1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Squier classic vibe series and thin finish

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by buckwalder, Sep 12, 2014.

1. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I have two, one is the CV 50's Vb Tele and the other is the 60's strat Car. Both of these guitars have the thinnest finishes I have seen on a poly coated guitar.
    I have seen and owned vintage Fenders and AVRI models with thicker finishes.
    Does anyone know how their painting these guitars to achieve this thin poly finish?

2. TheBoss1983

TheBoss1983 Tele-Meister

I have heard that the CVs have a thick finish. I don't know exactly because mine is still nearly mint but I don't care about how thick or thin a finish is. There are thick coated guitars which sounds great and thin coated which sound horrible...

3. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

they are stupid thin.
    ive read where people say they
    cant stand the super thick finish
    but I dont think they own one but are
    just making things up.

mine has areas where the finish has sunk and /or is gone already.

[​IMG]

4. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

The reason I brought this up, was because I had a chip on the back edge of mine. My classic vibe is very yellow unlike any other of the same model, it's a 50's VB.

Anyway, I had to mix yellow and white paint to match, and it took only one layer of paint to bring it up to the surrounding finish. Usually a drop fill takes several layers.

5. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I read somewhere, that they use the electrostatic method to paint these guitars, so that might explain it.

By the way are those the stock knobs on your custom? Those are nice ! if not where can I get a pair with that knurl but with the dome tops ?

6. zen-box

zen-box Tele-Meister

Yeah, me too heavy knurl envy, you might call it :D

7. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

Same with mine!

8. surfoverb

9. surfoverb

you mean powder coat? not sure about that. usually powder coat is a very durable finish. Some pedals use this method, and it looks cool.

10. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Thanks for the link on the knobs.

I can't remember where I read about the paint process but they did use the term,- electrostatic- so maybe it's like powder coating in a sense, I really don't know.

11. ecosse

ecosse Tele-Meister

"Electrostatic" is used to attract the finish to the guitar while being sprayed. Powder coating uses a similar process to attract the powder when being applied. Powder coat is the baked while poly just dries.

12. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Both of my CV's are painted, poly of course, and seem very heavy in their solid colors. Those of you that have pics here of CV's and CVC's that sport wood grain may have a valid point as to thinner finishes.

I don't know for sure how the finish applied, however, since you mention the electrostatic application process, I'll bring up a couple of points. First, the electrostatic process is designed to ensure that even coats are applied in hard to reach areas. Guitar bodies don't have any hard to reach areas. Second, the equipment required for the process is expensive so considering the price point of CV's...it's highly doubtful that this is the employed process.

Knobs though? Well...they don't come much better than these...

Attached Files:

13. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Well, that may be true but, wouldn't the expense of the equipment help to save money in paint cost in the long run ? I would think so.

The other thing is this. My CV is the vintage blonde. The guitar is a 2009 and is the most yellow one I have ever seen, I mean this thing is really yellow like a ripe banana. Also, It's very hard to see the wood grain on this one. The finish is very thin just like my CV strat.

The CV VB 50,s tele I traded for the same model I have now, also had a thin finish. That tele and the strat are both from 2013.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.