Spyder II or Behringer V-Tone?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 11 Gauge, Mar 24, 2004.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I'm looking for a modelling toy for my basement that I can get alot of sounds wiith, including some higher gain stuff.

I've narrowed it down to the 2 listed above.

Any pluses or minuses of one or the other?

BTW-it doesn't have to sound like tubes, it just has to sound good. I've already got a Vibrolux, Champ, and others and it will not be replacing any of them.

Thanks for your views.

-11 Gauge

2. B3Nut

B3Nut TDPRI Member

I'd go for the Spider II 112. Very good for a modeler, reasonably priced, light, easy to use, and rugged. Behringer stuff is cheaply priced, but the long-term reliability of their gear is suspect. I have one of their little utility mixers, and one of the mic trimpots failed. I have to keep the knob held down with tape for the pot to make contact and pass signal.

They basically clone whatever other companies are making and undercut them on price using cheaper construction and parts. Their corporate ethics in the minds of many in pro audio leave a lot to be desired, to put it nicely.

If it sounds good it should work OK as a basement beater, but IMHO the Line 6 is a more well-made unit by a company that has a good record for support. My Spider II 112 is currently my only guitar amp (I use a Classic 30 at gigs, but it belongs to our bass player). I prefer tubes, but this little guy kicks butt for what it is, and it sometimes surprises me, especially playing clean. And if you want high-gain OD, there are some good flavors of it in this amp.

TP

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.