1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Squier Bullet is Legit!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by el cheapo, Feb 3, 2020.

1. yyr123

yyr123 TDPRI Member

4 way switch on teles should be the standard

I love my out of phase quack on my t-style

nicod98 likes this.
  2. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Well, after much playing time I've come to the conclusion that the stock pickups are ok for practicing at home but not so much for playing out. I did want to give them a fair chance though.

So what to do? I already have SWEET single coil sound with a set of Rose Westerlands in my Squier Standard, so I wanted the Bullet to rock! Decided to go noiseless with my old Seymour Duncan STKT1N neck pup and the Dimarzio Area T 615 bridge. These pickups have always worked well together, and I kept the same 500k volume and 250k no-load tone pots. Great combination! Time will tell but I think I've found a permanent home for these pickups!

d barham, BBQedIguana and 68Telebass like this.
  3. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the update!!
    Planing my Tele “project” and the Bullet is on the list of starting platforms!

BBQedIguana likes this.
  4. Dirtyclinic

Dirtyclinic TDPRI Member

NICE! I love the Squier Bullet Tele! I have one too. Mine doesn't even say "Bullet" on the headstock though. I guess yours doesn't say "Telecaster" though.

[​IMG]

BBQedIguana likes this.
  5. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

6. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Still playing my Bullet! Latest and hopefully last mods are, Dimarzio Area T pickup in the neck and a set of Squier Standard saddles. The Area T neck sounds way more open the the old SD pickup and pairs nicely with the Area T 615 bridge. I also noticed that the original Bullet saddles were pretty thick and kinda wide. My #1 string had a tendency to get pretty close to the edge of the fretboard and the fat saddles didn't allow much room for adjustment. I had a spare Squier Standard bridge so I swapped out the saddles and now I have enough room to put the strings where I want them. It plays and sounds better than ever!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    TequilaCaster and SecretSquirrel like this.
  7. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This makes me want to get a second one! Last winter I got the red sparkle and could not be happier. Got the Bullet Mustang, too, with a little work it is fantastic.

8. bls82261

bls82261 TDPRI Member

Not to hijack the thread but which Bootstraps did you go with and how do you like them?

9. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

You are a $50 USD set of Bootstrap pickups and a 4-way switch away from Tele nirvana. I used Palo Duros, but ask Ryan (@Bootstrap) to match your needs. He’s a good man, and he’ll steer you right.

Pretty color, too. I wish my Affinity was a little closer to that color. Congratulations!

d barham likes this.
  10. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I got two during the MF $129 sale, and the Orange Affinity one on sale for $179. I put Yosemites in the LPB one, the CV STA3 Tonerider equivalent A5s in the Surf Green one, and some GFS Retrotrons in the Affinity, to make it a poor man's Cabronita.
    DSCN1128-2.JPG RSCN1134-2.JPG

d barham and FortyEight like this.
  11. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Thanks! When I traded for it I thought it was way too orangey, but I'm getting used to it. Area T's are staying! They sound great in this guitar and give me a noiseless option when I need it. If I can get away with single coils I use my Squier Standard...

[​IMG]

12. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

Pretzels. Love them.

bls82261 likes this.
  13. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like those Retrotrons. Which flavor did you get?

14. brianbivens

brianbivens TDPRI Member

Yep, I got a Surf Green bullet earlier in the year for 119 and I play it quite often at church.

When I got it, there was a short in the pick up selector, so I replaced all of the electronics and wires except the pickups (great sounding ceramics on par with Mexican Fender tele to my ears) with a US spec set up (Switchcraft 3 way switch, full size Alpha Pots, .022uf Orange drop capacitor). I also had to level the frets, crown and dress them and then I sanded the neck to 2500 grit and put a BLO finish.

For fun I through a Fender water slide on the headstock, since, well, it’s mine...

15. brianbivens

brianbivens TDPRI Member

A88F8DFB-F497-439D-9A13-8DA302DE94FE.jpeg 177D3DA1-F117-454E-B0CA-78B537C0CAD8.jpeg 908FE537-288D-4AC1-AC95-AD5501E5DF24.jpeg

16. Controller

I agree, the Bullet pickups sound great, no need to swap them, i tend to like ceramic pickups.

TequilaCaster and FortyEight like this.
  17. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

18. DougM

I got the vintage wind Nashville. It was the one that sounded best to me in the samples. I considered getting the actual Filtertron sized ones with the adapter mounting bracket and pickup rings that were standard HB on the outside and Filtertron sized on the inside, but I was afraid everything wouldn't line up, and I have no way to drill new holes.

19. Controller

I have a Xaviere XV-950 hollowbody with the Retrotron Nashvilles and they are really nice for my needs. I tried a set of Retrotron Liverpools in another semi-hollow guitar and they didn't do it for me, ended up with GFS Ferrite Goldfoil humbuckers in that one.

DougM likes this.
  20. DougM

Yeah, from the sample clips the Nashvilles sounded more twangy and chimey than the Liverpools, even though the Nashvilles are ceramic, and the Liverpools are alnico.
    I'm tempted by the Xaviere with the Minitrons, but since I'm not working I can't afford it, unless my employment situation changes, or more covid relief is passed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.