Antique Burst, and need to CAR to get the entire set...lol.

9. metulmykul

metulmykul Tele-Holic

I 2nd bowlfreshener!

10. Caper

Caper Friend of Leo's

I told them to hold it for me. I got a real itch for a new American Series but will wait till school is over. For the time being I'll have a bit of fun modding this one. The neck pickup didn't work, not sure if it's the pickup or the switch. Could be a broken connection too I guess. I was planning on swapping the pots, switch, and nut right off the bat anyway.

11. The Whale

The Whale TDPRI Member

So I just picked up a Squire Standerd that has a standerd pick up in the neck position is this guitar slotted under the pick guard for a humbucker at the neck position if I want to drop one in?

12. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Is it a new Standard? If so the one I bought in Dec has just a single route in the neck position. I can't speak for older models.

13. yegbert

I have a few Squier Standard Teles. The oldest of them is a 1998 model, the first year of Indonesian Cort production. Non of them came with a humbucker rout in the neck position.

14. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Hey yegbert, did they make a HS config or just the SS and HH?

15. yegbert

There were SH Teles (bridge single coil and humbucker neck) made in Korea as one model in the Pro Tone Series in the mid/late '90s, then in Indonesia as one model in the Standard Series (Standard Fat Tele) beginning at least as early as 2000 and continuing through 2006, and now in India as one model in part of the Vintage Modified Series (Vintage Modified SH). There's also the SSH in the VM Series which has a middle Strat pickup and a minibucker neck.

There was an HS Tele (bridge humbucker and single coil neck) made in Indonesia as the Squier Tele Special, and there are two of them being made now (not sure where, 032 prefix suggests Indonesia) in the Obey Graphic Series.

There may be others too.

Here's my SH 2000 Squier Fat Tele. This one is actually one from a Sam Ash Special Run that ran starting in 2000 for a few years, the notable differences from the standard production Fat Teles during that same time are the maple fretboard and the finish on the headstock face. I converted the bridge from the stock modern style with 6 rectangular saddles, to the one you see in this picture that's vintage style with 3 steel saddles.

[​IMG]

Here's my HS Squire Tele Special the way it came from the factory. It has a single coil in the bridge currently.

[​IMG]

16. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Man, you are just a wealth on Squiers. Thanks!

17. Caper

Caper Friend of Leo's

yegbert any chance you could post a close up pic of the vintage bridge. Also wondering if you knew whether or not an American Standard bridge would be a good fit on these guitars? Thanks.

18. yegbert

I don't have a closeup pic of that vintage bridge, however here are a couple of my '05 Squier Standard Tele, which had the same spec stock bridge and body holes as that 2000 Fat Tele, and which I converted using the same method. There are other pics in my gallery of Squier Standard Teles I converted, that had the earlier ('98-'00) spec bridge and body holes.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

The string through holes on the '00-'08 Squier Standard Teles are compatible with the American Standard bridge string through holes. The screw holes are in a different location though.

19. The Whale

The Whale TDPRI Member

Is there an actual functual diffrence between the 3 peice sadels and the 6 individual sadels? Why the change. People really seem to like the old 3 T shaped sadels.... sorry about the spelling and bad terminoligy here guys I'm a newbie.

20. yegbert

I first tried this mod on my '98 Squier Standard Tele. When I did that one I switched back and forth between the stock bridge and a vintage style bridge.

I perceived a tonal difference between the stock thick magnetic L-shaped bridgeplate with 6 barrel-shaped saddles and the thin magnetic pressed steel vintage bridgeplate with three barrel shaped saddles. At the time I was using chrome or nickel plated threaded brass Allparts saddles on the vintage style bridgeplate. The stock Squier had a somewhat shallow break angle even with the strings loaded through the body, and the initial vintage conversion was toploaded, so the break angle was still somewhat shallow:

[​IMG]

The '05 Tele I pictured earlier was slightly different, the stock saddles were rectangular and the stock break angle was very steep. Due to the close proximity of the old string through holes and the new screw holes I filled the old string throughs before I drilled, so it wasn't a simple matter to switch back and forth to compare. However, I believe the conversion changed its tone in a similar way as the conversion on the '98.

At the time I converted those Teles I liked the tone of the Teles with their vintage spec bridges much better than I liked the tone of the stock Squiers. Since then I've rethought that. I still think they have the potential to sound different. However, I now think both vintage and modern bridge equipped Teles can sound good. And I think I can tweak either with pickup changes, adjustments on the Tele and amp controls and playing technique to get somewhat similar results with either.

I have an '03 I have left mostly stock including the original bridge so I can do more comparisons. The only mod I've done on it that affects its tone is switching from 500k to 250k pots, and I'll probably switch that back one of these days for grins.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.