1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Springsteen killer Tele playing

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by coreytree, Apr 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Awkirk

Awkirk TDPRI Member

C'mon gang if you haven't seen this, you need to. This is tone. Telecaster thru a bassman with an echoplex? The dude can rip! Not to mention the other guys in the E street band

jkats, Tele295, Martian and 9 others like this.
  2. Awkirk

Awkirk TDPRI Member

Hell yeah, this kills. Great example of the telecaster doing it all just with a good amp and intelligent use of knobs. Great fun tune too.

coreytree, RoscoeElegante and mimmo like this.
  3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Been a fan of the Boss since the 70s and really only love the first three albums. Having said that " Born to Run" is my favourite solo. Like his hero, Roy Orbison, it's got a catchy ( exciting) 7 note hook and goes on for more. He plays a lot of good 'uns but that's the one after 40+ years that still gets me excited.

Blister, Greggorios and coreytree like this.
  4. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

WOW!
    That's the guitar tat started it all for me, thanks for posting this.

Awkirk and coreytree like this.
  5. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This song, and ALL the guitar work it, is highly underrated.

6. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

7. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Love this movie!
    The first time I saw Bruce in it I literally jumped off my chair!

Greggorios and smoothrecluse like this.
  8. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Would that actually work? Seems like it might just make you sound bad.. Especially when you add a little rhythm to the mix. Curious about this.

9. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Off-topic, but he doesn't get enough credit for his harmonica playing, either. And, like much of his stuff, it's best when he drops the bombast and just does it on its own terms.

Then there's his voice. Until his recent years, when he's resorted to that too-constant a Southwestern timbre, he had about 10 voices. He was a one-man-band of American tones, from raw rock-n'-roll fun to whispered worry to searing pain. Always with the great, great phrasing that you can hear so well here:

With Mr. Prine now gone, we don't have too many around who can voice someone who came back from a murky war too shattered to have been the father he wanted to be, as he found solace where he could until he can, here, say sorry to his now-grown kid.

There's also this:

And this, bending almost machine sounds into a real sigh of the soul.

Last one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0RNWwXcQiU

Forgive the man the vanity at the edges of his big heart. We're very lucky to have him. AND he knows that Tele!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  10. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

If you think about it, most electronic tuners (not really good ones) are only accurate to 1 cent +/-. So, theoretically even your average band may be out of tune by that much if they just relied on garden variety electronic tuners. (Seeing how a lot of guitarists keep a clip on on their headstocks, I may not be too far off on that assumption.) I am not saying that I am absolutely correct, but I would be curious if anyone else shares my observation about his pitch during solos.

11. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

1 cent is not even audible. I'm sure that bands , even good famous ones, are often "out" by a few cents. This happens in the course of playing. Heck, even your own guitar is out with itself by more than that due to the physics of the instrument.

To be purposely out though, I've never heard of that. Not saying it's not true.

12. GHOSTULUS

GHOSTULUS TDPRI Member

All of Bruce Springsteen's music is of Merit and or great. But his first four albums through Darkness are exceptional rock and roll, and this was before he cutback on his lead guitar playing for songwriting. Pure StreetWise poetry, and in the case of Darkness on the edge of town, pure anger at the establishment and his manager in particular. And it showed and every venue he played, and I was there in Phoenix in 1978, and let me tell you, dancing on top of a grand piano playing leads, sliding halfway across the stage on his knees coming to a stop under Clarence where the big man would belt out a sax solo. That's my lasting image of Bruce and his tele. And a band so tight, I'm sure they needed a stiff drink and soak in a hot tub just to get their nuts hanging in the right place again

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Wrighty, Blister and mimmo like this.
  13. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

At that time he had to play more guitar because Little Steven was so limited. Once Nils Lofgren started he dropped his guitar whenever he wanted.

14. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

Have a look at this solo at the end of the song by Nils Lofgren.

mimmo and Wally like this.
  15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I am a Springsteen fan from way back in the ‘70s. I have been listening to ‘Western Stars’ lately...trying to enjoy it. There are too many violins...too much orchestration. It is my least favorite of all of his work. Ommv...

16. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I saw a couple of shows back then as well. He played a lot of solos trading off with Clemons as well.

I think so. My dad thought he headlined as Bruce Stringbean as well.

Crobbins likes this.
  17. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This thread just popped to life again and I happened to see your post - must have missed it first time through. I was at that Phoenix show as well (or was it Tempe - I thought it was at ASU). I also saw them in Tucson a few months later on that tour in I think November. They played Because The Night so ungodly hot I thought the roof was coming off the place - I could hardly breathe. I caught them in Phoenix again in November 1980 on The River tour. It was OK, but I didn't think it was in the same league as those '78 shows...

-Ray

18. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

The intensity here and the guitar playing is insane

19. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

I liked the 88 tour

20. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

Tele295 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.