1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Squier CV Tele wins Guitar Player magazine "Editors' Pick"

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by walternewton, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Ormond

Ormond Tele-Afflicted

2. Bozo Bus

Bozo Bus Tele-Meister

More of the same......
    I was making the weekly rounds to the music shops and the shop owner pulled me out of the acoustic room and told me "You HAVE to try one of these".
    I bought the CV that day.
    I too had a little headstock envy .... I searched the site looking for the most reliable method of removing the Squire logo. I never did it. Now, when I go out to play, I do get the "Nose in the air" attitude about it being a Squire, that very quickly goes away after they play it for a minute or two.
    Good solid guitars do not have to cost $2000!

Mark -
    Thanks for leaving this in the general forum for a bit. I think the CV threads get overlooked sometimes.

PEACE
    Phil

My edit... I would still love to get a Kirn (Maybe next year's sweepstakes).

3. C.E.G.

C.E.G. TDPRI Member

Two Months ahead...

Wow, November issue out already?

4. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Leos whole idea behind the Tele was make a good affordable guitar the average working man could afford.

I have personally never paid more than $500 for any Tele Ive owned and out of the 26 new Fenders Ive owned only one was more than $500 and that was a HWY1 Jazz Bas I got for $600 new.

The Tele design is so simple and easy to make there really isnt a reason any of them should cost over $500 from a factory.

5. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

My local shop has in a CV again.

I've played 3 I think, and never really liked any of them. Pickups felt weak, neck had too much poly/too thick. But I still feel like I'm somehow finding dogs or something, given the rave, universal, wide-ranging reviews on here.

I'm going to go play this one, which just came in, through my standard test amp at the shop: a Princeton Reverb reissue.

I'll let you guys know.

I really shouldn't, as I can't afford to buy it if I like it! But for whatever reason, I'm determined to find one I like!

6. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I wish they'd do a sunburst '60s CV Telecaster.

7. superbadj

I wish they'd do a sonic blue 50's style esquire!

8. Danny72

Danny72 TDPRI Member

Can someone post the link to the aforementioned Guitar Player article about the CV editors pick? I, too, could only find the article about vintage pup's. -Tanx

9. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

It's from a magazine that's not on the shelves yet - I doubt they'll have it online for a couple months. They currently have September issue content posted.

10. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Another member here who doesnt post much anymore had the same thing happen. After hearing all the great reviews here and all over the web tried one out in his local store didnt like it. Couple weeks later they got another one in the one he tried before sold and he didnt like it either. Then a couple weeks later they got one in and he liked it and bought it right on the spot.

Like any mass produced guitar they are all a little different some will be better than others alot of them will be the same and some will be dogs it happens on every Fender made reguardless of price.

11. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

Shhh! I think so too, but don't tell anyone! ;-) And yes, I feel very lucky indeed. The only question now is which one to take to the gig :?: -- it's really a toss up. :confused: They're both just great Teles IMO. :) CS

12. superbadj

yep, understandable.

Well, they had already sold it before I got there (!!!), so no chance at another try out today. But I did try a new MIM standard, and it sounded and played very, very nicely. Definitely felt the best of any standard MIM i've yet tried, and I've generally liked them.

Also played one of my holy grail guitars: Gretsch 6118-LTV, the two-tone smoke green/cadillac green lovely. I swear, that guitar just makes great sounds.

13. cfender

cfender Tele-Meister

"Mark -
    Thanks for leaving this in the general forum for a bit. I think the CV threads get overlooked sometimes."

Excuse my ignorance but where would I find a CV thread outside of this discussion forum?

14. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

I'm glad to see the CV is getting some press time in the magazine world. Normally all I ever see are guitars I can't afford, but since I actually own this one...I'll be looking for and buying that magazine.

I sometimes feel a little guilty for "Esquiering" my CV, but I just love having the simple one pickup layout.

I also wish Squier would produce a CV Esquire version so I could bring my Tele back to it's original form.

15. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

And the classic vibe jazz bass? Wow!

16. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

17. jimtlin

jimtlin TDPRI Member

Just got my magazine today ... nice write up. Also gave the Reverend Buckshot an editor's pick.

18. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Why don't we CV owners keep this thing quiet? If Fender finds out we're all enjoying a 300 dollar guitar this much, they're liable to raise the price, reduce production, cost-reduce some of the goodness out of it or discontinue it altogether. Really, though....after being price-increased out of some of the Tele models we all liked a lot, I figure we deserve this one. Let's keep it our secret ;>) I say buy 'em up while the gettin's good.

19. zimp

zimp Tele-Meister

"Leos whole idea behind the Tele was make a good affordable guitar the average working man could afford." Mark I think you hit the nail on the head here, music for the masses. Part of the 'Vibe' for me is being able to leave this guitar around for my kids to pick up and muck around with and have access to a real quality instrument to learn with. Im going to buy another one to store just in case this does get broke. I dont get stressed anymore though with them playing around with my main instrument.

20. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

OK then, it's just between you and me and the three hundred or so other TDPRIers who've already bought one. ;) CS

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.