Squier CV 60s Thinline donor?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Footsore, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Footsore

Footsore TDPRI Member

I'm really keen on one of the Classic Vibe 60s Thinlines but just can't get on with the narrow tall frets that the CVs have and have sold two for that reason. I love a modern C with 9.5 radius and medium jumbo frets.
    Would it be worth buying one and fitting a MIM replacement neck? I would probably swap out all of the electronics and hardware anyway so the CV would just be a donor body. Is this a crazy idea and is there a better way to get the Tele I want?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I say, if you want to end up with a partscaster, build a partscaster. The way I read it, your idea is to buy a guitar and get rid of everything but the body. I suggest you buy a CV 60s body and buy the rest of the parts that you do want.

This will require some patience and searching. The CV 60s bodies aren't plentiful.

Otherwise, yes you can get a complete guiter. It shouldn't be too difficult to sell the excess parts right here in the Classifieds, but I don't know how much money you might lose in process of selling off the bits.

Footsore likes this.
  3. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

No it isn't a crazy idea. Probably cheaper than a Walmoth neck, plus you get all the free electronics. Check for fret ware on the new-used neck. Walmoth you get the jumbo mediums frets as standard. But that doesn't say you won't get a good solid neck on its second time around. Good luck and mat the tone be with you:D

Footsore likes this.
  4. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

I don’t find it crazy. I’m sure you could sell off whatever parts you don’t want to recoup some costs. Buying a replacement neck shouldn’t be hard to do, but might cost a little. I also would think building a complete partscaster may be just as fruitful. You could buy a body from many different places and then just find the neck you want.
    Either way it wouldn’t have much resale, but does that matter if it’s the guitar you want and you’re going to keep it?

Footsore likes this.
  5. QuantumSchema

QuantumSchema TDPRI Member

I'd say it depends on your budget too. The Thinline bug recently bit me and I eyeballed the CV 60's for a bit and thought about doing the same. I ended up going down a different route and doing a custom build that's going to cost a fair bit more.

Definitely not crazy though! Partscasters are super cool. Why compromise when you could part the perfect guitar together.

Since you're going to swap the electronics, hardware, & neck anyways... it might be worth doing some research on building out a Thinline partscaster the way you want and seeing if you can manage it all in your budget.

Footsore likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.