1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Squier Japan 1986 tele wiring

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Craig Williams, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

Hello. Just got a Japanese Squire around mid 80's (E serial). Standard 3 way switch, tone / vol. Bridge and neck pick ups.

Getting a bit of hum and see all the wirings all wrong. Has the export type plastic switch which is not in great shape either. Can I replace the switch with an open USA style switch and wire it the same as a USA Tele?

By the way has a Wilkinson replacement bridge and I see they haven't bothered to ground it. Can u solder straight to these bridges? Are they Stainless or nickel plate?

IMG20201020110205.jpg IMG20201020110214.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  2. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

An American 3-way switch should work fine.

It's been worked on by somebody, check out the solder connection on the tone pot where there's no connection. It's possible that was the original ground for the tail piece.

You don't need to solder a ground wire to the tail piece, just run a wire under it and the pressure of the screwed down plate will hold it in place.

Gaz_ likes this.
  3. Craig Williams

I already fitted an American 3 way and seems to be fine. I live in Thailand (Australian) and just about any guitar I have ever owned here wiring incorrect / someone tampered with it. I guess they don't have the resources (in Thai) that are available in English. I haven't lifted the bridge yet but I notice there is no separate hole for the bridge ground wire to come through in the routed wood channel. Maybe it is grounded to the ground wire pick up connection?

Get a normal bit of hum from my valve amp but goes away when I touch the strings / bridge. Would that mean the bridge is grounded?

trev333 likes this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Sounds like it.... if touching the bridge quietens it down...

looks like something was soldered to the tone pot at some stage... a missing jumper wire to the other pot grounds maybe?.

5. Craig Williams

Yeah now you mention it. I didn't notice that. The blob of solder on the tone pot with no wire. I'll have a look tomorrow see if it is grounded. It wouldn't surprise me. The export 3 way switch was wired totally incorrectly. Thanks so much for that.

trev333 likes this.
  6. trev333

most neck pickups have only 2 wires... yours looks like it has a 3rd braided shield wire as well...

you might be able to wire a 4 way switch with that one...

7. Craig Williams

You think it might be splittable? The tone isn't very good actually, it's brighter than the bridge pick up lol. I'd say it is a replacement. God knows what it is

8. trev333

you'd need to show us a pic of it, top/base, to tell what it might be...

and to see if the coil wires and braid are separate at the pickup end...

9. Craig Williams

I'll have a look tomorrow. I just noticed too that Cap is probably wired incorrectly also. One end should be grounded to the tone pot. They must just keep joining wires until something comes out lol

10. trev333

Cap looks ok.. grounded to the V pot...

11. Craig Williams

Oh ok, on one of the diagrams I was looking at shows one lead of the cap soldered to the tone pot body. But it looks like the Japanese guitars are wired slightly different, as per my guitar.

Would it make any difference to tone, output or noise / hum not having that tone pot grounded?

12. trev333

it's common to wire a cap back through the V lug to ground both at the same time....

'07 US tele...

capacitor.jpg

13. Craig Williams

Here's a pic of front and rear pick ups. None of them have any recongnisable markings, not to me anyway. You're right though, There is a red and white wire going into the pick up and ground outer shield is grounded. That means its a split humbucker doesn't it? I've never seen one with a chrome cover on the front. Now I think about it, I think only the red wire is connected. I forget now what they used for ground at the three way switch (ground or white?) The front pick up doesn't sound right. Noisey and not like a neck pick up normally sounds.

How would I wire a 3 wire pick up on a three way switch? Would I twist the white and red together and use shield for ground?

Do they look like standard Fender / Squier Japan pick ups?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  14. trev333

probably a single coil, with the coloured wires each end of the coil and the braid connected to the metal cover... that's ok..

not sure who makes pickups wired like that with a braid?..... mostly the 3rd wire to the shield is a normal coloured wire/black...

3 wires are the ones you can use for a 4 way switch to get a series/parallel option as well as bridge and neck by themselves...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.