Squier Bullet Tele LPB neck swap and 4-way switch

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Recently got the LPB Squier Bullet Tele for $130. I think it is more Ice Blue Metallic, but very nice color nonetheless. It is a really good package right out of the box. I replaced the nut and enjoyed it some to make sure it was a keeper. Then I swapped in a very nice and somewhat beefy maple fretboard neck from a Tele Cabronita. I moved the Bullet neck on to a Regal partscaster project that was in need of a neck.

I also installed a 4-way switch. The wiring is pretty simple, but isolating the neck pickup cover grounding wire and soldering it to a separate ground wire took me right to the edge of my limited soldering skills. That grounding wire is as fine as frog hair and routes under one of the ceramic pickup magnets. I considered removing the magnet, soldering and replacing it but fortunately my micro-soldering worked. I didn't want to ruin the neck pickup because it sounds really nice, one of the best Tele neck pickups I have encountered.

Last edited:

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Original Squier Bullet Tele

Squier Bullet Telecaster LPB.jpg

gip111

Tele-Meister
Nice guitar, love the maple with the blue. Now, is it me or does it look like the high E string is at the edge of the neck?

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
That 4-way switch is an excellent, inexpensive mod. Well played!

If you’re looking at a pickup swap down the line, Ryan at Bootstrap Pickups will provide a separate ground for the neck pickup at no additional charge. Saved these old nerves!

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Nice guitar, love the maple with the blue. Now, is it me or does it look like the high E string is at the edge of the neck?

You have sharp eyes. I had to go look at it once you asked. Indeed, the neck needs to be loosened and tweaked over just a bit. The high E sits just fine until I would get to the very upper frets.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
That 4-way switch is an excellent, inexpensive mod. Well played!

If you’re looking at a pickup swap down the line, Ryan at Bootstrap Pickups will provide a separate ground for the neck pickup at no additional charge. Saved these old nerves!

Thanks Ronzo, I will keep that in my back pocket!

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
Looks great! I just got one, in Red Sparkle. I was considering the 4 way switch, are you happy with the result?

gip111

Tele-Meister
You have sharp eyes. I had to go look at it once you asked. Indeed, the neck needs to be loosened and tweaked over just a bit. The high E sits just fine until I would get to the very upper frets.

I can't play to save my life but Im anal when it comes to a good set up and adjustment. Man all this talk about this color tele made me order one.

philbeck

TDPRI Member
Very nice. Just curious, where did you get it from? I have one on back order from Guitar Center at that price and they say they are not available until May 2021.

gip111

Tele-Meister
Very nice. Just curious, where did you get it from? I have one on back order from Guitar Center at that price and they say they are not available until May 2021.

Well, Musician's friend web site says "In stock ready to ship" but just got an email...

"Thank you for your recent order from Musician's Friend. We're sorry–when you placed the order, we thought we had the item(s) in stock. As it turns out, your gear is currently backordered as we observe longer-than-average shipping times from our suppliers. We will send you a shipping notification as soon as it's on the way."

We'll see the next couple of days how it goes. I might even give them a call.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter

I got mine from GC this summer. The prices ping pong between $179, $149, $139 and $129, maybe even lower. GC and Musicians Friend are the ones I have seen doing this. I think you will not be disappointed. I liked mine right away. I did a setup and replaced the nut but everything worked together better than I could have imagined.

I waited to post it because I knew some mods were probably coming. The final version came out to 7.4 lbs. Just right for me.

Last edited:

Urshurak776

Tele-Afflicted
I just grabbed one of the BSB tele bullets on MF for $139. Checked site again about an hour later and out of stock. So you have to move quick once you get the email.

philbeck

TDPRI Member
Well, Musician's friend web site says "In stock ready to ship" but just got an email...

"Thank you for your recent order from Musician's Friend. We're sorry–when you placed the order, we thought we had the item(s) in stock. As it turns out, your gear is currently backordered as we observe longer-than-average shipping times from our suppliers. We will send you a shipping notification as soon as it's on the way."

We'll see the next couple of days how it goes. I might even give them a call.

Guitar Center had the same problem. On their web site it kept saying that the item was "In Stock" so I would call and say "then send me one I have one on back order". They said the web site was wrong and told me the guitar will be available in May 2021. I tried to order one at Musicians Friend for the same price by phone and they too said it was not available. I'm just gonna wait it out.