Springsteen sells his music rights

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I remember transposing his music to their correct Keys, as he played them, in the early 70s.
Love his early stuff.
How much money does he think he needs. He's toured here several times, and I'm sure in your country. How much does he think he needs? Will he do something good with 1/2 a $ billion?

You know TT, it's like the great Burt Rynolds once said, "you can never be too thin, or too rich." A couple of our good old boys have amassed a fortune singing about the downtrodden, just think how much money they'd have made if they sang about the rich.:lol::lol::lol:

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
A couple weeks before the deal was finalized,

Bruce did tell me that he was trying to best the GOATS of Tom Joad.

ymmv

rand z

Friend of Leo's
I very much appreciate Bruce Springsteen and his music and views.

However, when I heard 500 million for his catalogue, I balked.

A tremendous live performer... absolutely.

A tremendous songwriter?

Well, his 1st two albums... yes.

After that, imo, hit or mostly miss.

Many of the songs he writes deal with recurring themes and are somewhat redundant.

Melodies are mostly absent and his voice only serves to enforce their absence.

I'm not sure why, or how, Sony will find that kind of return on their investment.

imo.

Tommy Biggs

Friend of Leo's
I can see the logic of it.
It’s a lot of money.

Your heirs don’t have to fight over what “Dad would have wanted” when the advertisers come calling.

The decisions and questions and wheeling/dealing about your music are no longer your problem. Let SONY figure it out!

Your income is much more plan -able when you have half a billion dollars working for you.

At 70 years old, he’s entitled to talk about ‘the working man’ without actually being one.

I feel like I wish guys like Muddy or Chuck Berry, Willie Dixon, or even the old time rockers could have got some kinda deal like that, not someone like Leon Chess or whoever offering the $100 for the rights to their music.

Alcohen

Tele-Meister
These are all estate planning moves. Heirs inherit a certain amount of money instead of businesses and various income streams that have to be managed or run into the ground.

It's the end stage of rock 'n roll's encounter with a harsh world. From "Hope I die before I get old," to "The Who Sell Out," to car commercials, to estate planning.

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
I don’t so much question why Springsteen sold out but what Sony sees in owning his catalogue for the price they paid. I think the overall general concept is owning iconography and applying that iconography to marketing opportunities. In the future when he isn’t alive I have a difficult time thinking that his appeal will be anything more than a bit of macho symbolism. Maybe some of his imagery music could be part of movie soundtracks, but he doesn’t check off the boxes like someone like Dylan or Bowie does. Lots people have covered Dylan songs for hits and Dylan’s heyday was during a much more pivotal musical era. Bowie was a chameleon with an all gender draw. Has Springsteen ever had a number one hit? Maybe Hungry Heart? That song sounds very dated to me.

Last edited:

Turtleneck

Tele-Holic
Bruce gushes about equality and justice all the while hiding behind 12 foot tall walls of his estate guarded by armed men.

Hypocrite.

Informal

Tele-Afflicted
Bruce gushes about equality and justice all the while hiding behind 12 foot tall walls of his estate guarded by armed men.

Hypocrite.

This deal should provide hope for every younger mediocre aspiring musician.

I don't often bash successful Musicians, because I know the look it creates is never good...

But I'll take the flak and say it...
This dude sold his soul to the devil... There is literally no other explanation for his colossal success

Just awful..