Squier Seafoam Green Special Edition Bullet Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Electric Warrior, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Chuckster likes this.
  2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

I have only played the seafoam squier mustang recently , as my 9 year old wants one.

It felt fine for a $150 small hand friendly real scale(not mini) guitar. Didn't feel as nice on the frets or finish as let's say the squire VM, or the Mexican fender 'stangs, but those cost substantially more money too.

It's a strat. It's a cool color. Squires historically had bad tuners and sub optimal electronics .

This one is $120. If you can play it in a shop and it stays in tune for 30 minutes, I wouldn't need more convincing, because its $130.

(But I dont like strats, and I'm at a point where I'd rather have Mexican fenders, but if I saw an old squire 51, I'm not too proud to scoop one up....)

Chuckster and Electric Warrior like this.
  3. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Scored mine in beyond-mint condition for $65... I freaking love it. I have a lot of guitars but this one and my US Strat Plus get the most play time.

It's light, and fun to play, but it did need some tweaking. The fretboard and fret ends needed the usual attention that all Squiers need... sanding, filing, and polishing. The tuners suck... no other way to say it. I bought Fender lockers, so they will be installed soon. I also took off the three trem springs and upgraded to five Fender springs. That helped with tuning and resonance seems to have improved.

I expect to drop a loaded pickguard in, probably with Hot Rails. In the meantime, I installed a white pearloid guard.

When I bought it:

20180326_121322.jpg

Now...
    20190227_075125.jpg

20190107_121950.jpg

4. Electric Warrior

I expected to want to gut the Telecaster but found it sounded pretty good as-is and never bothered. Frets definitely needed polish and work but after that it was good to go.

My favorite part of it is the neck, which has some chunk to it and smoothes up the more I play it. I guess I'm wondering if the Strat is similar in that way. It felt almost unfinished but broke in in a really nice way.

At $65, that's a no brainer! I just splurged on a different guitar last week but this one is tempting me. I guess I'll see if I can find one near me and take it for a spin.

Chuckster likes this.
  5. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Found mine on Craigslist... try poking around there first. You may get lucky... ;)

6. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Looks like Indonesian and possibly Samick so should be good on both counts.

Tuners are ok, as long as you practice 'tuning up' your guitar there will be no problem. Lazy players who tune down to pitch after bypassing will create slack in the system and they will go out of tune (even the fancy lockers will). Drop lower then tune up to pitch if you over shoot and you'll have no problems. I have a couple in the fleet getting toward ten years old with trapezoid tuners.

Pickups in these, while ceramic bar style, can actually sound as good or better than alnico so if people come along in the thread and say you gotta swap pickups ... don't, at least not for a good while. Controls (pots and caps) can move the tone around as much as swapping pickups.

Weak points are the pots, switch, and jack -- they will last a year or so of heavy playing but you'll have a better experience with the usual brands used in the MIA Fenders for under $20 with careful shopping.

It does look, from the straight on back of the neck shot, that this may actually have a chunkier neck than many of the Squier Strats. The super skinny carves you'll see fretboard on both sides and this one I see only neck wood. So it could easily be like your Tele neck.

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I had a 2017 that was a lot of bang for the buck and fine quality in fit and finish. The neck on both of mine is equivalent to a Fender modern C, in my estimation. I'm used to biggish Baja 50s and 10/56 Strat necks, but had no problem adapting to the Bullet necks. Pickups aren't bad at all. The tuners are sloppy, but as @jvin248 said, string them correctly and always tune "up." I've had two of these Bullets and the pots have been fine, the jack is not fabulous and one out of two of the switches have failed for me.

$129 is a good price for a new one. Just go to a GC and have them bring you 2 or 3 in boxes. Pick the best one.

BTW the Strat is Sea Foam green. I donated mine to the local blues society to give to a high school blues program, but my other 2017 in Sparkle Red is a keeper.

Chuckster and Electric Warrior like this.
  8. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

I bought one from MF. It is a solid guitar. It's my first cheap guitar where I really like the stock ceramic pickups. I decked the tremolo bridge, dialed in the intonation, string height, and tightened up the tuners. It plays great and stays in tune. I still have not found the right guitar strap to go with the Sea Foam green and white pickguard though... tough color.

Electric Warrior and Chuckster like this.
  9. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

what is the body thickness on these?

Electric Warrior likes this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Alligator hide. You need a strap that costs more than the guitar.

But, more down to earth, look up Walker and Williams straps on EBay and Amazon. They have some leather straps in colors. I got a nice blue-green one to go with my swirl paint job.

Also, Chinese sellers on EBay sometimes have unique straps but finding them is tricky since the keywords they use aren't necessarily the best and they run out fast.

TequilaCaster likes this.
  11. Electric Warrior

Alright, thanks for all of the good info. I've sworn off the GC near me but will be near one this weekend in a different town. This was good enough to convince me to stop in.

Chuckster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.