1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Spring time for pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by rooboo, Aug 24, 2018.

1. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

I bought a Seymour Duncan STR-1 neck pickup. They call it Vintage Tele and is made to sound like a new replica of an original 1954 tele pickup. Well I don't know about that, but I like the pickup.

But they delivered it with vintage style tubing instead of ordinary pickup springs. I think they work less well than the springs. The tubing is less "springy" and does not make me put the pickup in the exact height I prefer.

But before I go swap them out – is there any reason for using old style tubing? I mean soundvise. Anybody have an opinion regarding this?

Regards,

2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Pay your money, take your choice. I don't think there's a difference you can hear.

I like the tubing because it won't jump out when I fat-finger the assembly. :)

LutherBurger, rooboo and nicod98 like this.
  3. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

It's not a money issue. I have spare springs. It's just that the tubing does not let me raise the pickup high enough. When it's fully flexed I still have a bit further I'd like to go. But if it is like you said – no difference in sound – then I'm gonna just do it.

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 2004 hwy. 1 Telecaster. It cane with really cheap pickups, not even a metal plate on the bridge. S , after advice from Kelvin Ho ( in Singapore) I put in a set of Alnico11! Tonerider Classics.

Well now I have three with Toneriders and they sound great.
    However I want a set with real guts for that older Fender ( built the other two since).

Any suggestions. Please not Cavalier as I can't afford that but something along the Fender range perhaps, Texas Specials or '62s ?? Lollars??
    Any advice? My local pickup winder, Mick Brierly, will only wire up to 10K Ohms in resistance. I want to make my original Telecaster have b...s
    Any help/suggestions welcomed. I can do all the wiring as I have literally wired hundreds of guitars.

5. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Buy more tubing and cut longer pieces. Stew mac sells it. Springs can contribute to microphonics due to vibrations. I only use tubing.

rooboo likes this.
  6. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Winter for Poland and France!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Interesting tidbit above about the microphonics, but I've never noticed that. The springs or tubing otherwise have no affect on the sound of the pickup.

Either way rooboo, the cheapest first step is to try some of your spare springs. If you get the right height and no buzz, you're done and you can forget about it and play! There is no reason to buy more stuff if you don't need to.

rooboo likes this.
  7. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

Scissors, dude.

Just trim the tubing a little shorter, so you can raise the pickup to the desired height.

Tim S likes this.
  8. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Am I the only one who thought the full title of this thread was going to be "Springtime For Pickups and Germany?"

knockeduptele likes this.
  9. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Use a sharp pair of scissors to shorten the tubes until you can reach your desired pickup height. (EDIT: For what it's worth, 10mm tubes work well for me.)

I prefer rubber tubes on Tele bridge pickups because, as someone mentioned above, springs can contribute to microphonic behavior.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  10. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

I say if you have and like springs, use them. I think you will be fine. SD includes the tubing because that is traditional, but I think springs work better, too. Great pickup, btw.

Crobbins likes this.
  11. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry, what I meant to convey is that it's a personal preference thing.

Sounds like your pickup mounts on the pick guard. If so, just shorten the tubing.

12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

I use tubing exclusively,, unless someone just requests the springs.... I cut the sections long enough so there's considerable compression when the pups are at the proper height.. that way there is a good solid "connection" between the pickup's mounting the the body of the guitar...

Personally I feel that improves the sound.. but, ya know, everyone thinks I'm crazy... :D

r

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    AAT65 likes this.
  13. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Holic

Tragicomically, no!

Ira7 likes this.
  14. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

”Spring time for pickups?”

Why wait for fall & decay?

rigatele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.