1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sprucing Up A Couple Of Cheap P Basses

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by rhythmjones, Mar 19, 2016.

1. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

Years ago, when I first started getting into working on guitars, my friend sold me his old Hamer Slammer P Bass copy for almost nothing to use as a guinea pig.

[​IMG]

I painted it blue very terribly, and it sat around my house mostly unused for a long time.

[​IMG]

I always figured I'd go back to it one day. A few weeks ago I finally got a hair up my ass to do something with it. I really like flatwounds and I've always liked the looks of Fender basses with the covers on. So I decided to do something really wild with it, to knock up the cool factor. After tossing around a few color options, I decided to go with some Krylon Glitter Blast silver in a rattle can.

Painted the body and headstock, added flatwounds and covers, and it's super sweet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bass player in my band liked it so much he offered to buy it from me. I let him have it for what I had in to it, and used that money to buy a CAR Affinity P Bass.

[​IMG]

Of course, I needed to give it the same treatment. So I painted the headstock, put on a mint guard, flatwounds, finger rest and covers. Voila!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I may consider upgrading the electronics at some point, but for now, I've got a pretty cool looking bass that plays and sounds good enough for a minimal investment.

2. jcss

jcss TDPRI Member

Nice work!

3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, nice sparkle! Even nicer score!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.