1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Squier CV 70's Thinline - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Kerberos, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm curious about the new CV 70's Thinline. I had wanted a Squier VM 72 Thinline, but alias, Fender deemed it was time for a change. I believe the VM's were made of Ash, these new ones are Soft Maple. Soft wood doesn't sound good to me, though it may just be in the name. Any opinions would be appreciated. Like pretty much everywhere we're living in a lockdown of some capacity, no music stores to go to.

2. Javier668

Javier668 Tele-Meister

Alder is soft too and sound good to me.

3. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I have the Squier VM Thinline, if it was me I’d put in search
    requests on Reverb & YouTube both. It’ll be worth it and one slightly used will appear quickly because people have no idea and I do mean ZERO just how sweet the VM’s are.
    I want a second one to put a set of Flatwounds on.
    These are an amazing hybrid Telecaster that I honestly believe will eventually go for serious bucks, that’s how great they are. Mine is currently set with .11’s and they almost feel too light.
    Mine is the 70’s VM in Natural and it’s superior to the original because of it’s 4-Bolt Neck, larger radius and bigger frets. She can do it all, good chunk on the neck too.
    Good hunting!!!

premiumplus likes this.
  4. Kerberos

Thanks for your input, I like what you're saying. I once owned a Squier CV Thinline, think it was Mahogany. It was the only guitar that could honestly compete with my 66 Jazzmaster. It was great for anything, Jazz, Blues, and I could make it growl if need be. Plus it was light! The only thing that didn't work for me was the Neck, too thin, too narrow, it killed my hands. So I let it go. In retrospect, I should have kept it and replaced the neck. Oh well, we make mistakes. I did play the Squier VM 72 Thinline, and the neck felt great, actually better than the Fender. Just didn't have the money at the time. I will take your advice!

stantheman likes this.
  5. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Hmmm. I have one of those Squier VM 72 Thinline. 2015 model with the “Fender” stamped Korean humbuckers.
    I agree that it may be increasing in value- I got before the present cost of $450 (they were $299 when I grabbed with 15% off coupon...). Mine is sunburst- and I just love the neck, and the finish is excellent. Sound is great for me- I know they are not “authentic” WRHB.. but they do the job, do it well, and really look sharp!
    I’ve often wondered what a good price for it would be if I decided to part with it. Seems weird for a Squire to become “vintage” worthy, but the quality, and models that are putting out, I believe, will surprise us! here’s a pic...
    Carl View attachment 742552 18AF3FC3-B6C6-409A-BBF7-FC8A8DBDD15D.jpeg 72371DA7-BC26-49F8-B052-7F9C7D1FFFEB.jpeg

6. kaludjerko

kaludjerko Tele-Meister

As regarding to hardness, soft maple is still very much hard hardwood. It is harder than mahagony and cherry:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAEegQIDhAI&usg=AOvVaw2ZEajJ3ndd0ofcaPUperai

tamer_of_banthas and tintag27 like this.
  7. Footsore

Footsore TDPRI Member

I have a VM 70s Thinline Sunburst I bought last year. The pickup switch was faulty but a simple fix. Beautiful guitar and no the wood is not soft at all.
    I would definitely recommend but perhaps be prepared to upgrade the electronics but I think that applies to all guitars in the price range.

8. Kerberos

That's a Great looking guitar! The Natural or the Sunburst rocks!

9. Kerberos

It sounds like I more concerned with the term "Soft Maple" than necessary. I think maple, and I'm thinking I can dent it with my thumb pressure. Thanks for your input, it probably will have to be the way I go. I have two items on my list this year, upgrade my Keyboard, and get a Thinline. I also need to make some room. I have a Taylor 410ce, Yamaha A1R, Roland JC-40, Ensoniq ZR-76, and Yamaha P80 leave.

Footsore likes this.
  10. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Almost forgot, when doing your search on Reverb look at
    everything “Squire Thinline” because you’ll find them as just Squier Thinline too. I’d look for the “Crafted in Indonesia” on the back of the headstock for the tell.
    Good Hunting!!!

The Indonesians have the Old School integrity when it comes to quality.
    RESPECT.

11. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

I bought one. The tall frets took me a bit to get used to. I had to sand the back of the neck it was very sticky. Now I love it.
    I replaced the pickups with some mojotones. Did I have to do that no not at all. I just like tinkering.

Attached Files:

12. premiumplus

premiumplus TDPRI Member

I've got one that I just got a few weeks ago. It's really a great guitar at any price point. It's lightweight, has great neck and fretwork, and sounds terrific. Looks good too...;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  13. Kerberos

That's a beauty, and thank you for your opinion. I really do appreciate it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.