Squier Standard 2 post preventative fix.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Miguello, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Miguello

Miguello Tele-Meister

I have noticed a few of the Squier Standards in pawn shops, and now many more online. The bottom stud of a two point bridge pulls forward with enough force to crack the thin wood between the bridge block and routing, and allows the bridge stud to lift out of the body. Since I am planning to pick one of these up tomorrow that ISN'T broken, I was thinking of a preventative measure to stop it from happening.

First off since I use E Flat tuning on all of my Strats, that will take a LOT of the pressure off immediately.

Second, I am planning on taking a look at some flat corner brackets, and see which one would have the right screw spacing to fit between the posts, cutting one leg off, and screwing it into the back of the routing with the longer end sitting against the lower bridge post. That should brace it up quite well IMHO.

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 12.50.51 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 1.18.15 AM.png

2. Miguello

Miguello Tele-Meister

And the dreaded cracking point..... I have only seen one crack on the upper post, most I have seen crack on the lower post. If it can be done, I will try to get the bracket to cover both posts

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 1.29.19 AM.png

3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I've never seen this on an American guitar, but it seems common on the Squiers. Is it because the Agathis they use is too soft?

4. Miguello

Miguello Tele-Meister

Not sure, but agathis is harder generally than most of the ashes or even alder. Maybe being harder it's more brittle to a side load, especially when they routed for humbuckers in the bridge, leaving very little material between the routing and the studs. And add to that most owners think they're SRV and try to run 13's on them thinking everything will be fine.

Notice the extra wood between the routing and studs on an American body? They seemed to have purposely left much more material in front of the studs. I think the Squier problem is more of a design flaw than anything, and not much of it has to do with the type of wood.

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 3.16.29 AM.png

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  5. Miguello

Miguello Tele-Meister

But anyway. The two post bridge looks nice. The neck feel is pretty damn nice and even feels like the edges of the fretboard are rolled, no fret sprout to speak of, giant CBS headstock with 70's style logo. A friend of mine has had hundreds of guitars, and even has a mobile music store up and running. He thinks quite highly of them. I am pretty sure I can get my $80 back even if it's a dud, once it is cleaned up. It is far beyond an Affinity quality wise, and the bridge humbucker is a nice touch. I've never owned a Strat with one installed, as I am mostly a traditional Strat guy, on the few I own. I have more Tele's by a long shot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.