Squier Bullet reunited.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
My first Fender/Squier was in 1984, a present from my folks after coming out of hospital after my accident.
I only played it for a couple of years, then it ended up in my folk's attic being the ungrateful teenage headstock snob that I was back then.
I switched to an Ibanez RS1000 (currently in pieces) and a Washburn pointy headstock thing with the Wonderbar trem (worst guitar ever).

During an attic clear out for my folks in 2017, I came across the old Squier, in more or less mint condition.
My nephew was just starting out and had been playing acoustic, so I thought I'd carry out the family tradition of giving him his first electric because my uncle had given me my first guitar.

He intends to drop it off to me in the next few weeks because he hardly plays but I've told him I'll restring it, give it a set up and return it to him before he comes to a decision whether to give up entirely. I'll also sit with him and give him a few lessons.

Strangely I've never taken any pictures of this guitar and know very little about it.
It's taken me about an hour online looking for an exact photo of the guitar, so I'm assuming this Squier Bullet MIJ bought in 1984 might be quite rare.

I've enclosed a picture I found online of one and I'm wondering if anybody else has one of these or knows much about them.
I promise I'll post a photo of the guitar itself once it's in my hands in a few weeks time.
1648832530486.png

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Uh, I have a few Bullets. That body does not look like any I know. JMHO Get us a photo of yours. I have a '93 that I love to death.

notmyusualuserid

Friend of Leo's
It's a MIJ Bullet 1 Contempory HST. Better neck than the average Bullet.

The HST stands for..........
........Hybrid Strat Tele. Really.

:)

Slip Kid

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
My first Fender/Squier was in 1984, a present from my folks after coming out of hospital after my accident.
I only played it for a couple of years, then it ended up in my folk's attic being the ungrateful teenage headstock snob that I was back then.
I switched to an Ibanez RS1000 (currently in pieces) and a Washburn pointy headstock thing with the Wonderbar trem (worst guitar ever).

During an attic clear out for my folks in 2017, I came across the old Squier, in more or less mint condition.
My nephew was just starting out and had been playing acoustic, so I thought I'd carry out the family tradition of giving him his first electric because my uncle had given me my first guitar.

He intends to drop it off to me in the next few weeks because he hardly plays but I've told him I'll restring it, give it a set up and return it to him before he comes to a decision whether to give up entirely. I'll also sit with him and give him a few lessons.

Strangely I've never taken any pictures of this guitar and know very little about it.
It's taken me about an hour online looking for an exact photo of the guitar, so I'm assuming this Squier Bullet MIJ bought in 1984 might be quite rare.

I've enclosed a picture I found online of one and I'm wondering if anybody else has one of these or knows much about them.
I promise I'll post a photo of the guitar itself once it's in my hands in a few weeks time.
View attachment 968747
My first electric was a Squier Bullet which I got in ‘84. I was expecting yours to look like mine. Cool looking guitar, though and yours is much cleaner as mine is all dinged up. I currently use mine as a travel guitar when we go to my father in law’s house in Maine during the summer months.

403F27F2-1BD9-4062-BC51-CD6D1F84848A.jpeg

EllenGtrGrl

Tele-Holic
My first electric was a Squier Bullet which I got in ‘84. I was expecting yours to look like mine. Cool looking guitar, though and yours is much cleaner as mine is all dinged up. I currently use mine as a travel guitar when we go to my father in law’s house in Maine during the summer months.

View attachment 975210
I had that exact model of Bullet! IIRC, they were made with leftover MIA Bullet parts that Fender sent to Japan, when they were first getting Squier going, so it's very similar to one of the previous US made Fender Bullet models. They were made in 1983 and 1984 (mine was a 1984). The pickups, like the ones in the US Bullets, are supposedly leftover Duo Sonic pickups.

I never should have gotten rid of mine (I needed the money at the time [2010]) - I got it cheap at the local Music Go Round for under $200 in 2009 (since then the prices for them have gone up quite a bit). The Duo Sonic pickups give it a nice and spanky sound, and the neck profile, is a chunkier C, that my hand likes oh so much. One of these days, if I can find an MIJ Bullet that is just like my old one (3 Duo Sonic pickups, with a hard tail, Fender 70s style individual barrel saddles bridge) that isn't going for the $800 - $1000 that seems to be the going price for them, I might buy it.

My Old Squier Bullet
52015038426_303b13fa40_c.jpg

Last edited:

Slip Kid

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I had that exact model of Bullet! IIRC, they were made with leftover MIA Bullet parts that Fender sent to Japan, when they were first getting Squier going, so it's very similar to one of the previous US made Fender Bullet models. They were made in 1983 and 1984 (mine was a 1984). The pickups, like the ones in the US Bullets, are supposedly leftover Duo Sonic pickups.

I never should have gotten rid of mine (I needed the money at the time [2010]) - I got it cheap at the local Music Go Round for under $200 in 2009 (since then the prices for them have gone up quite a bit). The Duo Sonic pickups give it a nice and spanky sound, and the neck profile, is a chunkier C, that my hand likes oh so much. One of these days, if I can find an MIJ Bullet that is just like my old one (3 Duo Sonic pickups, with a hard tail, Fender 70s style individual barrel saddles bridge) that isn't going for the $800 - $1000 that seems to be the going price for them, I might buy it.

My Old Squier Bullet
52015038426_303b13fa40_c.jpg
Nice! Under $200 in ‘09 sounds like a deal. I was inspired in ‘84 by this back page ad in Hit Parader to hound my parents for one. According to the ad the original price was under $200. The current asking prices on Reverb are crazy. It was a nice, solidly built cheap electric to start learning on but don’t think it’s worth crazy money. It has sentimental value to me but I’d almost consider listing it at those prices to potentially fund another Tele! On the other hand it is nice to have it because I can leave it for the summer at my father in law’s house and have something to play while visiting.

85A5FE3B-A1DA-4074-98BD-E2CD5C4C011C.jpeg

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I'm still stuck on the fact that you stashed it away in an attic. Could not have been good for that poor guitar.

Esquier

Tele-Meister

View attachment 975210
Funny, not all the Bullet necks include a marker dot on the last fret. At least on a rosewood fingerboard neck. Too much money!