squier 72 thinline pickups

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Pigman, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Pigman

Pigman TDPRI Member

I really want a 72 thinline, and this new Squier makes them damn cheap. Can someone please tell me if the Squier's pickups are the same as the mim or USA pickups?

This post says they are the same as Lee Ranaldo's USA guitar:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/squier-tele-forum/502137-ngd-squier-vm-72-thinline-picture-heavy.html

This post says they are Korean made:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecast...ified-telecaster-custom-2012-review-long.html

The Squier looks like a nice guitar, but are the pickups the same? Too good to be true?

2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Korean made.

3. crowhaven2000

crowhaven2000 Tele-Meister

I can't say where they are made, or what they are the same as. But they are surprisingly (to me anyway) awesome pickups. I don't care where they are made.
    I have an Epiphone Dot (96) that is made in Korea. I loved the pickups in it. No doubt Korean made buckers. For some stupid reason I put Gibson 57 classics in it. Regretted it immediately. Not that the Gibson pups aren't okay, but I sure liked the old generic ones better. I bought a Chinese ES 339 (2 in fact) with Asian humbuckers. Fricken awesome pickups. I basically got back what I lost when I changed pickups out on my Dot.
    The 72 thinlines are affordable. Well worth the money if not more. it's a buyers market. Enjoy it. I really like mine.

4. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

They are not the same as the pickups in Lee's guitar. The ones in his sig model are different than all the other WRHBs in Fenders line up. The re-voiced version, like the ones found in Squiers actually sound better than anything that comes in the older American or Mexican models. They still don't sound great, but they are a big improvement.

5. mooninmyboot

mooninmyboot TDPRI Member

My '72 Thinline came in this Wednesday. I don't know where the pickups are made (I haven't removed the pickguard yet) but they sound pretty good to me for $299. They'll rage if you ask them too but they still clean up nice and chime through my little 6 watt VHT tube amp.

6. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

They're definitely made in Korea. I sure wouldn't (didn't) let that stop me from picking one up. They sound great. Even if you decided that you still just had to change the pickups, you've got about $600 left over to look at after market pickups with. It's s no-brainer to me.

7. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Yes. This. From what I understand, the original WRHB from Fender was a bit of a disappointment. These new Fender "branded" Korean pickups are an improvement! And for $299 I'm wanting one as well!
    Looks like the finish on the "natural" is good as well- choice grain ing etc.

8. Telenator

Let's be careful now.

The first re-issue WRHB from Fender was a bit of a disappointment.

The "Original WRHB from Fender", (the one made in the 70's) is absolutely stellar!:D

9. 68Telebass

D'oh! Re-issue WRHB….

Yes- Absolutely correct-

Interesting threads on the re-issue, re-voicing, re-sourcing, and re-numbering of these bad boys- enough to make yer head spin- Bottom line for me is- people like the Squier Thinlines available now for $299...

10. Telenator

I currently gig a Squier Tele Deluxe that sounded very good stock. Of course, I couldn't help but change a few things, LOL. Hey, what can I say?

11. 68Telebass

That's the one with the new Korean WRHB branded "Fender"?
    Did/do you like their tone and sound??
    Thanks- Carl

12. Telenator

The re-voiced re-issue WRHB sounds better than the prevous version. It's brighter, more clear, and much closer to a PAF style humbucker. Original PAFs were incredibly bright.

The new WRHBs sound nothing like the 70's originals which is fine if that's not the sound you're after. But they do sound decent.

13. gsmacleod

gsmacleod TDPRI Member

I've got a VM Custom with the WRHB in the neck and while it is no original WRHB, I've gigged with it and find it is a pretty solid pickup. I'm still kicking around the idea of dropping one of Telenator's pickups in it but haven't decided for sure.

Shane

14. atticus899

atticus899 TDPRI Member

I received my sunburst one last week and it's gorgeous and sounds great I took it all apart the night I got it and here's a pic of the pups.

Attached Files:

15. atticus899

atticus899 TDPRI Member

They say G&B pickup co. ltd. not sure who that is?

16. Pigman

Pigman TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the info and replies guys. Telenator, you compared them to pafs. I'm not keen on all the different Gibson pickups, but overall I find Gibsons dark. I was under the impression these Fender buckers were different. Suppose I better play one and find out.

Although, I bet an ash hollowbody and 25.5 scale would give any bucker some spank.

17. Telenator

Early Gibson humbuckers were not dark sounding at all. The original PAFs were rather bright. Listen to any of the vintage sounds from early Les Pauls. They absolutely sing. Listen to any modern Les Paul recordings and you can't even tell it's a Les Paul. Of all the modern players, I think Slash gets a really nice, true Les Paul tone. Look at the pickups he's using.

There comes a point, (in my opinion), where the pickup strength outweighs the tonal contribution made by the wood. The hotter the pickup gets, the more the guitar sounds like a "pickup" and the less it sounds like "wood."

Like everything in this life, it's all about balance. The weaker PAFs of the past allowed that awesome, woody tone of a Les Paul or a 335 to really come through. Nowadays I can't tell the difference. Humbuckers in general have become much louder.

It's a good thing you can still get some true spec PAFs and such from a number of experienced winders.

18. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Hey guys, this may be a dumb question, but what value pots are best with these WRHB, 500K, 1 Meg? .022 tone cap? I will eventually substitute CTS pots, better switch and output jack on this guitar.

I've read so much about all the different variations of these pickups and I'm having a hard time remembering which is which.:oops:

Thanks!
    Z.

19. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I replaced the pots and switch in mine. I stuck with 250K and a .022 filter cap. I find if I bump the treble up on the amp a bit, they are bright enough to suit me.

For reference I usually run the treble on my PRRI around 3-4, for the WRHB's, I bump it up to about 6.

Sound sample from Septmber backing track thread:

https://m.soundcloud.com/mark-cleveland/september01

20. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I have a set of CTS 250K pots and some .022 orange drops hanging around, that would save me a couple of bucks at least though I definitely need a switch. I don't like these circuit board kinda switches, I've replaced them in my other Squier Thinline and my G&L Bluesboy.
    This new Squier 72 Thinline plays like a dream, I still can't believe what it cost.

Your guitar sounds great in the track too!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.