Squier CV FSR Esquire - What's The Neck Like?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by EllenGtrGrl, Jul 2, 2020.

1. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

From what I've seen over the past week or so, this is a relatively new development, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Has anybody had a chance to try out one of the new Squier CV FSR Esquires? I used to have a Classic 50s Esquire (complete with a Don Mare Twangzilla pickup I installed), that I foolishly traded towards another guitar 3 years ago. I LOVED it's neck - nice and chunky like the neck my Vintera 50s Tele has. I could easily Esquire my Vintera, but it would (at least to me) be nicer to just have an Esquire, that is an Esquire from Day 1. My concern is the neck. To me CVs have always had overly thin necks. I know Sweetwater states in the specs for the CV Esquire, that it has a "Classic C" shaped neck, but is it really a heftier neck (at least on a par with my old 60s Baja Tele), or is it just a case of marketing speak, for what is just a neck that is still relatively thin? Robert Baker has showcased the Squier CV Esquire in two of his most recent vids, but I've gotten the impression over time, that he likes relatively thin necks.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    ping-ping-clicka and nojazzhere like this.
  2. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

I have one, it's quite skinny. Very nicely rounded

JIMMY JAZZMAN likes this.
  3. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

I had a feeling that was the case. I like my guitar necks nice and chunky, or at least a Medium C like my old 60s Baja Tele. Oh well.

I've contemplated getting a Fender CS Esquire (I love my 50s Vintera, but I virtually never use the neck pickup, making it a wasted resource for me). I found the 50 Esquire the CS is making at the present time, VERY intriguing, but it has no truss rod like the original 1950 Esquires. While that is a cool feature tone-wise (people who have played Esquires with no truss rod necks claim they sound a little different, from those with truss rod necks), with the temperature and humidity changes that occur here in Wisconsin, that's No Go. Can you say warped neck? Sure you can! The other CS offerings don't do much for me (I don't do reliced, and I don't want modded). Buying a used CS Esquire is a dice throw, since you never really know what the neck is like. I'm also sick of partscasters, and boutique brand copies.

Back to the drawing board for me.

68Telebass and nojazzhere like this.
  4. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

I purchased the Squier CV Esquire a month ago. It is a well made guitar. Pick up is robust. The pickup
    tone wise is great (you are a bit limited with but one pickup) Your concern about the neck is quite valid, in
    that, if you like "chunky" necks, this is not your guitar. The neck is thin but is finished nicely and no fret buzz
    what-so-ever. The weight of my Esquire is 8 lbs 2oz. so it does have some tonal fortitude and keeps tune
    quite well. Tone position "one" takes a little tweeking, (treble roll off) but good for jazz chords and such.
    It was a good buy and in a way it makes you a better player and tone chaser. With this axe, it's all on you
    to make it sound great.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Have you considered putting a partscaster together? I've become spoiled to my Warmoth Fatback/wide at nut neck.....so much so that I just prefer not to play a skinny neck again. I'm not "anal" about it, but I have certain specific preferences for a guitar. It's nice knowing what you like and achieving that.

6. Mick Sullivan

Mick Sullivan Tele-Meister

I love the neck - but it’s not for those with hands like shovels.

puddin likes this.
  7. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Yeah, I've considered doing so, but I'm kind of tired of having to go the Partscaster route.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Don't drop that much money - buy a CV Esquire and stick a warmoth or allparts soft V or U neck on it. Half the price. The neck on my CV is not my favourite neck at all because I lick thick baseball bat necks, however I have been playing it so much of late I am used to it now. When I go back to my gibson for the first time since december it will be extremely odd for me because it has a chunky af neck. You will drop 1000s on a CS Esq and still probably won't be as satisfied with it as you would this CV - and then there's the fear of dinging a 1000+ instrument. Not worth it.

Just try it or buy it and if you like it mod the neck and stick a waterslide decal on it - nobody will know but you.

i agree on what the poster above said - the single pickup makes you a better player. It amplifies your mistakes more than any guitar I have ever played. Playing humbuckers almost feels like I've nerfed the guitar because it hides mistakes. I would compare the ESQ pickup to the sensitivity of a single P90.

9. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

^^^. This.
    If you love your Vintera, but never use the neck pickup...
    Esquire it with the Esquire tone circuit. You can always go back, or grab another Vintera if you need a Tele around that has a neck pickup you dont use...

Or get that CV Esquire and swap out the neck, as mentioned!
    Keep us posted; I’m curious as to what you decide...
    Carl

10. Erebia

Erebia TDPRI Member

I like the neck very much on the FSR Esquire but it is nothing like a chunky vintage neck. If you were UK based I'd offer to buy the neck off you if you bought the guitar (I'm tempted to buy another Esquire as the basis for a partscaster and I only really want the neck).

11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

You can also look for another Classic 50s Esquire. They're uncommon on the used market, but can be found.

12. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Yes they are. I was surprised to see one going for almost $1300 on Reverb! I only paid a bit over $650 for mine.

13. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I don’t get the point of swapping the neck on a CV Esquire. Isn’t half the point of the guitar that it has the decal that says “Esquire?”

I agree with 68Telebass. If you love your Vintera but aren’t using the neck pickup, it makes much more sense to convert it to an Esquire.

I’m considering it for a CV Tele for much the same reason (love the bridge p/u, uninspired by the neck pickup), and a new Allparts pickguard, resistor, and caps cost less than $35 shipped. My tech would probably charge another $20-$40 for labor. Not an expensive mod at all.

68Telebass likes this.
  14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Asking prices don't match selling prices. Log into Reverb and have a look at their price guide based on sold prices. Even in the price guide the pricing probably won't look like a bell curve and will look pretty random.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.