Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele Ordered

cvansickle

Tele-Holic
I'm stepping back into a true (well, true enough) Telecaster again!

Yesterday I received a few dealer emails about how Fender knocked $40 off the Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster. I have been wanting one of these for several years, and this morning my wife convinced me to get it. (Yeah, she's a keeper, and no, she doesn't have a sister!)

Couple questions for the satisfied CV users:

- I like 10-46 strings on my guitars, the CV ships with 9-42. Has anyone had any issues with the saddles or neck using heavier strings?

- I understand that Teles with brass saddles are heavily preferred. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade option, like a Callaham or something similar, for the saddles?

Thanks!

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
You may get some binding at the nut if you go up a string gauge. Lubricant will usually help. Don't make the all too common mistake of assuming tuning problems are caused by the tuners.

There's no need to buy expensive snake oil brass saddles. You'll probably find the stock saddles to be fine. If you really brass, get some Wilkinson compensated ones, inexpensive since they weren't polished with unicorn fur and yeti grease.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member

Yesterday I received a few dealer emails about how Fender knocked $40 off the Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster. I have been wanting one of these for several years, and this morning my wife convinced me to get it. (Yeah, she's a keeper, and no, she doesn't have a sister!)

- I like 10-46 strings on my guitars, the CV ships with 9-42. Has anyone had any issues with the saddles or neck using heavier strings?

- I understand that Teles with brass saddles are heavily preferred. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade option, like a Callaham or something similar, for the saddles?

Thanks!

1. They do fine with a 10-46 set. The nut is cut for 9-42, but may accommodate 10-46 without any changes. If you get any string binding or "pinging," run the wound stringsback and forth in the slots to open them a little.

2. Other people's preference of saddle material doesn't matter. What does your guitar sound like after you give it a setup and adjust pickup heights? If it sounds good, it is good. If you want to try brass saddles, shop around and find a set for $15 or less. You don't need compensated saddles unless the guitar won't intonate well enough after a setup and new strings. $20 or so will get you those. Higher priced stuff like Callaham is nicer, but functionally about the same.

I'm acquiring parts for an Esquire build. I'll be using Fender's '58 steel saddles as I want the most twang I can get from the guitar when it's together.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter

Thanks!

Just my two cents-

I got a CV '69 Tele Thinline in November and gig with it and it is fantastic, stock.

I love the pickups and bridge ( tuners are not the smoothest turning, but the guitar stays in great tune)

* just sayin' give it a chance stock for a while- things are good!

My Thinline came with 9-42's, I put 10-46's on there ( D'Addario's) and even though things sounded great- I missed the 'give' from the 9's

So I tried D'Addario 9.5-44's, and feel like these strings were custom-made for this guitar- twang, great feel, and a little more body than 9's.
Love this guitar- for anything I play ( R&R/blues/Country)

Attachments

• IMG_8558.jpg
    IMG_8558.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 53

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
I had a 2018 MIC CV 50's Tele and she took 10-46s without any problems whatsoever.

connuchar

Tele-Meister
Eye have an earlier Chinese version that eye changed to 10-46 strings and added a 4-way switch, it's also the natural wood finish [eye don't remember what the name for that was ] B U T , it's a great guitfiddle , a tad on the heavier side too. Meye understanding is that the early Chinese models were made to American specs so you can swap out pretty much anything you want , that was [at least to me a good bonus .

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
I had 10s on my 2008 CV for a while and they caused no problems. As for the saddles (and everything else), concentrate on really dialing in the setup and then play the guitar as-is for a couple months before deciding whether something needs to be replaced. More than a few "I need new (whatever)" complaints arise from a poor setup. Unless you're a compulsive tinkerer, don't fix what ain't broke.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I've played my new CV daily for a month. New tuners and compensated brass saddles (Gotoh) are sitting on my dresser. The intonation was not bad at all, and I dialed it in a little better. I wanted brass anyway, so I bought the compensated Gotohs. My tuners seem inconsistent . . . they feel like key rotation results in different amounts of post rotation.

Saddles.jpg

bls82261

Tele-Meister
I have a '20 white CV50's CIC. The nut excepted 10-46 with no issues. I swapped out the saddles for the Gotoh in tune ones for cosmetic reasons only. I like the look of brass. I didn't notice any difference in tone.

MattyLa1978

TDPRI Member
Congrats on the new guitar! I picked up a CV 60's tele and had some work done.

My tech put in brass saddles and we added Boot Strap Extra Crispy pups. I had a tusq nut put in from Sweetwater before it was shipped.

I also put in a Tone Shaper variable treble bleed. Tone Shaper

We also upgraded to the 10-46 strings which I feel are much better for the Tele.

I'm going to be lowering the pickup heights and working with the tech to dial in the Tone Shaper. The brass saddle most definitely adds brightness for sure.

It's not exactly where I want it but it's very close. The CV stock pickups are going into my new Surf Green Bullet Tele.

I'd say play the hell out of it first and see what you like. It's a hell of a good time nevertheless.

I have a wife that is very supportive too - isn't that the best thing in the world! Cheers to the ladies!

Terrygh1949

Tele-Meister

Thanks!
Classic vibe guitars are excellent. Have had several, no complaints.

Arfage

Tele-Meister

Thanks!
Any good guitar can be quickly set up for different strings, people make a bigger deal out of it than it is. As for saddles, a lot of people make saddles that are either beveled or slanted for intonation. I've had both and they work great. As for steel vs. brass either are great. I do like Callaham for their Tune-o-matic bridges but I'm sure their Fender stuff is just as good. Gotoh also makes saddles that have a groove that hides the bevel for a more vintage look. Personally my fave is the slanted brass, no particular reason.

BlueGillGreg

Tele-Meister
My Tele's a CV 50s white finished pine. I use 10s or 11s and never even thought about the slots. Everything fit fine when I put on the new strings, and it tunes and plays well. Mine came with brass saddles, but I bought it used about ten years ago. It may have been spec'd differently back then, or the first owner may have changed the saddles. I'd suggest finding out how well you like steel before changing to brass. I thought I'd be changing at least my neck pickup, but I like the guitar so well as is that I haven't changed anything other than swapping in a flashy pickguard. These can be plenty nice with no mods.

micadoo

TDPRI Member
I've got a CV 60s Tele and other than the slim neck, I've no complaints at all. Even the pickups are fine, and that is usually the first thing to go on a cheap import. Like everyone here is saying, play it for a while then decide what mods you want to make. The CV line are an incredible value. great modding platform, and a good way to start learning how to do things yourself. As far as strings go, I'm a fan of DR pure blues 9-46 the best of all worlds haha. Enjoy your new axe, it's insane how good a guitar they can make at that price point. Cheers

cvansickle

Tele-Holic
My package of candy arrived today, along with my CV Tele! ;)

First impressions:
- It's a boat anchor, but I like my guitars on the heavy side.
- The neck is comfortable, not too thin.
- Definitely needs a setup with 10s. The stock 9s are just too springy for me.
- Played it through my home office Blackstar practice amp both clean and dirty, and it sounds really good each way. Later I'll run it through my Vox AC15 and Fender Deluxe Reverb, and maybe my Marshall DSL40 too.

Thank you everyone for contributing to this thread. I really appreciate your comments and opinions.