Squier has ended the Signature Artist series. Do you have any Squier Artist teles?

FSRCustomTeleHHGT

Tele-Meister
The Squier Artist Series, which (kind of) began in 1992 with a Hank Marvin Stratocaster, and then a decade later with the Tom Delonge Strat eventually included 5 Teles and several basses. The series ended with the discontinuation of the well-received J Mascis Jazzmaster late last year. Some of those are still in stores, so get one if you have been putting it off, because you know what will happen with the price.

I'm posting pictures and some unique features of each of the Teles. Ignore the suggested retail prices from the catalogs. No one paid that much and they are sometimes as much as $200 more than what they actually went for at Sweetwater, Guitar Center, etc. If you are interested in all of the Squier Artist guitars, I've made a post here covering those. I have a separate post for the basses here. Here's the Teles:

Avril Lavigne Telecaster Blacksj.png

Avril Lavigne Telecaster 2014 Catalog.png

There were two Avril Lavigne Telecasters (circa 2012)
“Our Avril Lavigne Telecaster guitar features the chart-topping Grammy nominee's distinctive star logo inlayed at the fifth fret, with a checkerboard pickguard and Lavigne's signature on the headstock. Other features include a single dual-coil humbucking pickup, chrome hardware, a 'Squier' engraved neckplate and side-dot only position markers.“
Unique Features: Distinctive Star Logo at 5th Fret, Black and White Checkerboard Pickguard, Avril Lavigne Signature on the Headstock, Gold and Black Squier Logo, Squier Engraved Neckplate, Black Plastic Parts, Side Dot Position Inlays Only, "Barrel" Style Switch Tip, Chrome Dome Style Knobs
Unique Features: Skull and Crossbones Logo at 12th Fret, Avril Lavigne Signature on Headstock, Silver Squier Logo

Deryck Whibley Telecaster Black Both.png

Deryck Whibley Telecaster  2010 Catalog.png

There were two Deryck Whibley Telecasters, one black and one white: (2008-2013)
"Squier's uber-cool artist signature model is the Artist Series Deryck Whibley Telecaster guitar. Whibley, as all the cool punk-pop kids know, is the leader of Juno-winning Canadian punk-pop trio Sum 41. His signature model nails the vibe of a classic '70s Fender Telecaster Deluxe model, with features including Whibley's signature red X graphics, a single ferocious Duncan Designed™ humbucking pickup and retro-cool "Blackface™" amp control knobs."
Unique Features: "Deryck" Signature on Front of Headstock, Large '60s Style Strat Headstock, Red "X" Graphics on Body and Pickguard, Single Chrome Covered Bridge Humbucking Pickup, Skirted Black/Silver (1-10) Amp Control Knobs, Black Dot Position Inlays, No Belly Cut on Body, Side Mounted Input Jack.

List concluded in next post...

FSRCustomTeleHHGT

Tele-Meister
List concluded...

J 5.png

J5 Tele Gold 2014 Catalog.png

There were two J5 Telecasters, one black and the other Frost Gold:
"John 5 is a self-described "Fender fanatic" with a jaw-dropping collection of his favorite instrument, the Telecaster ("the greatest guitars ever built, by far," in his words). His Squier signature model, the J5 Telecaster, is a double-bound beauty based on his oft-modded workhorse Telecaster, which was pieced together at the Fender Custom Shop."
Unique Features: Matching Painted Headstock, Bound Top and Back, Silver Squier Decal, Toggle Switch Mounted on Upper Bout, Chrome Switch Tip, No Tone Control, Neck and Bridge Volume Controls are in Opposite Orientation, White Pearloid Dot Position Inlays, Narrow Dot Spacing, Synthetic Bone Nut, Knurled Chrome Knobs.

Jim Root.png

Jim Root Telecaster Black 2014 Catalog.png

There were two Jim Root Telecasters, one in black and one in white (2012-2018):
Unique Features: Flat Finish in black or white, starkly simple single-knob/single switch control layout, black die-cast tuners and other black hardware, and two pulverizing passive humbucking pickups with black covers.

Joe Trohman Tr.png

Joe Trohman Telecaster (2011-2015):
Squier and guitarist Joe Trohman (the Damned Things/Fall Out Boy) have teamed up to create an unusual new take on the venerable early-’70s Fender Telecaster Deluxe. The Joe Trohman Telecaster guitar is a triple-pickup beauty that rocks a ton of tones with easy switching features.
Unique Features: 5-Position Rotary Pickup Selector Switch, HSH Pickup configuration, Joe Trohman Signature on Back of Headstock, '68-Style Large Stratocaster Headstock, Skirted Black and Chrome Amp Control Knobs, White Clay Dots Inlays.

That's it. I am not aware of any other Squier Artist Series Telecaster guitars.

