Spring Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DLReed, Jul 31, 2020.

1. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In the world of Surf, Analog Springs and tubes still Rule.
    Size Matters. Look in the back of a Twin Reverb sometime, That's what we're talking about!

If you really want that Colesieum-in-a-can type of Reverb, and, you want it Live on a Stage with you, it's the only way to Ride the Waves.

DLReed likes this.
  2. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone - This is an enlightening discussion for me and has cleared up a few of my own misconceptions.

3. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Meister

+1 on the Catalinbread Topanga being a solid digital pedal emulation of a spring reverb unit.

4. Brian blaut

Brian blaut Friend of Leo's

so it’s not for everyone- it’s meant to be for surfers after the 6g15 circuit. I will say this though, rolling back the tone knob can make it darker than my deluxe reverb, and rolling up the dwell/decay makes the trails last considerably longer than my deluxe. It’s incredibly versatile. But if mellow reverb is the goal, this unit would be overkill in price and space. Not meant for that.

Wally likes this.
  5. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

It's the king of all spring reverb. Next is the reverb in Fender amps. All the rest is just something lesser.
    I think it sounds like a reverb that you might expect to find in some funky little combo amp. It has character. My ideal reverb would be something along the line of what I already have in my old Fender amps. But looking at what is out there to use with a Marshall type amp that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I would rather have something on the funky side than on the digital emulated side where the emulation is a simplified version of the real thing and either there are digital anomalies in the sound or some sort of heavy filtering has been implemented to hide the anomalies. Or it just sounds like a straight up digital big reverb algo. And all of the digital pedals I have heard seem to fall somewhere between the three.

glenlivet and Wally like this.
  6. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

To paraphrase Danny Gatton ...

If ya turn it up
    Loud enough...

Ya don't need reverb ...

Jus sayin..

7. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Found a video comparing the Surfybear to a Fender 6G15. Go to 13 minutes 6 seconds to hear them side by side.

The Surfybear actually sounds alot like the 6G15, which I have no experience with.

8. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Peavey Valverb is a more affordable alternative to the fender units. Tube driven spring reverb and tremolo in a single rack unit.

[​IMG]

Boreas likes this.
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ll still take the Fender. I would really like to run across the second version of the Fender stand alone tube reverb from the ‘70s.

10. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

Agreed senior Wally. I have a 6G15 clone (great) and a Topanga - really nice.

HOWEVER, for about the last year, the plate setting on the original Neunaber Immerse has been blowing my socks off everyday!

The only thing I dont like about it is that the print is too small for geezers to read :)

Boreas likes this.
  11. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Me too. By far. I listened to a bunch of demos of the 6G15 yesterday, and that thing just sounds beautiful. The Surfybear sounds alot like it on the surface, but the 6G15 has more dimension and complexity going on with it. But the prices on 6G15's is more than I paid for any of my amps. I do see that there are some 6G15'ish clones and kits out there. The price of a Weber 5H15 (6G15 reverb circuit and 6G12 tremolo circuit in one) would be doable for me, but I don't think that I'm brave enough to take on something that complex yet.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Boreas and Wally like this.
  12. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Meister

Which one are you referring to?

13. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Meister

Just checked out a YouTube demo and it sounds very good. I would have to make a tweed case for it...

Includes gut shots. Not exactly cheap - a grungy one on eBay is asking $500.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  14. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The tank I personally like best in a Jr is a Belton tank. Antique Electronics Supply sells them.

DLReed likes this.
  15. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I am not a fan of Fender - or any other combo amp reverb, with one exception. Mike Holland, who is now making custom amps to order only, had a unique reverb circuit in his production amps with both level and dwell controls, and integrated into the preamp in a completely different way than Fender (pre-gain). Fender tube combo reverb filters the reverb signal to emphasize highs; Holland runs the re erb through the full frequency response of the preamp like the Fender 6G15.

So I never used Combo reverb unless I was playing surf music - for years I used two analog delays with subtle settings and different speeds/repeats. I still prefer analog delay with pedal steel; with guitar I generally use either my brown or blonde 6G15 reverb unit, or a Van Amps "Sole Mate" Spring Reverb pedal. Solid state, but they got it right.

Other Reverb pedals are paperweights IMO, and I dislike the voicing of Peavey's units.

In tube combos you CAN tweak the voicing a bit - *IF* you understand electronics and how to design preamps, select coupling and bypass caps and work with subtleties of lead dress (which can affect tonality of reverb circuits.)

But as far as the amps with solid-state reverb circuits in a tube amp - a different tank may get you more or less reverb intensity but is VERY unlikely to affect the voicing. If you don't like the reverb voicing IMO either stick a vintage (and SERVICED!!)6G15 - not a reissue - in front of the amp and listen. If that works, great. But "drippier" can be awful if the reverb is voiced with strong treble!

If it doesn't work for you, you have the wrong amp - and based on my personal experience with heat related problems with those PCB's, I think you have the wrong amp in more ways than reverb.

16. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I just took a listen to some demos of that. Sounds good. More to my liking than the Surfybear. And the price is good. It's a good fit for me. But damn, it's discontinued! Is Van Amps no longer in business?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  17. mojavedesert

mojavedesert Tele-Meister

The rreverb2-1.jpg SurfyBear kit is a nice thing to tweak. The tank makes the sound. Their unit will accept so many different tanks, you can try almost any type and it works. I tried a few tanks before I got a 70's usa, accutronics, two spring, long decay tank. I got it out of an peavey PA mix board from a swap meet that didn't work. I looked inside and saw the tank, and bought it, just for the tank. $20. It sounds beautiful.

I have two MOd tanks vertical and horizontal, similar size and specs to the accutronics, the mods are just not even close. They're just sitting in a box somewhere, unusable to me.

I put mine in a traditional diy pine cab.

glenlivet likes this.
  18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Boreas likes this.
  19. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Meister

20. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Weber has kits based on the classic 6g15 Fender standalone tube reverb, plus the ReVibe that also has harmonic vibrato.

Based solely on my ReVibe and a FrankenAmp I built, using an output tube for the reverb driver seems to be the difference maker to my ear (6v6 or 6k6 in the ReVibe, EL84 in my Frankenamp).
    Vibrokings also used an EL84 type for the reverb driver.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.