Springsteen's 1978 era tone - The "Darkness" Story

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bruce_99, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Bruce_99

Bruce_99 Tele-Meister

For all the Bruce/Tele lovers out there..:

Columbia Records To Release Bruce Springsteen's 'The Promise: The Darkness On The Edge Of Town Story' Nov. 16

Box Set Includes 3CD/3DVD Package Of Remastered Album, Never-Before-Seen Studio & Live Footage, 80-Page Notebook, 21 Previously-Unreleased Songs, And An Extraordinary Documentary Film That Will Debut At The Toronto Film Festival Sept. 14 And On HBO Oct 7

Package Features Nearly Six Hours Of Footage, Including Classic 1978 Houston Performance, And More Than Two Hours Of Audio

Columbia To Simultaneously Release 'The Promise' Double CD Complete Songs From Darkness On The Edge Of Town's Lost Sessions

Columbia Records will release Bruce Springsteen's 'The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story' on Nov 16. The Deluxe Package comprises over six hours of film and more than two hours of audio across 3 CDs and 3 DVDs. The media contents are packaged within an 80-page notebook containing facsimiles from Springsteen's original notebooks from the recording sessions, which include alternate lyrics, song ideas, recording details, and personal notes in addition to a new essay by Springsteen and never-before-seen photographs. Containing a wealth of previously unreleased material, 'The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story' offers an unprecedented look into Springsteen's creative process during a defining moment in his career. 'The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story' will additionally be released as a 3CD/3 Blu Ray disc set.

The set will be available as 'The Promise,' an edition which consists of only the unheard complete songs on two CDs or four LPs, along with lyrics and the new essay by Springsteen.

The previously unheard song "Save My Love" and an excerpt from the documentary are now streaming at http://www.BruceSpringsteen.net.

The Deluxe Package includes 'Darkness on the Edge of Town,' digitally remastered for the first time.

CD 1: REMASTERED 'DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN'
    1. Badlands
    2. Adam Raised A Cain
    3. Something In The Night
    4. Candy’s Room
    5. Racing In The Street
    6. The Promised Land
    7. Factory
    8. Streets Of Fire
    9. Prove It All Night
    10. Darkness On The Edge Of Town

"'Darkness' was my 'samurai' record," Springsteen writes, "stripped to theframe and ready to rumble…But the music that got left behind was substantial." For the first time, fans will have access to two discs containing a total of 21 previously-unreleased songs from the 'Darkness' recording sessions, songs that, as Springsteen writes, "perhaps could have/should have been released after 'Born To Run' and before the collection of songs that 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' became."

Highlights include the extraordinary rock version of "Racing in the Street," the never-before-released original recordings of "Because the Night," "Fire," and "Rendezvous," the supreme pop opus "Someday (We'll Be Together)," the hilarious "Ain't Good Enough for You," the superb soul-based vocal performance on "The Brokenhearted," the utterly haunting "Breakaway," and the fully orchestrated masterpiece and title song "The Promise." All 21 songs have been mixed by Springsteen's long-time collaborator Bob Clearmountain. According to long-time manager/producer Jon Landau, "There isn't a weak card in this deck. 'The Promise' is simply a great listening experience."

CD 2: THE PROMISE (DISC 1)
    1. Racing In The Street ('78)
    2. Gotta Get That Feeling
    3. Outside Looking In
    4. Someday (We'll Be Together)
    5. One Way Street
    6. Because The Night
    7. Wrong Side Of The Street
    8. The Brokenhearted
    9. Rendezvous
    10. Candy's Boy

CD 3: THE PROMISE (DISC 2)
    1. Save My Love
    2. Ain't Good Enough For You
    3. Fire
    4. Spanish Eyes
    5. It's A Shame
    6. Come On (Let's Go Tonight)
    7. Talk To Me
    8. The Little Things (My Baby Does)
    9. Breakaway
    10. The Promise
    11. City Of Night

The Deluxe Package also features "The Promise: The Making of 'Darkness on the Edge of Town,'" a documentary directed by Grammy- and Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Thom Zimny. The ninety-minute film combines never-before-seen footage of Springsteen and the E Street Band shot between 1976 and 1978—including home rehearsals and studio sessions—with new interviews with Springsteen, E Street Band members, manager Jon Landau, former-manager Mike Appel, and others closely involved in the making of the record. Advanced word on the documentary is so strong that it was invited to debut at the prestigious Toronto Film Festival on September 14 and will make its television debut on HBO on October 7.

