Squier Affinity Series™ Telecaster®

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by crcic, Sep 24, 2019.

1. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

2. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

The body is Alder, an improvement on the Squire Affinity range, you can always replace pickups, tuners also those strings could be .010-.046, but 200 Euro is a bit dear. I'd try to get it for 150 max. JMHO.
    It may be a toploader, no string through body, but that's not a huge issue. It's just a bit expensive and you'd have to love that colour. JMHO.

crcic likes this.
  3. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Thank you! The thing is that we do not have any other guitar shop here, so I don't have choices.

4. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Its not extortionate, it costs £170 in the uk (€190 exchanged but the pound isnt doing well). Deciding if youll like it is another thing and the best thing to do is try it. The only feature that I really dont like is the narrow nut.

crcic likes this.
  5. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

I have already try it and I like it. I just needed to know is it worth for the money. Thank you again, I will go and buy it now.

6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

If YOU like it that is the main thing.
    I would still try to get it for 20 EURO less.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The Indonesian made Squiers are much higher quality (manufacturing repeatability, exacting tight tolerances) that they are quite good. They tend to have skinnier necks due to Fender's spec -- skinnier carve not the 0.5mm nut width often cited.

I'd say to keep the stock pickups, adjust their height, and then over time swap out the pots, switch, and jack for the usual brands in the MIAs.

Get a 4-way Oak-Grigsby switch for it and you'll have a stealth LP series/humbucker tone available.

nicod98, mkdaws32 and crcic like this.
  8. bangcaster

bangcaster Tele-Meister

I would check out the Harley Benton line on Thomann.

9. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Done. I just get the guitar. Will send pics. later.

We don't have Harley Benton line on Thomann at this **** hole where I live, fender, jackson, yamaha, gretch and that's all.

p.s. this guitar neck is different than the original fender strat. that I have, it is playable but different feeling in my hand, I guess that is normal telecaster and stratocaster to have different necks?

p.p.s. I really love the sound.

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

If I did the conversion correctly, its around $259 USD. Affinities are running $199 retail, so not ridiculous, but does have a premium. Given the limited availability, its reasonable.

Affinities are fine. I play mine when I'm not playing much more expensive guitars. If it feels good and sounds good, it is good. Go for it.

I find the top loader and the low output pickups on mine sounded pretty thin, and the tone circuit on mine was near defective - tone knob acted like a switch. After several years, I modded the tone circuit, and changed to some thicker sounding Fender pickups.

11. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

Congrats on the new Tele. Let us know how it is. I’ve been thinking about picking one up just to drag around with me when I go out of town for work.

12. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

There are a number of neck styles for both Telecasters and Stratocatsers, depending on the model and the year. They go for $260 Canadian here, so that’s about 180 Euro. 200 doesn't sound unreasonable and the difference is probably just due to different import fees and such.

As others have said, these are solidly built guitars. The hardware is quite good, the wood is good and the build quality is fantastic. Given a proper setup, these rival guitars at 2-3 times the price.

The switch and and controls are cheap, but they work fine. I like to upgrade them on lower cost guitars, but it’s not strictly necessary.

The bridge pickups on the 3 or 4 I’ve tried recently have all been shockingly good right off the rack with no adjustment. I’m less impressed with the neck pickup, but I’ve heard it can sound good with some adjustment in the height. I have not had the opportunity to try this myself, though.

Bottom line: Congrats! You scored a great guitar!

crcic likes this.
  13. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

And yes, they give me fender string for my strat because I have to change them and guitar strap gratis, both cost 20 EUR, so more or less I'm satisfied.

Will tell you my impressions once I get back home, but keep in mind that I play guitar for 6 months only so everything is pretty much the same to me, except the colors of the guitars. :)

RiverDog likes this.
  14. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

Just keep at it and you’ll get better. At least thats what I was told 25 years ago. Starting to think they lied to me. :lol:

Telecastoff1, crcic and mkdaws32 like this.
  15. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

I don't give up. I practice at least 1-2 hours every day, yes, up until now i did not skip not even one day. This is my progress after 4 months

The video is uploaded this guy that give me online lessons. Not to brag but now I'm even better. At least I think so, if they don't lie to me too. :D

16. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nice! Keep up the good work!

17. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

Nice playing!

18. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

My church had a butterscotch Affinty Tele sitting around, unused and horribly setup. I think someone had adjusted the bridge for symmetry and not play-ability. Anyway, I decided to take it home and after my setup it played excellent. Also saw a receipt in the case showing it had Duncan pickups upgraded.

After a number of months I bought one off eBay for $75 and returned the church's guitar. I was able to set it up the sameand also installed Fender CS pickups in it.

I liked the guitar and my teenage girls really liked it, the neck shape and weight was right up their alley. To their dismay, I put the original pickups back in and sold it at a profit to help fund my 60s Baja. I like the Baja more,,,the teenage girls don't.

A stock Affinty Tele is a great for beginner, intermediate guitarists and/or someone with a smaller body/hands. They are a breeze to play. No upgrades are necessary. A pickup swap for those that can solder is a difference maker and worthwhile.

I'd buy another at the right price just to have a guitar to kick around.

19. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

That is very nice playing. Keep it up.

20. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Here it is

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.