Squier Bullet?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by uxstephanie, May 11, 2021.

1. uxstephanie

uxstephanie NEW MEMBER!

So I was curious if anyone had a bullet they modified and what the thoughts are? Is it simply replacing the pickups?

2. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

i've got a bullet strat that i stuck a loaded pickguard with emg noiseless pickups onto, had the frets levelled and polished and it's great. i have a better tremolo system, a wilkinson i think, that i'm going to swap in at the next string change.

it's a great guitar. it has a nice chunky neck, medium jumbo frets. nut and intonation were spot on out of the box. I'll take a pic for you later.

davidchagrin likes this.
  3. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

Which model? I have a bullet mustang and I changed the pickups. Small improvement, the stock ones came across (to me) super midrangey- almost nasally. It wasn’t as bad as that sounds though. I’m not super impressed with the ones I replaced them with either though (gfs crunchy pats)

As far as the tele? A lot of people like the stock pickups. I Have an affinity strat I changed the pickups in, and did not like the “upgrades” as much as the stock.

I would start with a setup, maybe basic fretwork if you know how and see how you like it!

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a Squier Bullet back in the 80s, it was my first serious electric guitar
    It needed nothing. I wish I still had it
    It looked just like this one
    [​IMG]

davidchagrin likes this.
  5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Bullets are great to mod. You don't even really need to change the pickups, unless you have a specific goal in mind. For example, I would change them because I like a hotter, more aggressive sound than most stock pickups. But, try adjusting the pickup height first - a small change can make a big difference in the tone. Also, the electronics components are "budget" - but they work and will likely work for a long time, but likely eventually needing replaced with a better switch, pots etc. But if they work for you, why change them. Again, I like to change the switch because I like the feel and click of the switches used in the USA models, but the import ones are no less functional. The necks are usually quite good and may need some setup and filing of the fret ends if they are sharp running your hand up and down the neck. The nut may be synthetic bone or plastic - I'm not sure what they are using these days. If it's synthetic bone and is cut properly (which most frankly are cut very well) there is no need to change that either. A lot of people will say the stock tuners need to be changed, but I have had no issues at all with my lower end Squiers and have not changed the tuners on a single one. They are smooth and keep perfect tune, if strung properly.

Most of the mods I do will be for the pickups I like, the switch, minor tweaks to the neck (filing fret ends, polishing the frets, rolling the fingerboard) and I do often change the pots while I have all of the other guts out, anyway. Everything else is cosmetic - new pickguard, maybe. A couple of beat up low end Squiers I have refinished, as well.

Ronzo likes this.
  6. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Here ya go IMG_20210511_172446.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

My Bullet Teles are great! One's all souped up, but the other is mostly stock.

8. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

I got a Squier Bullet tele during the holidays for a great price (wife got it for me :)

After a quick setup, it's great. Didn't need to change a thing! Pickups sound really good, better than a Squier affinity which costs more. Plus, string through body in the bullet.

9. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Bullets are solid instruments. Whether they need to be modified depends on the individual user and their expectations. Some people never touch them, others modify them, yet others absolutely hate them. That being said, at the price point, I recommend you try one and see where the muse takes you. One can make music on a rubber band or a grand piano. But some of us enjoy exploring the instrument more than the music.

bls82261 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.