Squier CV 60s wiring difference to 50s

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Squierdo, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Squierdo

Squierdo TDPRI Member

Hi..

I just joined this forum because as a Telecaster newbie, i hope to find answers from experts here for some questions.

After buying my first Telecaster, i start to fall in love with Telecasters (just had Les Pauls before).

Alas the look of the squier cv 60 was a decision that just visually pleases me.
    On Youtube i saw Videos of the Butterscotch blonde squier 50s.

This one of the sweetest sound i ever heard. The (i call it oily) clear twang sound. :D

After reading i found out about the tonerider pickups. I swaped the 60s ones (tonerider other model i think) against the vintage plus.

The sound of the bridge and combined switch setting is as i expected.. sweet maximum twang..

But...
    The neck pickup sounds rather unspectacular. It's much like the neck pickup i had inside before. No twang. Not like in videos. I tried different pickup heights.. no difference.

:rolleyes:
    Now after my lenghty post (sorry) comes my question:
    Are there differences inside the tone control between the cv 60 and cv 50 that could cause that the neck pickup doesn't have twang?

2. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You may have re-raised the eternal question regarding Tele neck pickups: why does it sound dull?
    Look at the high number of assorted mods made in that regard for extra clarity, or in search of an improvement.
    My personal method is to keep the tone control rolled back on the bridge p'up and roll it up on the neck.
    I have been known to disconnect the tone control from the neck p'up altogether. (Move the wire from the volume control to the bridge p'up cleat on the switch.)
    Another idea is to remove the cover from the neck p'up, if you don't mind the look. Careful with the windings.
    To my knowledge there is no appreciable difference between the harnesses; someone else may know better.

Boreas likes this.
  3. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As Jay has noted in the comment above, this is a common complaint...
    Not from me though! - I play most of the time on the neck pickup of my 11 year old CV50 Vintage Blonde, I love that pickup!
    PS - welcome to the Forum!

havlma1, Boreas and VintageSG like this.
  4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My CVC neck pickup was OK, but not spectacular.
    My CV 50 Vintage Blonde neck pickup was imbued with greatness by mystical toan faeries. I bought the VB with the intention of turning it into an Esquire, but there's no way that's happening now. I recall the CVC and either the Butterscotch or Blonde shared pickups. As two of us have Blondies with awesome neck pickups, it may be the CVC + Butterscotch and you've replaced like with like. One set is A3, one is A5. I don't know which is which. Someone with more clue and nous will be along shortly to put me right.

5. Squierdo

Squierdo TDPRI Member

Thanks for the hint. When it's a common concern about the neck then just modding might help me. Using and have use for the tone control is something i am just learning since i have a Tele.

Right now i couldn't imagine to remove the nice shiny nickel cover.. but never say never.

Thank yo Jay

6. Squierdo

Squierdo TDPRI Member

Thank you Tintag27

7. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I am in the “loves the neck pickup” camp. I have Tonerider A5’s in a CVC and the A3’s in a Mexican Tele. Both sound great, but the A5 in the CVC neck is one of my favorite sounds. It’s warm and jazzy. Big Major 7 chords sound clear and full to me.

Boreas and tintag27 like this.
  8. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

One more thing that occurs to me. I think often, people adjust the bridge p/u heights and then adjust the neck to match. I do the opposite. I adjust the neck where I like it and then set the bridge to match, cause frankly, that bridge is a sledge hammer. It’ll work just about anywhere.

9. Squierdo

Squierdo TDPRI Member

I am sure to know the least here. From what i found out before i bought the tonerider pickup set is, that my 60s squier with the sunburst should use some blues pickups like the Alnico II blues. Now i have the Alnico V vintage plus inside.

I hope that it's allowed to post youtube links... That guy has the tone on both pickups!!

Thanks for all the replies i got

Gunny and NigeG like this.
  10. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

You can get "open top" neck pickup covers that help brighten the pickup but retain some of the shielding properties. I think Philadelphia Luthier Supplies sells them.
    Al

gkterry likes this.
  11. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

The stock Tele neck pickup was never meant to be 'twangy.' There are numerous solutions to this problem (see above).

Boreas likes this.
  12. Squierdo

Squierdo TDPRI Member

Never saw that kind of pickup (what is not much of a surprise because Telecasters are new to me). Thanks. It looks like an option. :)

13. Squierdo

Squierdo TDPRI Member

When the stock neck pickup doesn't normally has to be twangy then i could live with this normal condition. The video above misled me to assume that my Squier would miss something it doesn't need to have.

14. Squierdo

Squierdo TDPRI Member

I really start to love Telecasters.. :p
    Why didn't i see all the beauty in the shape of this kind of guitars :rolleyes:

Not to forget it's sound.

Boreas likes this.
  15. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The CV BSB Tele has A5 magnets and the WB has A3s. I was initially planning to put an A5 in the neck but learned to love the A3 after some careful adjustment. For me, the A3 bridge p'up rules.

16. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It is the DIFFERENCE between the neck and bridge pups that is the beauty of the Telecaster. The wider range of tones and styles that can be played with a Tele are what makes the Telecaster a classic instrument. You may prefer the middle switch position until you get used to this. Don't start changing pickups until you get used to what you have. And as @BelairPlayer mentions above, adjusting heights is critical to a pup's tone. If you need a larger variety of tones that are closer together, consider a Strat.

17. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

A tele has 2 sounds in my world. The bridge pickup and the Bridge / Neck combo. If the neck alone has some thing to offer that a bonus. I tinker with other options in the neck slot sometimes but it usually adversely affects the bridge/neck sound. My neck sounds are on a Strat or something LP'ish

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  18. Squierdo

Squierdo TDPRI Member

Since yesterday, after playing around with amp settings and the volume control, i get used to the Tonerider A5 neck pickup.

19. Squierdo

Squierdo TDPRI Member

No Strat for me (for now hehe). What i really like about the Telecaster is that it's plain wood with no "ergonomic enhancements". The simplicity in it's design seems to be a perfection that
    can't be improved.. Maybe this sounds crazy..

Since i newer messed with PUs before i experimented with the impact of different heights.
    The bridge pickup lost some twang when the pickup is much more away from the strings but even with a very close i didn't get the often described "wavy" effect.
    I wonder if the boundaries of a perfect height are so strict as i often read.

Nevertheless i ended adjusting the pickup heights with fender specification for vintage PUs. 6/64 for the low E string and 5/64 for the high E.

20. Squierdo

Squierdo TDPRI Member

In my case my search for a specific Les Paul sound led me to my first Telecaster. I heard 59 PAF pickups and often heard something like "the old PAF almost sounds like a bright Telecaster".

Then i bought the squier and was absolutely shocked by the quality of this guitar. It played like butter and there was almost nothing i had so set up. It will definitely get compensating saddles (mine has the 3 way..). Maybe i will change machine heads but then it's a perfect guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.