Squier John5 Telecaster Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by arnie5150, Feb 3, 2012.

1. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

I did not see this one out there...anybody else got one?

2. beyondhappy

beyondhappy Tele-Meister

I've got one. I'll post a pic a bit later. (I'm on my iPad)

3. beyondhappy

beyondhappy Tele-Meister

Ok! Here she is! I changed out the pickups with Dimarzio Evolutions. I also changed the dual volume to a master volume and tone. Chrome beauty rings for a little added bling.

Attached Files:

4. Memphisbound

Memphisbound Tele-Meister

Nice looking Tele!

5. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

Man, I want those pickup rings for mine! Where did you get them and how hard was it to put them on? It looks great!

Why did you change the p/u's? Curious because my bridge humbucker is very microphonic. Did you have this issue?

6. beyondhappy

beyondhappy Tele-Meister

The PU rings are from WD music.mthey just fit right over the pickup. I have been using Dimarzio Evolutions for 15 years or so. They just sound perfect to me. I'm trying to expound my pickup pallet with some builds I've got in the works....so we shall see.

7. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

image-4145750898.jpg

Bone stock..

8. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

I'm pickin' one up today..I'm pretty excited! Pics to follow :)

9. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

Just picked it up,and I played it for around an hour! I am so impressed! It sounds like a tele in the bridge pup,and it doenst even need a tone knob!! Its a keeper!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

Nice J5 there Nasty! Is yours very heavy? Mine is right over 9 lbs!

11. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

Sorry Arnie! I just now saw this. Mine is around 6.5 lbs. it's not too heavy not too light. :)

12. texas_surfer

texas_surfer TDPRI Member

Heres mine

[​IMG]

Scored it off ebay a few months ago for $300. Already had a Dimarzio Moe Joe & Humbucker from Hell installed.

They were wired as single coils so Super noisy with any kind of distortion. Re-wired them the normal way and they sound awesome. a LOT of bottom end and plenty of tonal versatility. Mine too is around 9 or 10 pounds. The heaviest guitar I own. Action is super low. Definitely a shred machine if you want it to be. Love the "kill switch" ability with just two volume controls.

13. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Count me in, I've had mine for a year now. Its a fun toy, looks shiney on the wall. Its mostly eye candy, it doesnt get used all that much.

[​IMG]

14. emeraldringer

emeraldringer TDPRI Member

Any idea why the J5s are so heavy? I just got a black one (though I think the gold ones look great) on eBay, and am waiting for it to come in.

15. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

They are nice. I would like to get one.

16. emeraldringer

Anybody upgrade their J5 w/ locking tuners? If so, did the tuners drop in without having to drill any new holes in the headstock?

17. emeraldringer

For anyone interested, the following tuners from Guitar Fetish fit my Squier J5 perfectly:

STAGGERED Gotoh style Locking Tuners- Sperzel Style String Lock

18. Tele Kinesis

Tele Kinesis TDPRI Member

May I join this exclusive club? My J5 just came yesterday, and I'm floored. The neck does feel extremely skinny though - I'm not used to that, yet.

Mine weighs 8 lbs, 8 oz. exactly. I just weighed it on an accurate bicycle-hanging-scale. Almost as much as my Les Paul! How does yours weigh so little, and why the huge discrepancy?

I was thinking I wanted some pickup rings, because there's so much tape exposed around the open-coil humbuckers and they stick out so far from the body. It's like they need more protection or something. How did you mount those pickup-rings? Do they only mount by the two-height-adjust-screws? It would seem like that wouldn't be very secure . . .

I just ordered some Seymour Duncan Invaders for it, and I'm thinking the huge pole-pieces will let the pickup's body sit slightly deeper in the cavities.

19. Fadetoz

Fadetoz TDPRI Member

I've been a Strat guy for years and pickup a John 5 Tele to try out a few weeks back. I was blown away with how awesome these guitars are. Now 2 weeks later I picked one up used for myself and Love it. Best guitar I have ever had. At least best IMO for me.
    Pups are on the list. Just have not decided what ones. Will probably go with Dimarzio but not sure what ones. D Activators or Evolution or Some Satch pups. ONe of those 3 probably. SDs wouldn't be bad either I guess.

20. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Not sure how I missed this one for all this time.
    I've had my J5 for a couple years, now. Bought it after I sold my last Les Paul (just cannot get along with that body shape/guitar style) and went on a search for some sort of double-humbucker guitar.

I was immediately drawn to the black, double-bound body, but as soon as I plugged it in, I knew I HAD to have it. I fully expected to be changing the pickups - I mean, how good could they be in a guitar that was $379 out the door?
    Well, turns out I LOVE these stock pickups. I did re-wire mine to a more traditional volume/tone arrangement and reversed the control plate when I did that, to bring the knobs a little closer for swells.
    The only other mods I've made were adding Dunlop Straplocks and swapping the pickguard for a black/silver paisley number.

The neck is thinner than I normally prefer, but for some reason it doesn't really bother me with this guitar. It's also a heavy beast, but like I said, I was replacing a Les Paul, so that's no big deal. Besides, the killer tones I get from this thing make it all worthwhile.
    Sounds AWESOME through my Vox AC15HW!

It's funny, I don't see a lot of internet chatter about this model. Maybe the owners are too busy playing. ;)
    In any case, I love mine and it sees regular action on gigs.

I need to get some pics with the mods, but here's one I snapped when the guitar was still in its stock configuration.
    J5_stock_pic.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.