Squier Esquire

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by tamster, Jan 10, 2020.

1. tamster

tamster NEW MEMBER!

Hi guys, Anybody own or checked out the Squier Esquire is it routed the same as a Telecaster. What are your thoughts ?

2. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Since there's no Squier Esquire in LH, I'll built mine from a CV50 Squier Tele LH... :oops:;)

-tbln

3. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

I have one and it is not routed for the neck pickup. Just a plain slab of wood.

4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

can you post a pic?

i want one so bad but I dont like the banana yellow color! I wish it was white! Like the CV50’s

5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Theres a pic in the "other" Squier Esquire thread of it sans pickguard.

The color is beautiful as is the white guard. My beef is the thin neck. Luckily I got the girthy necks.

Why cant import necks vary to the other edge of the spectrum?

guitarist232345 and mimmo like this.
  6. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Agree. Actually don't know why they vary so much, like you I got one with a great, quite beefy neck, and I couldn't be happier.

7. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would suggest converting a standard Tele to the Esquire config. All it would cost is the price of the pickguard and perhaps a few electrical components, and you could always revert back to the two-pickup Tele if you desired.

RYAN1987M and RoscoeElegante like this.
  8. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

That is exactly what I have done to my MIM 60s tele, it is now an esquire and I love it.
    But a "proper" esquire, a Squier Esquire, is way cool too :)

bender66 and RYAN1987M like this.
  9. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I did the same thing here - https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-fender-classic-series-50s-telecaster.975363/

And I love it!

But I must admit that there would still be something extra cool about having a "proper" Esquire (and having it say so on the headstock).

mimmo likes this.
  10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I converted my MIM Classic 50s lacquer Tele into an Esquire, complete with the wiring for Eldred mod (cocked wah) in the 'neck' switch position. Had it this way for a while before I put a Partscaster together and then put the C50 back to standard. I nearly bought a MIM Esquire that was essentially the same (bar a poly finish), but had 'Esquire' on the headstock, however the price was 50% higher than I'd paid for the C50 used, so ended building my avatar Esquire instead. I used a chunky '51 Fat U MIM neck (which does still say 'Telecaster' so I plan to change the decal to 'Esquire').

I used the knowledge gained with the test Esquire and applied it to the partscaster: 3300pF cap for the 'cocked wah' setting and went for a tapped pick up that gives 6 or 9K windings (via a tone pot pull switch). This Esquire has 6 variations on sound...I was going to install an Eric Clapton mid boost pcb, but honestly don't think I need anymore sound options (and the complication of a battery).

This was the C50 in Esquire trim:
    Esquire sans ashtray.jpg

Back as a Tele, with a bakelite 'guard:
    IMG_1802.jpg

Then back to a white guard and a few cosmetics to make it more like a '56 model, along with my partscaster Esquire, which is loosely based on a '54 spec model:
    Tele & Esq 3.jpg

11. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

The neck on my Squier Esquire is only .79 as I recall. I dont consider that beefy.

I have some fatter necks in my possession but I lose the "authentic" decal (take that Agnesi).

12. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

I haven't measured mine, bit it is larger than .79. Don't know why they are not more consistent

13. Muckyboots13

Muckyboots13 TDPRI Member

If you are talking about the latest Squier FSR Esquires from 2019 UK only & 2020 EU then they have no neck pick up routing. i own the Vintage white UK 2019 version, although the only original parts left on mine are neck,body, tuning pegs & saddles. The reason for that was I already had the parts for an upgrade. I think they they are very good vfm but I understand some owners were not happy with the quality of their purchases. I couldn't fault it for the money.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Erebia, mimmo and BBQedIguana like this.
  14. Muckyboots13

unnamed (3).jpg
    I did exactly the same with my MIM 50's classic lacquer. I did stick jumbo frets on it though. BR MB13

KelvinS1965 and BBQedIguana like this.
  15. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Yes, my 50s classic looked like that at one point, then a Blackguard Tele, now back to a White guard Tele. It's like I've owned 3 different guitars. :)

That reminds me; I took the Fat U neck off my avatar Esquire and started stripping the poly off it, but it's taken ages and I still have a bit to finish off. The plan is to respray the neck with various tinted clear nitro that I bought (and to put an 'Esquire' logo on it).

16. Trampss

Trampss TDPRI Member

Been looking for one at the usual guitar stores like guitar center and sweetwater and they don't carry them

17. Muckyboots13

You could always sand the logo off the headstock and buy a new decal for it but word of caution, that Squier logo on the CV’s are under a lot of lacquer and you have to go pretty deep to remove it. To the point where you could split the wood near the tuning peg holes. The MIM would easier as there is less lacquer to go through to remove it’s decal. BR MM

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  18. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

The CV necks ive tried have all been pretty slim, i much prefer the Affinity neck i have, the nut is a tiny bit narrower but the shape of the neck is just killer. Its one of the best ive played at any cost, got super lucky with my 75.00 purchase;)

19. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Me too but I made mine chartreuse! :D

myesq (2).png

tubelectron likes this.
  20. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Cool color :cool: !

[​IMG][​IMG]

(Cool liquor too... :rolleyes::D)

-tbln.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.