Squier Affinity pickguard source?

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I recently acquired a sunburst Affinity Tele that I really like, and I want to spruce it up a little with an ivoroid or pearloid pickguard. Is there any place I can order one without having to send in my own pickguard or a tracing??
I just swapped necks on two Affinity Tele's and never turned another screw as far as setup. Thank you, CNC!

Are the pickguards available as inconsistent as the vendors say?

I'm not going to spend a fortune on a pickguard for a $200 guitar, but I would appreciate any experience or advice.

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
Sorry, but I have no crystal ball here to answer your question.

But knowing the exact year of your Affinity Tele’s body might help someone else to.

It would be nice for modders like us considering pickguard swaps, if someone would develop and publish for free public use, an accurate way for us to trace and identify pickguard patterns that could then be used to answer this question.

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I found a pickgaurd for my Squier Affinity at Guitarfetish. I don’t recall any problems installing it. I just loosened the screws on the control plate to help fit in into place then tightened everything down.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
Are the pickguards available as inconsistent as the vendors say?
I must have purchased well over a dozen Tele pickguards over the years, and most of them have fit both my (primarily MIM) Fenders, as well as aftermarket bodies, and even an old Fernandes TE-1 that I used to have.

The makers of the pickguards have run the gamut, from genuine Fender, to AllParts, to Warmoth, to at least two of the cheaper companies on Amazon (Musiclily and Kaish). Most have fit very much as the original pickguard did, at least IME.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
Well, I removed my existing pickguard and took it to the local music store a few days ago, to see if Fender guards even came close to matching the screw holes and general fit. Turned out they had one pearloid guard that looked to be a perfect fit when we compared the two. I wish it was a bit aged, but maybe that will come with time...upon removal of the original guard, it was considerably whiter underneath than on top, and I know it wasn't parchment to begin with...so I think time will blend everything a bit better.

Everyone seems to really prefer the fancier one, see what you all think.

Before:

20220513_160137.jpg

After:

20220513_160020.jpg

Last edited:

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
Well, I removed my existing pickguard and took it to the local music store a few days ago, to see if Fender guards even came close to matching the screw holes and general fit. Turned out they had one pearloid guard that looked to be a perfect fit when we compared the two. I wish it was a bit aged, but maybe that will come with time...upon removal of the original guard, it was considerably whiter underneath than on top, and I know it wasn't parchment to begin with...so I think time will blend everything a bit better.

Before:

View attachment 984513

After:

View attachment 984514

Yes!! The pearloid guard on sunburst looks great!! That’s what’s on my Squier VM 72 Thinline. I preferred it over the “natural” finish- :cool:

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Holic
I really like those Affinity guitars. The newer ones have a "belly cut" and are thinner. Input
jack is even more robust and "trusting" than the MIM telecasters. It don't mean a thing, unless
it's got that swing.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter

Before:

View attachment 984513

After:

View attachment 984514
Wow. That looks gorgeous.

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
The pearl looks very sharp :)
I had no idea that consistency was an issue.
I just ordered a scratch-plate off eBay for au$20.00
I'll post if it fits 👍

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I might have over-thought this at first, I should have taken my pickguard to the local music store sooner.

My #1 Tele is a Lite Ash, which has a 22 fret neck with overhang. The pickguard for it proved to be a whole different cut, when I bought one years ago. Any competent pickguard vendor has a Lite Ash template, however.

As an aside, take my advice: don't ever deal with Pickguard Planet. I have never in my half century of life been treated so rudely by someone to whom I was initially willing to give money lol.

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
My new pickguard arrived, and no, it is not a perfect fit.
Its close, but...

scratchplate.jpg

Its also got the two little holes for the neck pickup, but the Affinity neck pickup is mounted to the body, so there's that too.
Instead of just screwing it on, its now "a job", with drills and gluing. Oh well.
It looks nice though, its 3 ply and its brand is Fleor.

:::

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
Its close, but...

View attachment 1000807

Its also got the two little holes for the neck pickup, but the Affinity neck pickup is mounted to the body, so there's that too.
Instead of just screwing it on, its now "a job", with drills and gluing. Oh well.

You can see the unnecessary pickup screw holes in mine as well. I decided to not worry about it.

John Stephen

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Its close, but...

View attachment 1000807

Same on the pickguard I got for my Bullet Tele. I had to shave some off of that curve that goes around the end of the control plate. It didn't take too long. On your Affinity, since the neck pickup is mounted into the body, does that mean you have to remove the pickguard if you want to raise or lower the height of that pickup?

wraub

TDPRI Member
A while back I got a few pickguards for free, unbranded. This is unfortunate because when I went to put one on my Squier VM Strat, it fir perfectly, with no issues. I still have two others waiting for use, but I may never know the maker.

On an Affinity Bass I used a guard from Greasy Groove. I think that guard was for a MIA bass but a little filing got it fitting perfectly on the Affinity. I see they have a whole section of 'guards for Affinity guitars, may have saved me some time. :D

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
does that mean you have to remove the pickguard if you want to raise or lower the height of that pickup?
Yes, John, but that's no biggie, and its done now 👍 Also, the pickup is going to be more stable, if that's ever an issue.

I used a guard from Greasy Groove. I think that guard was for a MIA bass but a little filing got it fitting perfectly on the Affinity. I see they have a whole section of 'guards for Affinity guitars, may have saved me some time. :D
Just been to check out Greasy Groove, OMG, way to pimp your guitar. And they offer the "no pickup height screws" option too 😍

Last edited: