Squier nuts

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Cantbreak100guy, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Holic

I am going to level the frets on my '14 Bullet Strat. A guy at work said to get a bone nut. Is it a waste of time or a significant benefit? Realistically, it is a Squier. Also, does anyone have a recommendation on what to look for? I don't have slot files, so that's an issue.

2. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Hmm... I have bone nuts on several of my guitars. If you’re doing it yourself and you know what your doing amp it’s worth it. Bone nuts are rock solid and are worth it on any guitar. Dunno about any tonal differences but I know it helped with tuning on a couple of my guitars.

For a guitar like that it’s up to you whether it’s worth it to pay a guy to install one.

Cantbreak100guy likes this.
  3. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’m not 100% sure how much difference you’ll find but I think a bone or synthetic bone nut provides better slippage and prevents binding which can cause tuning issues. I tend to lean towards Tusq self lubing nuts. I have no idea whether this improves tone or anything.

Here’s an article with video about replacing a nut with a preslotted Tusq nut. Funny thing is that it’s the luthier I take my guitars to in the vids, lol.

http://www.graphtech.com/news-and-c...ech-workshop-how-to-install-a-pre-slotted-nut

4. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

Yeah, don't bother, get a Tusq. Dirt cheap.

5. Cantbreak100guy

Thanks for posting the link. I take the DIY route as often as possible. I figure I just might learn something.:)

awasson and howardlo like this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Many replace nuts 'for tonzes' and then screw up cutting the slots correctly and eventually blame the tuners and either replace those, find it ineffective, and/or sell the guitar. So be careful in your decision to replace 'a cheap' nut -- it often is not cheap.

I've had good luck with Corian countertop material (scrap backsplash or see if a kitchen store gives out color samples for free) and aluminum bar stock. But I have also had success buying the $2 ebay plastic nuts too. Key is in the installation.

Fret the third fret and measure the action at the first fret it should only be 1-2 pieces of photocopy paper gap or cut the slots lower.
    Cut the slots at a down angle on the headstock side so the highest point in the cut is at the fretboard side, or you'll get serenaded with the sitar sound. Aim the slots at the tuner pegs the strings go to to reduce friction load. Make sure they are wide enough for the strings and don't pinch them. Use 'lock lube' graphite powder for door locks in the slots under the strings.

Get a 'welding tip cleaner' file set for $6 at the hardware store to file your slots. These work great for a few guitars a year. If you are doing many many guitars you can upgrade to a nut file set.

Cantbreak100guy and bgmacaw like this.
  7. Cantbreak100guy

Thank you for the info. It is very much appreciated. I have been upgrading this guitar for a while. Pots, switch, pups, tuners. The last thing is the high frets and nut. We shall see!! Thanks again!

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I want to add that a couple of my guitars I’ve installed bone nuts on are cheapies. To me it’s worth it.

9. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

I’d go synthetic, if you’ve ever filed on a bone nut, you’d agree. The smell will knock a buzzard off a crap wagon

LutherBurger, mally and awasson like this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I've bought a few of these "defective" guitars that wouldn't stay in tune. Funny how they mysteriously stay in tune now. Must be my mojo bag.

11. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Love the tusq nuts from graphtech. The usually need very little work and great price

awasson likes this.
  12. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

1- take care of the high frets, level, crown, polish...

2- practice on the original plastic nut. Maybe it will end up being OK. You’ll learn something and then you can upgrade to a bone/tusk nut if you want (or if you killed the plastic nut in the process :D).

The fret job + nut filing + New setup should be a huge improvement even with a plastic nut.

13. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Jvin248 nailed it. A nut that's made out of cheap plastic but is well-seated with proper slots will be way, way better than a hack-job made of bone and poorly installed. The world is full of guitars with cracks in the nut area from bad removal, and bad action and tuning instability from poor slotting. IMO, there is nothing better than a well-fitted nut made of good bone, but many try and few succeed. I never, ever cheap out on nut material, because the cost difference is tiny compared to the value and performance of an excellent nut. And the time and skill in making a good nut far outweigh the material cost, so why cheap out? But nuts have become a real problem for many players because few people, techs included, have the knowledge and skill to make a good nut.

14. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For do it yourself, Tusq nuts work great in my experience.

Antmax and awasson like this.
  15. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I dont think the bone nut will do much. Some cheap guitars have "gummy" nylon or etc nuts and are worth replacing. But you will find little difference, especially on an electric, with a nut change. Tusq nuts are easy for Fender types and cheap. remember.. as you move up the neck from cowboy chords, the nut doesn't matter at all.

awasson and Cantbreak100guy like this.
  16. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I have a unbleached bone nut on my Strat partscaster that works great and sounds great, hasn't needed to be lubed and no sticking so far.
    The Tusq nuts are great for trem guitars.
    Anything would be an improvement to the original plastic nuts on cheaper guitars.

awasson likes this.
  17. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I've had good luck with the Earvanna nuts Musicman invented that are compensated.
    I play a lot of open notes and totally hear an improvement.
    They usually drop right in but you must be careful selecting your order.

18. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Cool. I hadn’t considered those but I’ve seen some buzz about them. I bet that would be a superior nut for open chords. I was just on their site. I’ll get one of these for my next nut change. About twice the cost of a Tusq but super cool concept.

19. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

It's a Squier. So what? Do you like it? It's just what matters.

GTG_Gopher and awasson like this.
  20. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Corian or other synthetic bone types work fine. But there is not a lot of room for error when installing a nut. You might want to get a pro to do it and ask if you can watch, if you want to learn without doing damage.

Just remember, the nut composition affects the tone of exactly six notes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.