Springsteen - Western Stars

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Ron R, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Just came out today - yes, I grabbed it, even though the hype was putting me off a bit. Pretty subdued album overall, but a LOT of tasty stuff on there.
    Favorites on first listen are the title cut, The Wayfarer, Sleepy Joe's Cafe, Hello Sunshine, Moonlight Motel, Sundown, and Chasin' Wild Horses.
    All in all, a damn fine album with sometimes lush orchestration, but not a lot of the bombast and no real fist pumping moments.

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I plan to pick it up at some point as well, but the reviews make it sound to me like a lot of modern Clapton albums....good stuff, but nothing that really moves the needle. I have always found a modern Clapton album to be the perfect album for late night driving through a major city in the rain. It always has that same vibe to me, but it just never inspires me to listen otherwise. With Bruce, I have been a fan years before his break out hits as my Uncle introduced me to his music. I have been to several concerts as early as '85 and really happy to hear that he will be touring in the US again soon.

That all said, I don't have high expectations for the new album, but will always listen to the Boss.

3. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

For what it's worth, I've found it more engaging than say, Devils and Dust. Or even most of The Rising.

Milspec likes this.
  4. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Good description. Sadly it’s more background/reading music, good music there but mellow.
    I know we are all getting old but sometimes I miss the hunger they had when they were young.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Milspec likes this.
  5. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

There is a new record in the works with the E Street band ...

DrASATele and Boubou like this.
  6. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Listened to it a couple of times, admire it, impressed by it, sounds age appropriate to me - the man is 70 after all. But I’ll probably never listen to it again. Just isn’t my thing. I rarely listen to any Bruce these days other than the Wild, the Innocent, and the E-Street Shuffle (my all time favorite) and sometimes Born to Run, basically his second and third albums. And when I’m in the mood for mellow depressing Bruce (which I’ve been in too damn much since the end of 2016), I’ll pull out the Ghost of Tom Joad. He had a lot of great stuff but that’s my cream of the crop. I’m like that these days - for the Stones, I’m down to Exile and Let it Bleed, with Neil Tonight’s the Night and Zuma, the Dead it’s any show from 72-74, etc.

Milspec and smartsoul72 like this.
  7. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

I love it!

8. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Meister

Great songs and stories. One of his best in my humble opinion.

9. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

"Tunnel of Love" is one of my favorites. How do you think the new one compares?

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Strong song wise? I think you’re absolutely correct. Definitely one of his best records.

I myself would love to supervise a remastering of that record and see how much 80s we could remove...:lol::lol::lol:

The more years in between Hearing a lot of his music it’s striking how awful so much of it sounds production wise. Which doesn’t matter when the music is crap but when the music is good you just think “wow , those gigantic gated reverb drums just ruined that song !”

Coop47 and DrASATele like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I found myself thinking "this would have fit on Tunnel of Love" several times during my first listen.

12. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Oh god yes, even if we could 70's it the sound would be so much better!

Interesting way to look at it. I need to give it a listen soon.

Looking forward to another E Street Record too.

13. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

That is a strong endorsement

14. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

I’ve gone through periods of being really inspired by Springsteen. I played Born To Run a LOT as a teenager, which was about 15 years after its release.

But his music just doesn’t touch me like it used to. Not sure why. I’m talking ANY of his music. Old, new, whatever.

I’ve always found Springsteen and Petty to be kind of in the same vein, and Petty still does the trick for me, so I just don’t know.

15. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I would love to remaster pretty much all of the 80s.

Actually, for most 80s music, I'd just wipe the tapes.

16. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Completely agree about the production. I don’t know if it’s a function of them emailing parts to each other or Bruce losing parts of his hearing, but I hate the sound of his records since The Rising.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  17. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Just beautiful. Here's to the cowboy....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.