1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Squaring lumber without a jointer

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by newuser1, Jan 28, 2021.

1. boop

boop Tele-Holic

I have a few Stanley #5s from the 30s. Paid less than $20 each on local classifieds and a vintage shop. And I have a good miller’s falls smoothing plane (like a #4) that I probably shelled out $35ish for on eBay. People say pre-war Stanley’s are the way to go. Deals seem to depend on your region and patience. I would like a good bench chisel or two… those seem to materialize less often in the places I look.

I recently made a shooting board from some mdf shelving boards that the depot sells for under $4 and successfully jointed a cutting board. Very satisfying

newuser1 and crazydave911 like this.
  2. pmjennin

pmjennin TDPRI Member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  3. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It would be better if you can find one with a longer bed.
    Make sure you start with as straight of an edge as possible, otherwise you plane might just follow the contours of your board. The real trick, especially if you are buying an old plane, is learning how to sharpen and adjust.

4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

My meager collection of planes. The black block plane and the yellow handled chisel were my grand fathers, handed down from my dad. They will go to my wood working son one of these days. Before each build I sharpen all my cutting tools with the "scary sharp" method (wet and dry sand paper on a piece of glass, in my case a piece of kitchen counter top). I sharpen the scraper by rolling the burr with a screwdriver shaft. Lots of vids on the internet showing how.

IMG_5904.JPG

Preparing the top plates for the doubleneck - the carpenter's level in the background has sticky back sand paper on it. After planing I clamp it to to the work bench and rub the plates back and forth on the sand paper

IMG_5869.JPG

Smoothing after the glue up

IMG_5903.JPG

Here is the seam

IMG_5871.JPG

This is thinning the side plates for the classical. They were resawn to slightly over 1/8 of an inch, I want them 0.060 or a little more for bending. The scraper was given to me by a cabinet builder - one of my favorite edge tools

IMG_6382-1.jpg

5. Rjelecaster

Rjelecaster Tele-Meister

Arent the Luban planes supposed to be decent?

(was thinking about getting a no 4)

6. peterg

peterg Tele-Meister

newuser1 - I bought a Stanley #6 plane from a vendor on Kijiji. Works a lot better than the cheap block plane I used to make my first 3 guitar body blanks. It took some research and restoring to clean it up but that's half the fun of old tools. There are plenty of forums and Youtube videos on the subject. The same vendor has a Stanley #5 for sale currently. They are located in Orillia but will ship to Toronto.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1523169736

7. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

Of those two, I certainly wouldn't get the first one. The blue painted ones with plastic knobs and the "kidney bean" lever cap hole tend to have weaker castings and overall lower quality than the USA made, black japaned Stanley's. The second one with red frog looks to be a Millers Falls knockoff, as the red frog and lever cap are very much in line with the good, old Millers Falls tools. Stanleys' get most of the love, but Millers Falls, Ohio, Sargent, Union, and a couple others are also very serviceable.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

as has been seen a bunch of ways- one thing that comes to mind is sand paper on a flat surface and then sand the board to the attached paper

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm sure my old Grand Dad would be chuffed to know his old Stanley plane was building guitars these days.... ;)

plane job4.jpg

10. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Holic

Thanks Peter!

I sent a message to the seller. Did you get yours shipped or did you pick it up?

Peter

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. peterg

peterg Tele-Meister

I had mine shipped. Total was $72 with shipping.

I believe the experienced woodworkers on the forum (I’m not one of them) will tell you to get a #5 or longer for jointing and flattening.

crazydave911 and newuser1 like this.
  12. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

newuser1:

That first one looks rough with that broken side ear. It might be workable, but I'd look for something else.
    The #3 is too small to joint a guitar body easily, but is certainly a handy size for some things.
    Out of all of those, I'd take the #5 from the third listing. That will let you both joint and smooth guitar bodies reasonably well. A #4 makes the smoothing a bit easier, but requires considerably more skill and care to joint with. If you can afford two, a #4 and a #6 make a good set. The extra length of a #7 is wasted on guitar work, since it's longer than the guitar body.

crazydave911 and newuser1 like this.
  13. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

I like your #5 (Stanley?) plane. I just bought myself a new #5 Stanley online ( from HD) for $65 delivered. It does have polymer tote and handle, but the iron and blade are of high quality. I am still just admiring it in the box, and have to hone the blade, to prep the joints of the mahogany for the AcousteleBaum. I have maybe 7 different planes from Grandpa, Dad, and myself, and this makes my second Stanley. I'd rathe like to get WoodRiver or Lie-Nielson, but they are really pricey ($300+). I am too old to require that kind of luxury. I am sure glad my father taught me the joys of planing while I was young. It feels nice to use ancestral tools.

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. peterg

peterg Tele-Meister

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Holic

Who in their right mind would buy any of these :)

I bought the one you recommended and it came to $52 CAD shipping included. Not a bad deal, if indeed it's in a decent shape. Thanks Peter!

Now I only need to learn how to setup, sharpen, and use hand planes :). Do I need a sharpening stone, or can I sharpen a plane with sandpaper only?

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

Some of us are not in our right mind and enjoy making and using things like infill planes :). The guy that makes the Lazarus planes at least originally did only a couple a year as a hobby. If you want to see more over the top planes, go look at Ron Breese, Karl Holtey, and Konrad Sauer. I like making infill planes, but they are pros on a whole other level.

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. peterg

peterg Tele-Meister

There are lots of YouTube vids on refurbishing hand planes. Search “refurbish hand plane”. The one by Paul Sellers is very good. I’ve used sandpaper to sharpen my blade.

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Speaking for myself, I'd use a stone.

But, then, I already have them, so, it's not another purchase.

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.