1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Squaring lumber without a jointer

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by newuser1, Jan 28, 2021.

1. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

Check out this video. I made one as I too am without a jointer. It works like a charm. I believe this lady is also a guitar player!

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

You can use sandpaper, but you need to purchase something like a piece of glass, or a tile that is absolutely flat.

wadeeinkauf and crazydave911 like this.
  3. LuckyJinx

LuckyJinx Tele-Meister

I bought a new unbranded #5 from a seller on ebay for £15 (I figured it would work for a scrub plane so I didn't need to use the Stanley for that). It took me hours of running it back and forth over sandpaper to get a reasonably flat bottom, and the blade was actually concave (not the iron itself, that was ok and didn't take too much work to flatten the back, even). The actual cutting surface was not square to the iron side, and the corners stuck out farther than the middle of the blade.

Still, it's metal, all the bits are there and shaped more or less like they should, if somewhat rough edged, the handles aren't bad, and after a fair bit of work to get the fundamental bits in working order, it's fine. It's not a scrub yet, I shaped the iron straight, and I'm getting long thin shavings with it. The edge seems to hold up to at least a bit of work. Definitely buyer beware, it's more like they're selling you a kit to put together your own plane.

On the other hand, the Stanley is a 1975 and still cost me north of £25, so I guess the "cheaper than a used Stanley" is going to depend on the market where you live.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.