Now tell us about yours. And include pictures if you can!

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Did Squier announce that it ended the series? If not, I wouldn't interpret the lack of a current signature model as Squier having discontinued the series. It's not like they'll never make a signature model again.

FSRCustomTeleHHGT

Tele-Meister
Did Squier announce that it ended the series? If not, I wouldn't interpret the lack of a current signature model as Squier having discontinued the series. It's not like they'll never make a signature model again.
They didn't "announce" as in a press release, but Fender reps mentioned it at NAMM. I wouldn't say it otherwise. And yes, it is like they'll never make another signature model again. Why would they? The Mascis was the best-received of the signature series and whenever you sorted models on sites by popularity (sales), it would be near the bottom of the Squier list. None of these ever sold very well because most people don't want an artist guitar unless they are obsessed with them. And what exactly did the Squier artist series actually do for Fender? Not much. They are much better off doing cheap mass-produced MIM Fender artist models for Flavor of the Month teenagers like Tash Sultana and high-end ones for artists the people have actually heard of like Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Nile Rodgers and Jaco Pastorious.

The only thing I don't like about my Mascis is that it has his signature on the back of the headstock. I almost bought a 40th Anniversary Jazzmaster neck from Stratosphere this morning just so I'd never have to see it again (I'm not a fan of removing things from headstocks).

Blackmore Fan

Tele-Afflicted
I watched an Avril Lavigne signature Squire sit...and sit...for several months almost a decade ago. At list price (which wasn't much), it apparently had no appeal. Avril is/was an attractive woman, but I couldn't tell you whether she can play guitar at all.

Mitch T

TDPRI Member
Had a JMJM, sold it, bought a JMJM neck for my Jazzmaster Partscaster project and love it to bits. Of the Tele sigs, I must say I liked the frost gold J5 but those super hot HB's were awful for my taste.

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
I had a JM JM, but none of the other sigs. Shame they've gone, but I suppose Fender have other things planned.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
They didn't "announce" as in a press release, but Fender reps mentioned it at NAMM. I wouldn't say it otherwise. And yes, it is like they'll never make another signature model again. Why would they? The Mascis was the best-received of the signature series and whenever you sorted models on sites by popularity (sales), it would be near the bottom of the Squier list. None of these ever sold very well because most people don't want an artist guitar unless they are obsessed with them. And what exactly did the Squier artist series actually do for Fender?
Why would they?
Because there are people—especially younger players—who like particular artists—who’d like to have a guitar like their hero, even if that hero is kinda “flavor of the month” to us older guys.

Slipknot, Fall Out Boy, John 5 (Marilyn Manson), Avril Lavigne—their early fans skewed to a young(er) demographic, and to be able to afford and play a guitar like their one of their favorite guitarists played is a thrill to a young player.

Shoot, I’m not young nor a new player, and I’d still like to have a red Tele like Muddy Waters or a black Telecaster Custom like Keef…

What exactly did the Squier artist series do for Fender?
It got a Fender product in the hands of a younger player or a player with less discretionary income…that same younger/less affluent player would be more likely to choose another (higher-tier) Fender product when they upgrade their rig.

I’d rock a couple of those signature Squiers—especially the Avril and Deryk W models—they’re good-looking guitars that are just screaming to be modified (as @blowtorch and @trev333 posted above)…

Squiers of all levels and designs are out there to make a good, usable guitar at a price point that’ll start encouraging brand loyalty early.

To be honest, I don’t know why there has never been a Squier Jeff Healey Stratocaster—I mean, he actually played a Squier Strat (albeit modified)…it probably wouldn’t be a big seller (especially as time goes on, he’s getting more and more obscure), but it would be a cool tribute to a fascinating player.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I watched an Avril Lavigne signature Squire sit...and sit...for several months almost a decade ago. At list price (which wasn't much), it apparently had no appeal. Avril is/was an attractive woman, but I couldn't tell you whether she can play guitar at all.
Yeah, but even if she couldn’t, she got some girls interested in playing guitar, and more women in music—whatever flavor of music—is good.

The bulk of my more-recent playlists are chock-full of women who play guitar (Larkin Poe/the Lovell sisters, Eve Monsees, Sue Foley, and my daughter, just to name a few).

RiversQC

Tele-Meister
I always wanted one of the Jim Root telecasters... and I've never been into Slipknot at all.

I could never justify paying over $500 Cdn in store for a new Squier, and never saw one pop up used. But man those look cool. They were in large part what pushed me towards telecasters and building my own guitars!

Doutorfunga

TDPRI Member
I'd add that Squirt would make a great home for signature models for what has been (a bit derisively, I'm afraid) referred to as "flavor of the month" artists... With the advantage that many of those artists are quite good guitarists!