Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele Ordered

3rdworlder

TDPRI Member
11-48 Rotosound strings on my CV here. No issues whatsoever. And I finally got the tone the niners won't deliver. Check 'em out. Oh, and ENJOY your Squier! :)

cvansickle

Tele-Holic
@nicod98, didn't you see my post #18 from Friday? It ABSOLUTELY happened!
@goonie, it's a Pine body according to the online specs, but yah, it's HEAVY!

mKwManQ.jpeg

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I am looking at a great deal on a CV '50s Squire Tele. If I pull the trigger, here's what I'd most likely do and not do after playing it stock for a couple weeks:

1. Replace factory nut with GraphTech (I have a couple lying about, so no biggie). Will reduce string friction and breakage because I bend a lot.
2. Replace brass saddles with individual saddles - either steel leftovers from my parts bin or GraphTechs, depending on how much I bond with the guitar. Improves intonation and GraphTech eliminates more friction/breakage.
3. Replace stock evil Asian tuners with Sperzel lockers. I like a guitar that stays in tune and makes string changes a breeze.
4. Replace evil Asian electronics (Bournes pots, Oak Grigsby 4-way, PureTone jack, Electrosocket).
5. Install .033 PIO Soviet surplus cap (might still have one in my parts bin).
6. Install 9.5 strings (Goldilocks gage for Teles IMHO).

Playing it stock for a couple weeks before I jump into the above upgrades will tell me whether the factory pickups are worth keeping. If not, I'll place an order with Bootstrap (I'm thinkin' Extra Crispy this time) and be done with it.

End of day, with the guitar @ $300 and the upgrades @ $150 or so, I'll have under $500 invested in a great giggable Telecaster that I won't worry about. And that's a win.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I bought your guitar's twin in May. Mine weighed in at 9.2 lbs. Feels heavier than any LP I've picked up (but that could be old age). So far, I've done arm and rib relief, replaced saddles with compensated brass, and replaced the tuners with Gotohs. A set of Bootstrap USA Palo Duros is on order.

1656778135821.png

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Congrats on the BSB CV50, love mine (I have 5 :eek:). Great platform for modding.

I have done a few things to mine.
Replaced the neck with a Classic Vibe CVC neck.
Shielded the cavities and added a grounding harness.
Replaced stock pickups with Fender Twisted Tele.
Replaced electrics with Toneshaper 4 way.
Replaced saddles with Gotoh In-Tune brass compensated.

20220313_200517996_iOS.jpg 20210828_175938171_iOS.jpg

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats on a fine guitar!

It sounds like your concerns have been answered and I concur. String swap is no problem. They are pine and they are heavy.

My CIC 50s came with brass saddles. I wonder why they switched.

The only thing that I did to mine was replace the controls. The switch went bad so I replaced it and the pots. It's otherwise stock and it sounds and plays great.

Enjoy!!!

cvansickle

Tele-Holic
Whelp, the CV Tele didn't work out for me. I just couldn't get along with the neck. The 9.5" radius was too alien to me, being a Les Paul and Reverend player mostly. I sold it over the weekend.

But fear not, I'm still in the Tele camp, sort of. I'll post my newest acquisition in the Other T-Types forum.

Carry on!

John Stephen

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Whelp, the CV Tele didn't work out for me. I just couldn't get along with the neck. The 9.5" radius was too alien to me, being a Les Paul and Reverend player mostly. I sold it over the weekend.

But fear not, I'm still in the Tele camp, sort of. I'll post my newest acquisition in the Other T-Types forum.

Carry on!
Reverend has a Tele-lookingish guitar, I think it’s called the Buckshot or something similar.

kaynray

TDPRI Member
I bought your guitar's twin in May. Mine weighed in at 9.2 lbs. Feels heavier than any LP I've picked up (but that could be old age). So far, I've done arm and rib relief, replaced saddles with compensated brass, and replaced the tuners with Gotohs. A set of Bootstrap USA Palo Duros is on order.

View attachment 1000146
Just curious: how much weight would you say was removed with the belly and arm reshaping?

Willmunny

TDPRI Member
I'm stepping back into a true (well, true enough) Telecaster again!

Yesterday I received a few dealer emails about how Fender knocked $40 off the Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster. I have been wanting one of these for several years, and this morning my wife convinced me to get it. (Yeah, she's a keeper, and no, she doesn't have a sister!)

Couple questions for the satisfied CV users:

- I like 10-46 strings on my guitars, the CV ships with 9-42. Has anyone had any issues with the saddles or neck using heavier strings?

- I understand that Teles with brass saddles are heavily preferred. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade option, like a Callaham or something similar, for the saddles?

Thanks!
Any classic vibe is a a player out of the box.
I would suggest spending some time with you guitar before making changes.
The only change I have made on my CVs is to upgrade the dime size pots with a 920d wiring kit.
That had more to do with me than the guitar
Just my 2c

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
Any classic vibe is a a player out of the box.
I would suggest spending some time with you guitar before making changes.
The only change I have made on my CVs is to upgrade the dime size pots with a 920d wiring kit.
That had more to do with me than the guitar
Just my 2c

True. I see people throwing away perfectly good parts because the internet told them that they had to in order to "upgrade" the guitar. It kind of works out for me because I can often get cheap or free parts to use for my cigar box guitar obsession.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Just curious: how much weight would you say was removed with the belly and arm reshaping?

I don't think I removed more than a few ounces . . . not enough to make a noticeable difference. The comfort from the belly cut is off the charts.