squier affinity butterscotch blond

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by KC3CDU, Jul 17, 2016.

1. KC3CDU

KC3CDU TDPRI Member

i'm thinking about picking up this telecaster but i hear people talking about how the pickups are harsh. , does this mean that their stupidly bright or something entirely different?

also, i think this guitar will do the trick for me and i wonder if i could get that Don Rich sound out of it or that Brent Mason sound out of it.

in any case, i'm running into the fly rig 5 from Tech21.

shalom

2. Lithsp

Lithsp TDPRI Member

Mate the pickups aren't bad at all considering the price, the problem I have with the Affinity series is the pickups are noisy.

The pickups in these lack the depth of the pickups in the MIM Standards or other higher priced Teles but they do sound like a Tele, there's no reason you can't sound like any Tele player you want, still a Tele. They do sound brighter than other pickups. Not piercing or overbearing unless you make it so.

They also have less range on the tone knob and volume knob, and the ones I've played kinda went from 0 volume to like 10 instantly.. the electronics could maybe be replaced..

They're still a great place to start and will definitely sound like a Telecaster.
    All you can ask for, really!

xafinity likes this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Check the neck profile and see if it matches what you want. Some of the Squire Tele necks are carved like the thin Squire Strats while others are regular chunky Tele carve. Check if the guitar is China or Indonesian built.

The pickups can sound great or not depending on a lot of factors, pickup height to the strings, pots and caps actual values relative in their factory tolerance spec, amp you are driving it into, and so on. If they are too bright you can swap in a lower value volume pot. I have a Squire Tele Standard and it was kind of blah until I changed the tone cap that gave the guitar amazing depth, so I still have it. I've done the same with other much pricier guitars than the Affinity. My often played Tele is a rescued Affinity with the chunkier neck (full replacement of electronics and pups because all that had been demolished by prior owners).

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I have this exact guitar and did replace the original pickups, but I would not describe the stock bridge pickup as "harsh". The problem I had with it was dullness and lack of "punch" on the low E string, which I could not correct not matter where I adjusted it. Everything else about it was fine. I replaced it with the cheapest GFS Alnico pickup they had (about $22) and it solved the low E string problem. The neck pickup was dull and lifeless (to my ears at least), so in went a cheap $8 Chinese no-name P90.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  5. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

Buy a set of used USA pickups and slap em in... cheap and effective....takes it into a new league!

6. hippychip

hippychip Tele-Meister

I bought mine with the idea that I would gut it and upgrade everything. There are a few things that could use some improvement, but so far I have only changed the selector switch because it was cutting out in the middle position.[​IMG]

7. KC3CDU

KC3CDU TDPRI Member

thanks y'all for the responses.

to the individual saying that their noisy, just how noisy are they? i'm planning on running direct into my fly rig 5 with that going into my interface.

also, i personally dig that bright sound of a bridge pickup.

some of you say to get new pickups and slap them in there. i'm blind and would have a hard time doing that as such.
    also, another thing is there is no shops near by where i could have it done. thus, i get it and like it or get it and hate it.

is it worth purchasing.

i'll be running in any case into my tech21 fly rig 5.

shalom

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  8. KC3CDU

KC3CDU TDPRI Member

i hear that their getting better as time gos on.

shalom

9. KC3CDU

KC3CDU TDPRI Member

what are you running them into? what kind of an amp or interface?

i plan on running them into my fly rig 5 which will run into my interface.

shalom

10. KC3CDU

KC3CDU TDPRI Member

i
    can't. i'm blind and there's no shops in the area. i either get it and like it or get it and hate it.

11. Ripradiant

Well, doesn't sound like you have any options then. But just to put it in perspective standard USA pickups are pro grade equipment.. they've been good enough for the best musicians of the world. Why would you need anything more! Also if you don't like em -there is always the bass, treble, mid and other knobs to adjust!

12. KC3CDU

KC3CDU TDPRI Member

that's kind of my thought as well.

would the standard be better?

why or why not.

shalom

13. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

On which are they chunky? I've got a Chinese one, the neck is quite fat, much chunkier than my Affinity Strat. I guess there's a lot of randomness

14. KC3CDU

KC3CDU TDPRI Member

the guitar i'm looking at was made in Indonesia and has ceramic pickups in it. personally, i like ceramic over alnico as i find that ceramic sounds better to my ears.

shalom

15. Ripradiant

shalom KC3CDU - by standard, if you mean Mexican standard pickups I'd say no. USA standard is a diff league: and the reality is if one is willing to buy used then you can get a top grade set cheaper than you can buy substandard ones for. IMO the best sound upgrade you can do -apart from learning to play really well!

16. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

+1 all the way. I dropped the bridge pickup hieght in my Affinity to reduce the edge, and get closer to my stock MIM tele.

17. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm going all the way back to the OP and try to answer this question only.

No. An Affinity will sound like a Tele typically sounds but not exactly like those that Don Rich played or like Brent Mason now plays because the pickups, bridges, and the guitars themselves are entirely different. All of that also contributes to any players sound.

The Tele's I've often seen Brent Mason play have an entirely different pickup configuration than an Affinity and the pickups in his guitar alone would have cost more than a Squire Affinity itself costs.

You say in your posts that you prefer the tone of ceramic pickups yet Don Rich played US made Tele's with Alnico pickups in them so there would be at least some basic tonal difference between what you prefer and Don Rich played.

I'm not trying to be harsh here just straight to the point and honest. No one should buy a $200 guitar and expect it to be even close to a tonal equal of the custom made guitars played by those they'd like to emulate. Then there's the players skills that also adds to the tonal differences. The closest a Squier Affinity will get to sounding like Brett Mason is if Brett is playing one himself.

I would simply buy the guitar and play it for a bit. For the money they actually play quite well. Then I would decide if and how it might be improved upon playing through your rig with your hands on the throttle. You may actually find you like is as is and if not at least you'll have hands on idea of what direction to go in to improve it which in the case of a Brent Mason style Tele would require two new and different type pickups than those which come stock with an Affinity.

18. KC3CDU

KC3CDU TDPRI Member

no no no. dude, what i am talking about is the standard telecaster. people say it's a step up from affinity. honestly, you are only getting alnico pickups which i'm not a fan of and better hardware.

if i purchase the guitar it will be the blond affinity telecaster. i'll also get the gig bag. i'm currently debating between the telecaster and the super spring theory from subdecay.

shalom

19. KC3CDU

KC3CDU TDPRI Member

greetings, i actually thought of that when creating this post. however, my fly rig 5 from tech21 is one amazing pedal. it can make a first act guitar sound nice bright and twanggy. it can make an acoustic electric from fender sound nice and bright as well. it's simply beautiful what this little piece of gear can do.
    if you go to my channel you can hear it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/c/brothertimothyclark

shalom

20. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Well then you're all set aren't you but I still stand but what I've posted. Ground horse meat may look like ground steak but once you taste it you'll know it's not. You asked, I answered.

Good luck with your search for the tone of Brent Mason and Don Rich but somewhere along the way you just might want to focus on finding your own as well. That one always sounds the best. ;)

Ripradiant likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.