Squier Affinity Tuner Suggestions

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Aristotilus, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Aristotilus

Aristotilus TDPRI Member

Hey everyone,

I purchased a Squier Affinity (made in Indonesia) Telecaster a few weeks ago and I'm looking for some suggestions for tuners that will fit in. From what I've read online the Fender locking tuners don't fit the Squier tuner holes and need some adjustments / drilling. So rather than potentially mess that up, I was wondering if there were any locking tuners, or just some nice tuners in general, that would fit the Squier drilled holes already.

Thanks for the help!

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I think you can find some import locking tuners on ebay around $20 or less a set that will likely fit, metric shaft to metric hole.

If you are chasing locking tuners because of 'tuning problems' I'd leave the stock sealed tuners as they work ok, tuning issues are usually player or nut. Player fix is always 'tune up' the guitar not down and the nut just needs correct filing, especially if strings were upsized.

Build on the MIIs is overall quite good and repeatable from guitar to guitar. Only mods I do are the pots, switch, and jack plus block or deck the trem (I get distracted by a working trem). I leave the tuners and leave the pickups (which often have half the capacitance of the 'upgraded' pickups).

bgmacaw likes this.
  3. Aristotilus

Aristotilus TDPRI Member

Thanks! I appreciate the help. I got a new TUSQ nut I'm going to slap on there, so I'll work my way from there and see what else needs work.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

The stock Affinity tuners are pretty decent. First of all, make sure you aren't stringing it up like this...

bad stringing.JPG

And that the nut is cut correctly for the string gauge you're using.

If you want a set of inexpensive locking tuners, I bought these, http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=361650604686 , to go on a store brand Strat-oid garage sale special I was fixing up for someone (original tuners were damaged). I ended buying another set to go on my SX Tele just to make string changes more convenient. I suspect these will fit an Affinity since the sizes are pretty standard.

5. Aristotilus

Aristotilus TDPRI Member

Thank you!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.