Squier Nocaster Bullet project: BSB Bullet to Joe Bonamassa'ish Budget build

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by CavalierX, Oct 19, 2019.

1. CavalierX

CavalierX TDPRI Member

So.... I just dug into my first BSB Bullet Telecaster and ripped her guts out. I swapped in a set of road worn vintage style tuners and a set of brass saddles. I also insulated her cavities with copper tape. I swapped in a quality set of 250k CTS pots, a nice 4 way switch, .022 Orange Drop, and a new plug. I went with a set of Dragonfire pickups. I installed a Gate Bucker PAF in the neck and a Texas Hot in the bridge.

I Think I may have screwed up though. With the 4 way I wired it 1) bridge, 2) bridge and neck parallel, 3) neck only, 4) bridge and neck series. And all the wiring seems to be correct and double checked. I used this Seymour Duncan schematic:

[​IMG]
    Everything works.... but the Neck alone is kind fairly dark. The Texas Hot Bridge sounds perfect and the series and parallel sound very good... I don't HATE the Neck alone, but it is "less usable" than I imagined it would be, but its pretty good for soft warm rhythm or jazzy tones. Does it NEED a 500k volume pot? If so, do I need to put a 500k resistor on the Bridge pickup? Or is this more about the .022 Orange Drop and I need to switch that out for something else?

I did not have this issue with my P90 neck in my Lake Placid Blue Bullet, but it was a lower output single coil and a 3 way switch. The Guitar plays really well and sounds very flexible, I am just not in love with the Dragonfire Gate Bucker switched on alone in this set up. Its growing on me, but feels like it needs some kind of tweek. Ready for feedback/advice. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

**Interesting side story** -

The Ibanez Strap in the shots above was given to me by Paul Gilbert at the 1993 NAMM Ibanez show. Gilbert was super cool, a very very nice guy, we got to spend some time with him and all the players that day at the Ibanez show, but Paul took the time to hang out and talk with us almost the whole time. With Gilbert was one player that really stuck out, it wass Shawn Lane. What a POWER HOUSE Shawn was. Shawn was also very nice, and wasn't at the time an "Ibanez" sponsored player, but just a guest of Gilberts. I will include a link to a video (not my video) showing Shawn blowing "Hair Band" out of the water at the 4 minute mark. It was a magical moment.

Anyway. . . Paul, for some reason, did not have a guitar strap with his guitar when he was setting up before the show. He asked some Ibanez flunkie to go find him one and that guy came back with the pictured cheapo nylon branded strap; PG said "that will work." PG played the set with it and gave it to me after the show. PG can also be seen in the video playing the finally left handed: he walked on stage with his guitar slung backwards and upside down. Paul did not make a show of it for the fans at all. PG was just letting "the guys" know what he could do... lol. What a great time.

capt pearl and 650thunderbird like this.
  2. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

Ive been messing around with humbuckers in the neck position for a few years, and have yet to find a balance I'm happy with.

Many people have luck with this combo, just not me.

Going to 500k pots and either adding a resistor would help. Also dialing down the tone control will have the same effect on the bridge without the resistor.

Adding a no load tone pot is also beneficial for the humbucker if still wanting to use the 250k pots.

Metal covers add capacitance to the humbucker as well, consider removing that as well.

3. CavalierX

CavalierX TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.