Squier Classic Vibe Tele and Duo Sonic Replacements?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by WJKIM, Dec 7, 2017.

1. WJKIM

WJKIM TDPRI Member

Hi, I have CV Tele and Duo Sonic. As I am trying to change the pickups, I am wondering if I would have to also change bridge, nut, or electronics on both guitars...

1. Was the vintage Duo Sonic in "series" in the middle position?

2. Do I need Danelectro "on-off-on" switch to change it to series? Can I do it with stock one?

3. Are electronics (pots, wires, and etc.) that bad in Classic Vibe Tele and Duo Sonic? Do I need replace them?

4. I want to have that vintage sound back in the 50s... But in my opinion, as long as they work fine and do their job, electronics, bridge, and nut are fine to stay... Is there much difference in CTS pot and better bridge?

5. If so, any recommendations where to get the best parts for best price..?

Thanks!

BorderRadio likes this.
  2. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

good luck, and have fun. modifying guitars is an obsessive-compulsive's rabbit hole. just one more tweak......

3. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

you need the danelectro switch, see here:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/series-wiring-on-cv-duo-sonic.574857/

no you don't need to change the wiring or pots unless the pots break. if you do change them alpha's are cheaper and will let you use the same knobs. the cts pots will require 1/4 inch knobs. They are both made in Asia.

if you really want a 50's style sound try flatwound strings.

4. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

The CV tele is vintage spec as it comes stock. Stick a better quality switch in it and your good to go.

yardleyboy likes this.
  5. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

My thread is referenced above regarding the series wiring. One more thing I did was the Ted Greene-Fezz Parka mod. That way you can keep the 250k pots, but you can keep brightness when turning down the volume in the series position.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.