DVD 1: "THE PROMISE: THE MAKING OF 'DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN'"

In addition, the set features more than four hours of live concert film from the Thrill Hill Vault, including the bootleg house cut (the footage that appeared on-screen at the concert) from a 1978 Houston show, and a 2009 performance of 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' in its entirety from Asbury Park. The special performance in Asbury Park was shot in HD without an audience and successfully recreates the stark atmosphere of the original album.

DVD 2: DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN (PARAMOUNT THEATER, ASBURY PARK, NJ,
    2009)
    1. Badlands
    2. Adam Raised A Cain
    3. Something In The Night
    4. Candy's Room
    5. Racing In The Street
    6. The Promised Land
    7. Factory
    8. Streets Of Fire
    9. Prove It All Night
    10. Darkness On The Edge Of Town

THRILL HILL VAULT (1976-1978)
    1. Save My Love (Holmdel, NJ 76)
    2. Candy's Boy (Holmdel, NJ 76)
    3. Something In The Night (Red Bank, NJ 76)
    4. Don’t Look Back (NYC 78)
    5. Ain't Good Enough For You (NYC 78)
    6. The Promise (NYC 78)
    7. Candy's Room Demo (NYC 78)
    8. Badlands (Phoenix 78)
    9. The Promised Land (Phoenix 78)
    10. Prove It All Night (Phoenix 78)
    11. Born To Run (Phoenix 78)
    12. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) (Phoenix 78)

DVD 3: HOUSTON '78 BOOTLEG: HOUSE CUT
    1. Badlands
    2. Streets Of Fire
    3. It’s Hard To Be A Saint In The City
    4. Darkness On The Edge Of Town
    5. Spirit In The Night
    6. Independence Day
    7. The Promised Land
    8. Prove It All Night
    9. Racing In The Street
    10. Thunder Road
    11. Jungleland
    12. The Ties That Bind
    13. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
    14. The Fever
    15. Fire
    16. Candy's Room
    17. Because The Night
    18. Point Blank
    19. She's The One
    20. Backstreets
    21. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
    22. Born To Run
    23. Detroit Medley
    24. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
    25. You Can't Sit Down
    26. Quarter To Three

2. NYC Serenade

NYC Serenade Tele-Meister

This was originally planned for 2008 to commemorate the 30th Anniversary of Darkness On The Edge Of Town. Finally it will be released. Looking very forward to this. I've been a Bruce fan since first hearing him in 1978 and having seen him on The River tour, Born In The USA tour, the 1999 Reunion Tour and The Rising Tour, I am still convinced that the Darkness tour was his best ever.

It ranks among the best tours by any band ever. I have a plethora of bootlegs from the '78 tour and each is outstanding. It will be nice to have this box set... it should be extremely fun to delve into all the material.

3. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

Definitely getting that. Bout time some live stuff from this era gets released. I reckon around this time is pretty much the peak as far as his live shows go. Cheers for posting.

4. Bruce_99

Bruce_99 Tele-Meister

I just pre-ordered my CD/DVD copy

Price: 72,99 € here in Europe (amazon Germany)

BTW: BlueRay and vinyl also available..

5. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

1st time I saw Bruce live was on the Darkness Tour, it changed my life. Sounds kinda corny to say that but it really did. This was at the old Boston Garden and he started off with Elvis' Good Rockin' tonight. I haven't been the same since. I was a fan before but after seeing this I really understood what it was all about. I'll be buyin' the box set for sure.

