1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Squier Classic Vibes (50s edition) Telecaster Upgrades? (My profile Pic).

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Tele907, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Tele907

Tele907 TDPRI Member

Hi, I've got a tele (title name), and I'm looking to upgrade it, tbh I kind of think, with not alot of work it will be fender quality, but not fender price; pine body, bone nut (STOCK!), stays in tune but still looking to upgrade...

(Wanting: Brass three-barrel saddles
    better pickups (I'm more of a classic rock guy, rather than country).
    Vintage style tuner upgrade.
    The neck plays great, but not sure how to sand, or if its worth it (high gloss vintage neck).
    Maybe looking for domed steel tone and vol. knobs.)

Thanks!!!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    68Telebass likes this.
  2. Tele907

Tele907 TDPRI Member

I guess what I'm looking for is brand/type reccom. and general insight.

3. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

The Fender Vintage 52 knobs can be had for a decent price on eBay, guitar center or reverb. They look the part.

On my older Classic Vibe the knobs were press fit on split shaft pots, though. I don’t know If they are still sold that way. Since the Fender knobs use a set screw, I went and upgraded the entire switch plate with new pots and switch. The whole swap was less than $40 for what ends up US spec parts.

The bridge on mine wasn’t awful, but you can upgrade just the saddles to, for example, Wilkinson compensated brass saddles for a very reasonable price.

I haven’t heard the new Squier CV VB pickups so I can’t comment on yours On my older vintage blond classic vibe the pickups are hotter Alnico 3 and vey similar to Tonerider hot classics. I absolutely left them in.

Lastly, on the vintage blond I went with a parchment pickguard as the finish looks more like a ‘54-‘56 in my opinion.

I have a few high end guitars and at this point I’ll put this one up against any of them without a doubt. I’ve gigged with this without hesitation.

6CD6D0D3-7072-4A28-B042-7427BD8EB851.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

The new CV 50s of either color are Fender designed alnico 5 pickups that are low wind vintage style. On the previous CV series, the BSB one had the vintage style alnico 5s, equivalent to Tonerider's Vintage Plus set, and the White Blonde had hotter alnico 3s that are equivalent to Tonerider's Hot Classic set.
    Fender's Twisted Tele set is their most affordable, and has a Strat sounding neck pickup and a beefy bridge pickup. Similar overwound and affordable sets can be had from the likes of the aforementioned Tonerider, Rose, GFS, and Cavalier, as well as others.

5. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Yes to Wilkinson compensated brass saddles.. also check out Wilkinson tuners as well- reasonable price, great quality. They should have the set of vintage ones you are looking for-

For some hotter, rockin’ pickups- check out the Bootstrap “Pretzel” Tele pickups. They are wound in a garage in Ohio, get lots of love here, and check in at about $50 a set!! Here’s a link.
    https://bootstrappickups.com/products/bootstrap-pretzel-pups

get a switchcraft jack, and a few full size CTS pots, maybe get an Oak-Grigsby 4-way switch your allow series wiring the pickups to get stealth humbucker tones.

Whew!!! Of course you don’t have to do it all at once:rolleyes:.

I’m working on a Squier Bullet Tele project- got the pots and Wilkinson “EZ lock” tuners, a graphtek nut, and some Bootstrap “Original Recipe” AlNiCo III pickups (basically Nocaster pickups at 1/3 the price!:cool:). Keep posting- hope this helps!
    Carl (C-Note;))

6. TeleRooo

TeleRooo Tele-Meister

Gotoh In-Tune Compensated Saddles For Tele @ StewMac

7. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

I have a set of those on my Baja. They are very good.

8. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

'spruce body'. Is that a new one?
    My Classic Vibe 50 VB is pine... but it is an old one, (2009).

Keep on Truckin and Tele907 like this.
  9. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

On my CV 50's Blonde, majick toan faeries sprinkled toan dust on the stock pickups. I set the heights and left well alone afterwards. They sound wonderful ( especially the neck ) and there's no way they're getting replaced. If I was more of a heavy rock music noodler, I'd go for a four-way switch, but I noodle dad-blues, classic rock, Wilko and three chord punk. It has so many sounds in it, I often discover something new.
    Saddles. Personal choice. Currently mine has E+A - stock, D+g - Wilkinson compensated, b + e - stock. It works for me.
    Tuners. I replaced mine with some near identical ones bar the buttons for purely cosmetic reasons. I like the white buttons. I'm shallow. Other than a variance in 'turning' weight, I never had a problem with the stock ones.
    Nut. Stock, little bit of fettling and some graphite powder.
    Output socket. Electrosocket.
    I switched the 'guard out for the mint from my CVC, and switched the necks around. Both cosmetic.
    Pots. Never had a problem with CV pots.

tintag27, anthony79 and Tele907 like this.
  10. Tele907

Tele907 TDPRI Member

Haha, oops... Yep, it's a pine body my bad.

tintag27 likes this.
  11. Tele907

Tele907 TDPRI Member

Idk, it seems like my pickups sometimes dont get enough mmph out of them, so I'm looking for maybe something hotter (not going to pretend I know what I'm talking about. But I mean more output). 4 way switch sounds interesting...

12. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hit up @Kmaxbrady for his Bensonite Fat Saddles. They are compensated for correct intonation, and super comfortable if you do a lot of palm muting at the bridge. Plus, they look super cool.

Kmaxbrady and Tele907 like this.
  13. Tele907

Tele907 TDPRI Member

Hey, this is a really helpful post, however, are these the right pots? https://guitarelectronics.com/tele-electronics-kit-w-cts-pro-pots/ It says they're for a three-way switch, and If I'm upgrading to a 4-way, will it work?

14. bls82261

bls82261 TDPRI Member

68Telebass and Tele907 like this.
  15. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

To each his own, but if you like the tone of the pickups, why not just add a clean boost pedal in front of the amp? That'll give you all the oomph you could ever want. It doesn't need to be a pedal labeled "Clean Boost." Almost any pedal with an output level control will do the job well enough for you to test the concept. Anything like a Tubescreamer, Blues Driver, American Sound, etc., with the gain and tone neutral and "volume" or "output level" boosted is effectively a clean boost and can easily overdrive your amplifier's preamp.

tintag27, 68Telebass and Tele907 like this.
  16. Tele907

Tele907 TDPRI Member

bls82261 likes this.
  17. Tele907

Tele907 TDPRI Member

bls82261 likes this.
  18. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

On my CV Esquire I changed the capacitor to a 25 i think it was, changed the saddles to compensated brass, changed the knobs to a vintage rounded style and stuck a stacked humbucker in it. I have had it for a year now and love the changes. However, I recently stuck the stock saddles back in as my strings moved a lot on the compensated ones and I didn't have the materials to channel them properly.

Tele907 likes this.
  19. Tele907

Tele907 TDPRI Member

Hey thanks for the insight, I think I'll still do the brass compensated ones though.

20. Tele907

Tele907 TDPRI Member

I love the sound of these, I think they'll be perfect for what I'm looking for, however, there is one video on youtube with them. If you have them installed into one of your teles (I'm assuming you do), I would greatly appreciate a video or sound file of them (I'm aware that tone is also in the fingers). I know that that's asking alot, but I'd really appreciate it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.