Squier by Fender CV 70's Strat NGD

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by RoCkstAr256, Aug 23, 2019.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Got it from guitar center here for 400 $, it plays really well, needed quick set up. Loving how bluesy it sounds, can do some rock and hard rock too. Im going to change pickguard to mint one soon. Just restringed it. Very solid and high quality for this price

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RodeoTex, Zepfan, Dismalhead and 7 others like this.
  2. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

Congrats! Squier has really made a quality line with the CV series. My CV tele is a workhorse. It's fairly modifies these days, but I prefer it to any non-baja MIM and even many USA Fenders.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  3. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

I dig the pickguard on it now. Congrats man

4. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Holic

Happy NGD!

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  5. RoCkstAr256

Average for me, i preffer mint. I bought one but doesnt fit really, gonna replace it soon.

I love glossy neck at the back, feels so soft. Indian laurer looks like cheaper rosewood, although it is quality one. Much better than affinity or bullet strats, teles.

Wont replace pickups. They sound so sweet and bluesy :)

Toadtele likes this.
  6. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

Congrats on the new strat!

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  7. RoCkstAr256

Thanks Guys, i will post more photos soon :)

8. RoCkstAr256

[​IMG]

White wine, Olympic White strat

9. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I LOVE CV's. I have recently become a almost all CV player and my #1 is now a CV strat, a 60s. They are all china models tho. However, 3 of the new indonesia CV line are on my radar. That very white 70s strat you got is one of them. The other 2 have not yet hit the shelves and won't till november. That being the 60s strat and 60s double bound tele. Just wondering how they will sound being nato/indian laurel. But your 70s strat is already out there, just have yet to find one nearby. I'm really curious how the poplar body and indian laurel board sound. I have a gut feeling it pops really nice and i like the color and 70s head. How about the neck tho? Have you owned a chinese 60s CV strat and if so is this 70s thinner, thicker, or the same?

Hopefully I'll be able to find all three at one of the 5 or so GCs within driving distance from me and see how they are. Any of the 3 that pass the in store test will go home with me to try and pass the 45 day trial test. I just love the CVs, even that tiny zinc block. I actually prefer it to the full size one or even the callaham steel in my MIM 60s classic ! Even tried a GFS steel....went back to the stock "junk" ! It just has a certain punch no other trem has. And the 60s pickups....man, they are one of my fav strat sets ! I don't get it, but somehow fender has been selling some of my fav guitars made in china for a song. My 50s V tele is a thing of beauty in every way. I paid $200 in mint condition...it's nuts man. Wish they had this stuff when i was starting out !

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  10. RoCkstAr256

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. fender4life

I asked this above but maybe u missed it. Can u comment on it?

12. RoCkstAr256

Havent had other Cv Strats, nekc feels abotu the same as Mim StandardPlayer teles and strats

13. fender4life

K, well never played those myself but i gotta figfure they can't be thinner then any CV. Hopefully not as thin as the ridiculously thin CVC tele tho. Thanks.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  14. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

My "recently released Squiers" example is a (Cort factory) 2018 Indonesian Vintage Modified 70's Stratocaster. Bought new around Christmas 2018. "Floor stock" it cost me $269 and I couldn't find a blemish anywhere on it. The neck is 9.5" basic C shape like most recent examples. It's not really thin and it sure isn't "fat" but comfortable and only slightly fatter than my Indonesian (Cort again) 2019 Classic Vibe Jazzmaster neck. That one isn't "thin" to me and I have giant palms, although my fingers are average short relative to my palms. ie: I have really large hands but not really long fingers, if that makes sense.

So while the Stratocaster is a 2018 Vintage Modified, and the Jazzmaster neck is a 2019 Classic Vibe ... they compare to be close although the CV neck is slightly thinner than the VM neck is. I have a 2013 Vintage Modified (Indonesian Cort yet again) Jazzmaster neck that is exactly the same as the 2019 Classic Vibe Jazzmaster neck. Not sure how this relates to the question being asked but it demonstrates that from the same factory, the same guitar "styles" reflect the same approach in neck profiles between them.

The Strat (VM in this case) has a slightly thicker neck than the CV Jazzmaster, and the VM Jazzmaster shares an identical neck profile to the CV Jazzmaster. They are all spec'd as having "modern C profile" and all share identical radius (9.5")

So if I had to guess I suspect the CV Tele has a slightly thinner neck (and the stablemate VM Tele) than the VM 70's Strat does, and that the CV 70's Strat shares the same neck profile as the VM 70's Strat does.

This might all change with the 60's series, but I bet the VM's and CV's share neck profiles as long as they are the same (60's Teles in this case) "decade series" and guitar shape/type (Strat, Tele or Jazz) and from the same factory in the same country.

CV/VM Telecaster - thin neck (depth) Modern C profile 9.5" radius
    CV/VM Jazzmaster - thin neck (depth) Modern C profile 9.5" radius
    CV/VM 70's Stratocaster - slightly thicker (depth) Modern C profile 9.5" radius
    CV/VM 60's Stratocaster - unknown to me. I suspect they share the same whatever it actually is.

Now I think of it, probably no help to you at all. :confused:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    RoCkstAr256 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.