Squier Bullet is Legit!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by el cheapo, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

Similar on a Bullet Strat. What they are doing is trying to really pare down the cost by using a very low wind and then boosing it with powerful magnets. Cheap,but not the best sounding at all. An upgrade to any alnico pickups will bring a great improvement to what is a well constructed and decent instrument. There are some fine affordable oriental pickups such as the Wilkinson range.

2. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

After I adjusted my pickups they sound just fine. No better or worse to my ears than my Keystones, Seymour Duncans, CV50's A3 or A5's, Dimarzio's, Fender's or Rose pickups. Unmistakable telecaster tones.

TIM5150 likes this.
  3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I kept the stock pickups in mine for a couple of months. Sometimes I liked them, and sometimes I didn't. I finally replaced them with a set of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0744MTPSK/?tag=tdpri-20

The difference in clarity is significant.

4. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Glad you found a set of pups that work for you!

When I got my CV Thinline I was convinced a set of Keystones would be an upgrade from the stock A5's. They weren't. The stock pups sounded better and I put them back in. My Squier Standard sounds wonderful with a cheap set of Rose "Westerlands" pickups that sounded thin and weak in my CV 50's BSB, so you never know. Your guitar will tell you what it likes. My particular Bullet likes the stock pups just fine.

5. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

I heard anecdotally that they require fewer turns of wire because of the strong ceramic magnets. Regardless, I like them just fine. They suit my needs for the moment.

6. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

In case anyone is interested I thought I'd pass along some information to the good people here...
    I was pretty satisfied with my Bullet Tele. The neck alone made it a keeper for me. It played great and sounded pretty good, at least good enough for practicing at home. Well, I never could leave well enough alone so I swapped out the stock 250k pots for some new Alpha 500k pots and wired it 50's style. It's a whole new guitar now! Before I left the tone knob dimed all the time and it sounded decent. Now I can use the full sweep of the tone knob and have lots of good tones to choose from. I like the 50's wiring and I think it helped, but the 500k pots brought these pickups to life! I would seriously play out with it now, at least with the church group I've been playing with lately. No gear snobs there!

Plustop likes this.
  7. longbow

longbow Tele-Holic

I just put a 5 way drop in harness assembly in mine yesterday. Bought the thing off ebay and have to say what a difference it makes for the tones you can get out of it. I put different pups in it I bought a few yrs ago and never used but ended up putting the stock bridge pup back in cause it was much better than the aftermarket pup. The harness is a full size assembly too, purchased a Fender vintage control plate too along with top hat and vol/tone knobs. Truth be told the stock control plate is better just not big enough for the controls so go figure that one out. A bit thicker and just seemed more solid.

Tone roll off and vol. is superb now. Simple to hook up EXCEPT for the out put jack. That thing was a bear trying to get out, so finally I gave up and un-soldered the full size jack from the harness assembly and reconnected the stock jack to the new harness assembly. It is much louder too and I can't figure that out as to why it would be but it is. The fella I bought it from does excellent work, with just a professionally built harness assembly using full size pots and orange drop caps and old school cloth wire. The only other mod I've done is to put a bone nut on it. thanks

8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I was pleasantly surprised by the stock output jack assembly on mine. I assumed that at some point it would loosen, fall out, and need to be replaced with an electrosocket, but so far, like yours, that thing will not budge. It makes me wonder whether the Squier factory used something more than the usual clip to secure it.

Also, the barrel of the jack is nice and long, so it works with any right-angle plug I shove into it.

9. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

39822A27-27FA-4942-9F91-84CC7084C80E.jpeg

I also pulled the trigger on a Squier Bullet Tele. They had the LPB ones on sale for $129. Needing a Tele in my arsenal I couldn’t resist. It did take a proper setup, fret polishing and fingerboard oil treatment to get right but I’m very happy with the instrument. Oh and I took the headstock logo off with 800 grit sandpaper as I prefer a clean headstock. I may change the bridge pickup and would be looking for a “snarling P-90-ish pickup with lot’s of “kerrang””. Any suggestions?

frettchen likes this.
  10. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I think I'm done futzing around with my Bullet Tele. All it really needed was a setup, but you know how it is. I made a bone nut for it and widened out the string spacing a hair. Stock nut was pretty good but it's even more playable now. Input jack was a little loose so I replaced it with an Electrosocket I had laying around. Done. For the wiring I finally settled on a 500k volume pot and a 250k no load tone pot. The stock ceramic pickups sound really good if you bump the volume pot up to a 500k. Overall weight with a strap seems to be right at 7 pounds on my bathroom scale, which feels good to me. So yeah, the guitar looks good, plays good, sounds good and it's stupid cheap. What's not to like?

Plustop likes this.
  11. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

For a P-90 tone in a Tele bridge pup, check out the Rose Freedom T-90.

"FREEDOM T-90: Collaborative design from customers, P-90 tone without modification to Tele. Custom "Rose Only steel threaded cores" No phenolic cores... We do not take short cuts."

https://www.rosepickups.com/new-products/classic-telecaster-bridge

12. frettchen

frettchen TDPRI Member

very nice looking guitar! Is it in lake placid blue? It appears tending to purple to me:D

Itgoesto11 likes this.
  13. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

Not at all purple. Definitely Lake Placid Blue with a mint guard. Must be the photo....

frettchen likes this.
  14. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

Thanks...will look into them

15. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

Depends on how much you want to spend on a pickup. A Fender Nocaster" would be my first choice but Wilkinson's "Broadcaster" pu is very affordable and surprisingly effective.

Itgoesto11 likes this.
  16. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

It seems like the consensus is that a 500k volume pot is a good upgrade. Think I’ll try that before touching the pickups. I like the bridge but the neck is a bit muddy for me. 21FF413E-8ABD-4BEF-A496-61A145A7E6AE.jpeg

The Lake Placid Blue does look more like “Ice Blue” to me but I’m happy with the finish and the sound of this rig

17. Giz-Tone

Giz-Tone TDPRI Member

How are the frets on the Bullet Tele's lads? I have an Affinity strat from 2000. The fret wire is like butter. Wore in no time.

18. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

The frets were fine on my Bullet. They did need some polishing and dressing. I invested $80 for this and a pro setup but the neck and frets feel great.

Giz-Tone likes this.
  19. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

I, too, bought a LP blue tele bullet. On sale pre-order from MF. Can't beat that.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...er-electric-guitar/l21128000002000?src=3XBACR

Got mine from GC. Was really good out of the box. Some minor fret issues, but played great. Nut was not that badly cut. Thought about changing pickups but love the sound. They are ceramic (argh!), but are good. Got it set up and it's stellar. Much better that the affinity imo. The Indonesia made ones are better I believe. Had two CV from China that were good, but the bullet is way better in my opinion. It's basswood and is a tiny but thinner in depth than a traditional tele.
    Greg

20. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

This is a pic of the route in case anyone’s interested. Today I’m attempting to install new Bootstrap pickups and a 4 way switch. New to soldering so this should be interesting to say the least!
    7E5A3E55-773C-41CF-B58C-8905F780F190.jpeg

bls82261 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.