Squier CV 50s - string height close to nut

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by klinge, Oct 9, 2017.

1. klinge

klinge TDPRI Member

Hi,

I'm new to the forums and was not certain where to place this as it is maybe more of a general guitar question than a specific Squier question. Hope it is ok!

I a fairly new guitar player and about a year ago I bought a used Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele. It was setup real good when I bought it and played nicely.

Recently I notice that the string height at the first couple of frets closest to the nut are really low resulting in buzzing. The string height at the 12th fret is pretty much the same as when I bought the guitar. Compared to my other guitar that has a Tusq nut I also notice that the slots in the nut are pretty deeply cut on the CV Tele.

Being new to guitars I would like to know what could be the cause of this and what I should do to fix it. Any suggestions appreciated.

2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you aren't able to do the work yourself, I'd get it into a guitar tech.

Installing a Tusq nut is actually really simple though, if you have any experience working on your guitar. Only issue that I've faced with stuff like the CV necks is that thick layer of finish makes it hard to extract the nut without chipping everything up.

3. klinge

klinge TDPRI Member

So you think swapping the nut is what I should do?

I swapped the nut on my other guitar (an Epiphone Les Paul) and that was easy enough. But then it has a rosewood fingerboard and no painted finish..

4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would stop short of saying that it's undoubtedly your problem, but it's something I've done with pretty much all my cheaper imports. I'm a fan of the TUSQ nuts.

Yea, I did a cheap SG and it's much easier than the ones slathered with that tinted finish. They don't want to come out clean and I'm not sure I can give you good advice on how to it without damaging the finish (specifically, the finish just above the nut on the headstock). I'm 0-2 at this point, though I still don't regret doing it. An exacto knife and lots and lots of patience is your best bet.

5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Welcome to the forum, glad you joined.

Just to confirm that the nut slots are the problem, do you get any buzz when you stop the strings at the first fret?

6. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

It may be the nut slot like you suspect, but it may also be that the relief is not set properly.

7. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Could be a high fret too. Bet it's not the nut.

8. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

Recently I bought a Squier CV Strat 60s and it has the same problem as the op's. I got the neck and string height setup and noticed the nut slots were just a bit too low for my liking. The new nut should be here this week but I too am worried about the amount finish i'm going to have to cut through to get the current nut out. Are there any pointers or tips to you guys can pass along? I have a super sharp Xacto. Would adding some heat help?

While researching I learned that some people take the cheaper route of removing the nut and placing some slivers of dense paper in the nut slot to raise the height.

Mickey slick likes this.
  9. klinge

klinge TDPRI Member

Thanks to everyone for giving advice!

I checked the guitar yesterday evening. Checked frets with a fret rocker and the frets in the area close to the nut (where the buzz occurs) seems to be level. I also checked buzzing when fretting first fret. What I noticed is that I still get some buzz doing that. In fact I get most buzz on playing open string and then diminishing buzz on 1st fret, also a little on 2nd. Third fret and upwards the buzz is gone.

Would this suggest it is a neck adjustment problem rather than a nut problem? Or could it be a combination of both? (nut being slightly low in combination with a neck with too little relief?)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  10. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

BTW are the strings clean? Sometimes I get a buzz at the first fret that turns out to be finger gunk under the strings. Run a cloth under the strings and it resolves.

11. klinge

klinge TDPRI Member

Yes, changing to new strings was the first thing I did when I started noticing the buzz.

12. user34603

user34603 Tele-Meister

...get a setup guy to do the work and then explain it to you. Setup is nut slots, string height about fret 12 and neck relief and can be affected by a loose or otherwise 'high' fret. Don't assume you know the problem. Let a pro look it over.

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you fret a string at the 3rd fret and it touches the 1st, there's a chance the slot is too low.
    If the guitar used to be good, and now it's not, there's only a very slim chance the nut slots have changed and you'd have to look elsewhere.
    It's quite easy to get a handle on this stuff and begin to do your own setups.
    Once you get a little good at it, you'll be surprised at how many little tweaks you can make to suit your preferences.
    There's probably even a step-by-step tutorial somewhere on TDPRI.

klinge likes this.
  14. Mickey slick

Mickey slick TDPRI Member

Did you go to a lighter gage string a smaller sting will fall in the nut making it closer to the freet

15. summer_69

summer_69 Tele-Meister

Hej. Try to loosen the truss rod a bit. It might do the trick.

16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

For the umpteenth time...one does NOT randomly slack or tighten the trussrod a random amount of turns and hope buzzing goes away or action improves.
    There is a simple, prescribed method of setting a truss rod that should be done BEFORE any setting of action or searching for buzzing begins; and it is neither, "try tightening it a bit," nor "try tightening it a bit."
    It's like saying, "Your car's not running right? Loosen that little screw there on the carburetor. I saw my cousin do that once and it worked."

xafinity likes this.
  17. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

I think it might be useful to take some actual measurements before changing this and that.
    BTW, an actual measurement is made using inexpensive gauges.
    Klinge might find it interesting to watch a few setup videos on youtube. You will see the best are very methodical step by step. Not difficult or complicated just exacting.
    As Charlie Chitlin said, find out whats up before guessing at this and that.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    klinge and TeleTucson like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.