1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Squier Afinity Telecaster Serial Number (help)

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by idvc, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

@Gary135r , isn’t your Affinity Tele a lefty? Not sure if Musiclily makes those locking tuners in a left-handed version.

Gary135r likes this.
  2. Gary135r

Gary135r TDPRI Member

Yes it is, Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize, (I should have in hindsight) that mine would turn differently.

3. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

I found these on Amazon, but I don’t know if they’d require drilling:
    Dopro Lefty Chrome Locking Guitar Tuners Left Handed Tuning Keys Machine Heads Korea Made https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BNZHTG2/?tag=tdpri-20

I wanted the ease of lockers for fast string changes. But the original tuners on the guitars you and I bought were very serviceable. The OP’s Bullet may have tuners that are less so.

Gary135r likes this.
  4. Gary135r

Gary135r TDPRI Member

Great! I'll add them to my list. Like you said, I heard the Affinity tuners aren't horrible. And for a newbie, I just want my bad playing to be from me and not the guitar lol.

5. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

I went for broke. I installed the Graph Tech "Ratio" 6 inline staggered locking tuners. Are they worth the money? I'm not disappointed. No problems with the hardware. Do I have "balanced tuning" now like Graph Tech says? The guitar stays in tune. Any locking tuner is an upgrade over the stock tuners. This guitar is very Bright sounding even with the black plastic nut. In the posted front of headstock "Squier" photo you will see I replaced the Black plastic nut with a white Bone Nut I ordered off Amazon. The bone nut was advertised as a flat bottom Fender Strat/Tele pre string slotted. I took a chance ordering this $8 pre slotted nut even though they DID NOT give the string spacing dimensions. It did not match the the same string spacing. Instead of sanding the Flat bottom of the nut till it fit I had to sand the top removing the slots and re filing them to match the plastic nut keeping the shape. The guitar is still overly "bright" sounding. Changing the tuners and adding a Bone nut had little effect on the guitar tone. It is still clear loud and bright. The guitar needs some Warm tone and less Bright.

Attached Files:

6. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

I'm trying to like My new Bright and Clear sounding Fender Squier Affinity with Maple neck, string thru Alder body made in China guitar. Playing with different effects adding a graphic equalizer at the end of the chain helped to take some edge off the brightness but still not to my liking. Under the chrome switch volume and tone knob plate I replaced little green .033uf tone capacitor with a Fender .05uf(.050) that I ordered from "Amplified Parts".com. Single coil pickups usually have a .047 tone cap. to filter more high frequencies. More High frequencies more brightness. A .033uf tone cap is going in the wrong direction. Fender Guitar being the King of single coil pickups has a special .05uf tone cap not a .047uf. This $12 Fender .050uf capacitor shaped the guitar tone to a Vintage voice that was still Clear and Bright. Trial and error I mean this is a challenge. I go back to Graph Tech and order a set of string-saver saddles that add "warm" to your tone. Not their Black Tusq saddles that adds bright to your tone. $180 bucks later I could have bought a Squier classic vibe 50's guitar for what I spent on this affinity.

Attached Files:

7. Gary135r

Gary135r TDPRI Member

When people say no offense, they usually are setting things up for an offence. So here I go:
    No offense but, as intricately involved parts wise, finance wise, and knowledge wise. Why did you pick the Affinity to begin with? I am new to this guitar world, but even I have an idea what a Squier Affinity is about. What were you expecting? And if the sound was too bright and after a couple of changes to no improvements, why did you keep spending good money after your bad? This post confuses me, but like I said, I am new to this world.

8. icorona

icorona TDPRI Member

Hello, I have a similar situation here, I bought a Fender Squier Affinity "Butterscotch Blonde" on August 13th of this current year 2020, (does not seem butterscotch blond to me) and I have the same characteristics in common: I tried to register it on Fender's webpage and it did not find the serial number, it spells full telecaster on the headstock instead of tele, through body strings, but my serial number is CSSD2004XXXX, so I don't think it's a 2020 model..... I bought it "brand new" from amazon. I appreciate any help in advance.

Attached Files:

9. Gary135r

Gary135r TDPRI Member

It's all good. The Affinitys have been built this way for a few months. Mine was one of the first I believe because when I asked about it in February (built in Nov.) many people hadn't heard about the changes, and Fender is being coy about the upgrades. They have acknowledged them to me over the phone and if you look at the box from Amazon it will tell you it came from Fender to Amazon and then on to you. I take this ultimately as a win because all the changes seem to be for the better. Check other threads and you will see more comments on this. Enjoy your "new" guitar.
    Also, "Butterscotch Blonde" Teles through the years are not the same color shades or bodies, but yours is a Butterscotch Blonde.

icorona likes this.
  10. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

That is a beautiful guitar! If you don't mind me asking, what was Amazon selling it for? I believe the 2004 in the serial number is the 4th month of 20, 20/04 as it were.

In fact, I like everything about that guitar, including the color, odd as it is, except the tuners with the offset screw. Almost any good replacement tuner will end up leaving a visible hole. Small price to pay for a great guitar.

icorona and Gary135r like this.
  11. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

I have to comment again on that color. It almost looks like an Aztek Gold, or, if you can see the wood grain, maybe a Honey Blonde (both official Fender USA colors at some point in time).

I like that a lot.

icorona and Gary135r like this.
  12. Gary135r

Gary135r TDPRI Member

$229.00 They reference it as Butterscotch Blonde. The tuners can be changed without the scars.

icorona likes this.
  13. icorona

icorona TDPRI Member

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!!!

Gary135r likes this.
  14. icorona

icorona TDPRI Member

Thanks Gary135r, that helps me a lot. The price I payed for it was $229. Thanks a lot.

15. icorona

icorona TDPRI Member

Sorry, I meant thanks jfgesquire!!

16. Nash-RCP

Nash-RCP TDPRI Member

I have a 2020 Affinity exactly like yours. I took a failed shot with the GOTOH Magnum Lock-Trad 6 inline locking tuners. I thought I had hit a home run at first, as the holes were the right size and even the single screw on the back lined up with the hole. Once I tightened the first one down, I soon realized that the post was not tall enough. Even if they had worked, the downward angle from the nut to each tuner would have been greatly increased. Does that make sense?
    So my question is, do you think the Wilkinson's are the same height as the factory tuners you replaced? Thank you.

17. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

I’m not sure if the Musiclily locking tuners I bought are Wilkinsons, but they didn’t give me a problem in installation or in tuner height. I continue to use the string trees, they work smoothly and well, and I play that guitar daily.

Here are the tuners I bought, on Amazon:
    Musiclily Pro 6 inline Guitar... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071HP77WX/?tag=tdpri-20

18. Nash-RCP

Nash-RCP TDPRI Member

19. Nash-RCP

Nash-RCP TDPRI Member

I installed the Musiclily Locking Tuners a few days ago and the difference in tuning stability is impressive. I think the factory tuners on my Affinity may have been worse than most, because a couple of the little nylon washers on the tuners were already split and coming out on a two week old guitar. The Locking Tuners basically dropped right in, however the set screw holes were slightly off and so the screws had to go in at a slight angle, but were almost flush by the time they were all the way in. Drilling was not an option as I would have ended up with holes that would have required larger screws. Your tip about using soap on the screws was very helpful. I think these tuners at $27 are the perfect match for a $229 guitar.

20. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.