1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Squelch sound on power down

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by 440mhz, Aug 1, 2020.

1. 440mhz

440mhz Tele-Meister

Happy Weekend. I just bought a Crate 5v 5 watt amp and I put a new 10" 30 watt 8 ohm Celestion Super 10 speaker in it ( matching the stock one). I had to pull the chassis out of the cab to remove the speaker. When I put it back together and turned it on and saw the Light indicator was blown. Also when I power down I get a squealing sound for about 1 second. I Googled my issue and came across on another forum that it's the capacitors discharging making that sound. There were no answers on how to get rid of it. Any of you Amp Guru's out there have any suggestions.

2. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

It's normal. Just leave it.

3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

One section of the amp oscillates and the rest of the amp reproduces it until the filter capacitors run out of juice. Not much to do about it.

4. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Bleeder resistor?

5. 440mhz

440mhz Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone, it just seemed weird that it happened right after a speaker change. Thankfully it's become a barely a clicking sound when powering down. My first tube amp and first quirk.

6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Weird sounds during power up/down are sometimes just part of the amp. Caps charging and discharging, relays activating or deactivating, lots of reasons this can happen.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.