6. cj11l

cj11l Tele-Meister

Doesnt sound corny at all! Felt the same way after Born in the Usa tour, Joe Louis arena in Detroit. 3 hours of a " rock n roll " revival. Awesome!:lol:

7. stevesz

stevesz Tele-Holic

I'm really looking forward to this set. I was in college at Michigan State and a group of us got together and held places in line all night for tickets to a show Bruce was playing at the Munn Ice Arena. This was the "long-awaited" Darkness tour and I wasn't into Springsteen at all because I thought Born to Run was over-hyped and not a very rock 'n roll record. But I stayed in line for tickets 'cos all my buddies were doing it and it seemed like it was going to be a cool time regardless.

Got my seat in the 11th row, the lights go dark and out of nowhere this booming voice bellows "Open up honey it's your lover-boy me come a knockin'....." followed by a kick drum that sounded like thunder. The band tears into Jerry Lee Lewis "High School Confidential" like a jet taking off and yeah, my whole life changed.

It was also at that show that I realized that you could get a pretty killer lead tone out of a telecaster as Bruce ripped some really torrid solos on "Prove It All Night," and "Because the Night." Never got anywhere with the girl I took to the show, but that was ok.

8. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

This made my decade!! Can't wait!

9. Rooney

Rooney Tele-Meister

Kinda late to the Bruce party, only just about 21, but Darkness is by far my favorite album. Earlier this summer I picked up a mint copy, still sealed, and played the hell outta it for the next month. I'm not normally one to go for box set type deals, but this one may be an exception.

10. gearhead69

gearhead69 Tele-Meister

Thanks for posting this news! Somehow this sort of thing always escapes my attention, as did Tracks, as did the issuance of the Born to Run anniversary edition, but THIS time I'm pre-ordered and ready! Bring it, Sony! BRING IT TO ME!

11. 51Nocast

51Nocast Tele-Meister

I am looking forward to it. It'll be a nice Christmas gift for me.:)

12. Jaxson612

Jaxson612 Tele-Meister

I didn't get Bruce until 'Darkness", and I'm from Jersey! That album really spoke to me.
    Saw him this past year in Philly. He was doing a different album every night. The night I was there it was "Darkness". Incredible!

13. Ati EDGE

Ati EDGE Tele-Meister

Bruce is a livin' legend!!!!! I hope he will come to Europe soon again to tour!!!!!! :D

14. AngryEL34s

AngryEL34s Tele-Meister

Thanks for the post! I'm lookin forward to this. Darkness is my fav Boss album!

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I still have a couple of cassettes from a live concert at the Roxy just before Darkness was released. My brother and I got tix to the show from my sister (it was a hush hush thing and her DJ husband hooked us up)...

I remember going to the pay phone and calling my grandma to 'hit the button' to start the recording... I vividly remember Springsteen telling the radio audience to 'start your recorders' and the band going into "Candy's Room".... great stuff... should be a cool collection...

16. Bruce_99

Bruce_99 Tele-Meister

Received my box today !!! :D:D

FREAKIN' AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The new live "re-recording" from 2009 is amazing -just Bruces's Tele together with Stevie's Strat - no Nils, no background vox..

17. LarryM

LarryM Tele-Holic

Is "Candys Boy" - Candy's Room?
    Great stuff - Beck/Yardsbirdish guitar!

18. gearhead69

gearhead69 Tele-Meister

Aw, man! I'm still waitin'. I got the email that mine shipped on the 11th. It says "delivery by 11/15," but I'm seriously hoping it shows up, say tomorrow? It's going to be hard getting this novel written with that thing sitting there just begging to be played!

19. José

José Tele-Afflicted

The best of his records with Nebraska for me, I bought it in 1978 when I was a kid because it was album of the month in my favorite french music magazine, I'll love to see the concerts of that era.

20. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

HBO is running the documentary, caught it one night about 11PM and just had to stay up and watch it.
    Really loved to see how they made the albumn.
    And they had some up close and personal shots of Bruce's Tele, and it looked road worn back in the 70's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.