Squier Affinity vs Squire Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster

Telecaster

• Total voters

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
The Chinese Classic Vibes have secret sauce rubbed into them. Really good guitars -but- try to try before you buy.
@dougbgt6 discovered the CV pickups are often sold on inexpensively. I guess people replace them because they 'can't be as good as xyz123abc pickups'. They have great pickups, but a poor height setup from the factory. Tuners are split-shaft, which are the one true design. Pots are OK too.
The try before you buy applies to the neck. Not everyone gets on with the neck profile. The neck is, to me, the single most important aspect. It determines how you play, your playing comfort, and whether or not you actually pick the guitar up.
CV necks are on the thin side and the glossy finish annoys many too.

My Strat is an Affinity. The neck is larger than all my Classic Vibes, but well within my comfort wheelhouse.

If the Affinity neck is your neck, decent pickups needn't cost a lot. The Affinity range is worth looking at, the Classic Vibe range is well worth looking at.

Buy the one with the neck you prefer.

Tommy Biggs

Friend of Leo's
The Affinity has a thinner body IIRC, I never liked that. Our drummer had one - it seemed less indestructible than my regular old tele. It was like it wasn't the same old tele feel.
I played a couple of CVs that did seem like regular Teles.

Last edited:

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I found another one for $306 but this time it is a Made in China Classic Vibe. Seller said that it was originally Butterscotch color but it turned to cream over the years.

Is this much better? I kinda wanted the Butterscotch color ...

Screenshot-2022-11-18-at-11-57-36-AM.png

Screenshot-2022-11-18-at-11-57-22-AM.png
Butterscotch to cream? Sounds tasty, but unlikely. The neck pocket would have the evidence, though, most likely.

Wildeman

Tele-Afflicted
As others have said, the Affinity bridge is a weird size, I've found one that works for the top loader, but it's an expensive Hipshot product, I got it used and it's a fine part. On my newer Affinity however, I was able to drill it out for three compensated saddles, I find the six saddle affinity, especially the top loader, to be a pain in the but.
Hipshot top loader
IMG_20221118_110121284_HDR.jpg
drilled out stock bridge
IMG_20221118_110210208.jpg
Affinity bridges are longer than vintage style so the screw holes will not be covered if you use one.

MelodicBend

Tele-Meister
Why would you consider this? That Ibanez is freaking too cool.

Squires are cheap enough and in high supply. Don't give up a Japanese beauty for something you can buy anywhere anytime. If you must, sell the Ibanez independently.

Good luck.

DoubleTall

TDPRI Member
i'm a bassist, but i've somehow ended up with six guitars. some usa stuff from the 70s, mij guitars from the 80s, a fender modern player tele, and an mic cv50s tele. the cv50s gets the most play by far. when my son's band takes breaks during rehearsals at our place, their schecter/evh shredder plays the cv50s. when i took it to a friend's house, he played it for a while and said, "thanks for making my other guitars sound like crap."

i'm voting for that $306 mic.

bender66

Poster Extraordinaire
This Indio Monoprice T-style has been pretty good for $60. After having it a while, I've been able to dial in the neck pickup where I like it better than I did in my initial impression of it.

View attachment 1052087

As for the guitars you mentioned, the CV is a better overall guitar and has a more vintage feel and sound to it. I guess you'll have to decide how important that is to you since some people favor that while others either don't or don't care. I wouldn't trade away that Ibanez for a CV though.
I just got both versions, the Retro and DLX. For $76 it was barely ok. I returned it. It would have been a decent project. The DLX are incredible for $139 right now despite being 10lbs.
20221129_005128.jpg

I know this thread is a month along but that ProAudio site has open box CV's for $200+. I'd check that out if your still in the game.

valvestate

Tele-Afflicted
Hey folks, what's the difference between Squier Affinity Telecaster and Squier FSR Affinity Series Telecaster

FSR seems to be much expensive but specs appears to be the same?

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
I don't like the Affinity bridge and, as far as I know, there's no drop-in replacement.
The new Affinities have a different bridge than previous (and other model Squiers). It looks to have the same screw hole pattern as the MIM, which would mean that a vintage style bridge would be a direct swap. With older Affinities, you are stuck with the import bridge.

bender66

Poster Extraordinaire

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted

I generally go after Affinity/Bullet Squiers for the cost (and lately, for cost, there are the Harley Bentons and Glarry and Eart and a few others with lower prices and some upgraded hardware). Fender has Squier carve necks too skinny, and often inconsistently, where I've found I like chunky necks -- so the clone brands do a better job copying the MIA Fenders and have become much more appealing for me if chasing price.

Once you get into the CV to MIJ models I prefer just getting a MIM Player Series (used for a lower price).

MIJs are risky due so many factory variations that most don't know how to spot fakes or partscasters -- so you think you have a MIJ but it's a MIJ neck on an Affinity loaded body.

I'd keep your Ibanez, maybe trade that for the MIM Tele.

When you get a Tele ... I'd wire it with a 4-way switch for series humbucking tones so you have a stealth Les Paul Junior.

So summarizing: if go low cost get a Harley Benton (TE-52 on Thomann) or Glarry (Amazon) and if reaching for mid-market get a used MIM Player Series.

If you're considering Harley Benton, you'd loo ikely want to consider Monoprices guitars, also. The Indio Retro DLX Plus, made by the same people who make guitars for Harley Benton.

Their ash bodied Deluxe Tele I mentioned above is only 139 with upgraded hardware and pickups. Used to be $200. Found at the Monoprice outlet store at Walmart.com and available with free shipping.

I'd rather pay, $139 for that Than $200 plus another $50 to ship essentially the same guitar from Thomann's.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
Hi,

I'm mostly a Strat guy but I wanted to have just one Telecaster in my collection and mostly be using for some jams and sometimes Church band usage. I saw these nice Butterscotch color that I like that I'm considering to purchase.

Is it really worth the higher price tag that the CV 50s has knowing that I'll still be mostly using my Strat? I had a MIJ Fender Tele before that I really did not bond with due to lightweight, buzzes and also noisy on stage with its stock PUPs. I dunno if I will have the same experience with the Affinity model but of course, I also want to purchase that I will also be happy with and not waste my money.

Squier Affinity Telecaster 2022 model - $205
squier-affinity-telecaster-ele-1668431356-b8df023e-progressive.jpg

Squire Classic Vibe 50s - $345
squire-classic-vibe-50-telecas-1667967281-d864acb5-progressive.jpg

Btw, the guy selling the CV 50s also somewhat willing to trade for my rare Korean made Ibanez SAS32FM which is fully modified. Not using that much but it has lots of memories and I think it is worth more than his Telecaster. What do you guys think?

20201113-132355.jpg

Please advice. Thanks! ;)
Pick. Them. Up!
srsly

Pick up the Affinity, feel the neck, strum a few chords. Then pick up the CV, feel the neck, strum a few chords.
Then you'll know why the CV costs so much more!

At those price points even a few hundred $:s will make a world of difference.
When you go into four digits, not so much.